Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

well. The biggest Tokai AGM ever, brought about 50 cyclists together at Crysalis a year or so back. Pathetic!

way more than 50, ran out of chairs!

But ja, the time now should be spent ensuring that tokai reopens as the mtb,trail,hiking,horsey,nature urban jewel it should be.

I'm not sure how we do that, but user groups need to work together.

That's what we are doing, shebeen. We're almost done with the project charter, and are setting a time to hand it over to parks. Once that's done we'll be continuing to ask for earlier access so that we can get back in and revitalise and bud new trail. Vince is mapping out new dh trail at the moment and working on a few more things on the peninsula together with Reto and a couple more people, and Jason is working on the green belts.

There will be a newsletter coming out this week, detailing where we are, where we were and where we want to be. But for now, all it is is exactly the same as it was a month ago. Cape pine are logging extensively, there's only one access road to the park which means that they can't delineate one side of the mountain for mtb use - it'd just be too dangerous. In addition we haven't exactly been making the best name for ourselves with riding where we're not supposed to be riding, so the blanket closure was expected - we just weren't expecting it to be that long.

We are aiming to get in there sooner, and if we can start work on the trails mid winter to end winter and have uninterrupted building then we should have something mega by the time the park reopens in (now) 16 months time.

Anyway. We will let you know of any developments. For now, they are slow. But we are working on things even though it can't be seen. Rob, on the other hand, is in a sector of the park that was un touched by the fire. Plus we have all been campaigning for YEARS to get the Cecilia section open end for cyclists. It wasn't just a snap decision by parks. The time was just right, and they opened it.

Yes, a club structure would be great, but then again we need to get certain things in place for that and then it'd be another fee and another number board and another set of rules. But maybe that's the best way to go to get Joe Bloggs invved in the trail building and repair without actually lifting a finger. That option is still there, though. But again - I'd rather suggest waiting to see what happens with the project charter, and whether we'll be allowed in sooner than the 18 month timeline before requesting sponsorships.

Anyway. More to come later this week

Edited by El Capitan

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are aiming to get in there sooner, and if we can start work on the trails mid winter to end winter and have uninterrupted building then we should have something mega by the time the park reopens in (now) 16 months time.

If we can get this right, I'll be stoked.  I'll be there as often as possible shoveling dirt around to make it awesome.

Trail builders have to test what they build, no?  :ph34r:

If we can get this right, I'll be stoked.  I'll be there as often as possible shoveling dirt around to make it awesome.

Trail builders have to test what they build, no?  :ph34r:

We would need a lot of help because if the proposal goes through the amount of work that would be needed is massive.

Unfortunately my evil plans for a secret six month test period for builders only has been knocked back so far...

Table Mountain National Park Tokai and Silvermine closure presentation confirmed to take place in two weeks. Date and venue to be confirmed so keep a look out on Facebook, Twitter and theHubsa.

As with the ZAPO talk last night, it is presentation on the closure and questions will be answered at the end.

Did any Zwaanswyk and /or Tokai residents go to the meeting?

From the Tokai Trailbuilders FB page

I attended the SANParks meeting last night as a resident of Zwaanswyk. No free booze, but there was a presentation on the current situation in the former Tokai plantation. The focus is currently twofold, it seems. Firstly to get all the pine and gums out as soon as possible - they reckon it will take 6 months - and secondly to stabilize and protect the slopes from what is likely to be some nasty erosion. The intense heat from the burning aliens has caused damage to the depth of about a meter. I asked a specific question about what the plans were for mountainbiking and the answer was positive. They see it currently as having a blank canvas and the opportunity to put in a "world class mountainbiking facility" and want to engage the MTB forum and include good trail building ideas. Meetings are scheduled and some of you may be involved with this. He mentioned that they weren't keen to invest in infrastructure in the previous pine plantations as this would inevitably be lost when logging occurred. Time frames given where that Silvermine would likely open in October and Tokai in 18 months or so. I think the message is that we need to engage with them, put forward our ideas and proposals to get what we want.

"Time frames given where that Silvermine would likely open in October and Tokai in 18 months or so."

MMM only 4 months to go..until i can get off that windy Devils peak,now just to find a path up to Silvermine from Tokai and avoid the tar road.

Edited by howardsteele

Did any Zwaanswyk and /or Tokai residents go to the meeting?

From the Tokai Trailbuilders FB page

I attended the SANParks meeting last night as a resident of Zwaanswyk. No free booze, but there was a presentation on the current situation in the former Tokai plantation. The focus is currently twofold, it seems. Firstly to get all the pine and gums out as soon as possible - they reckon it will take 6 months - and secondly to stabilize and protect the slopes from what is likely to be some nasty erosion. The intense heat from the burning aliens has caused damage to the depth of about a meter. I asked a specific question about what the plans were for mountainbiking and the answer was positive. They see it currently as having a blank canvas and the opportunity to put in a "world class mountainbiking facility" and want to engage the MTB forum and include good trail building ideas. Meetings are scheduled and some of you may be involved with this. He mentioned that they weren't keen to invest in infrastructure in the previous pine plantations as this would inevitably be lost when logging occurred. Time frames given where that Silvermine would likely open in October and Tokai in 18 months or so. I think the message is that we need to engage with them, put forward our ideas and proposals to get what we want.

Great to hear, and thanks for the feedback. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Geez, hope there is a mountain left standing when the rain clears?

HECTIC downpour in Tokai!

Every time I see this thread coming up, I get excited and pray to read

an announcement that Tokai is OPEN!!!

I know - in about 500 months! (that's what it feels like!)but I will wait patiently!

Edited by Bloukrans

Geez, hope there is a mountain left standing when the rain clears?

HECTIC downpour in Tokai!

Has Noah started building? :whistling:

In Claremont I expect to see the whitewater kayakkers coming down our street any minute now. ;)

Has Noah started building? :whistling:

In Claremont I expect to see the whitewater kayakkers coming down our street any minute now. ;)

Cape Pine want a million per compartment, we are all stuck!

HEY, can we ski behind the landi?

• 3 weeks later...

Could we please have an update on the progress made so far in Silvermine ?

Are they still on track to open in October ?

Thanks