Tokai and Silvermine to remain closed to the public

News bot

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timed to coincide with tourist arrivals in cape town therefore the 16th.

Lots of vehicles in and out the last few weeks so I assume they behind with replacing signage and woodwork

That's my thinking as well, but I want to see the actual date made public first. We've been made foools of before with a yes but no approach (shuttle days, anyone?)

Why was no one from Tokai MTB there at the march? I know you didn't support the general idea but you could very well have been there to make people aware of what you have been doing as a few people were allowed to talk to the crowd and the march got Bell to actually address users directly which he usually avoids. I think it was an opportunity missed.

Edited by Slapsock

Why was no one from Tokai MTB there at the march? I know you didn't support the general idea but you could very well have been there to make people aware of what you have been doing as a few people were allowed to talk to the crowd and the march got Bell to actually address users directly which he usually avoids. I think it was an opportunity missed.

Glad PPA could be there. You should have received all the info you need from this group as they too sit on the forum and have equal knowledge of the process. As I understand, the representative sent did speak.

So, how was the march? How many people showed up? Nobody seems to know anything about the outcome. The thread asking for support also died.

Timed to coincide with tourist arrivals in cape town therefore the 16th.

Lots of vehicles in and out the last few weeks so I assume they behind with replacing signage and woodwork

Quite likely that it will be around that time. I didn't get a fixed date but the original estimate of end Dec seems more likely now to be a week before Christmas.. As for the reasoning, I'll go with your guess, I guess. ;)

Regarding "official" announcements, if I see one released I'll certainly pass it on.

So, how was the march? How many people showed up? Nobody seems to know anything about the outcome. The thread asking for support also died.

Was there a thread looking for support? I know the FB page has stopped providing "info", there was even a chap who deleted all his posts but considering he was just pouring fuel on the fire, passing on what he thought was "his best info", I'm not surprised. Tokai was never set to reopen in Dec 2017 and he stuck by his guns mind you. Would not listen to reason... then *poof*, he was gone.

Ok, so here is the latest from Sanparks. It was explained differently a few days ago but if this is the date, then so be it. It is usually better to wait for confirmation like this.

UPDATE ON SILVERMINE WEST – TABLE MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK

Since the fire in March 2015 most of the central section (Silvermine & Tokai) was closed off to visitors for all activities in order for the section rangers team to get to work on post fire rehabilitation projects.

This included footpath work, rebuilding of fire damaged structures, closure of illegal paths, law enforcement and monitoring of the affected areas. SANParks have been working tirelessly to get the areas affected by the March 2015 fires opened again for our visitors to enjoy as they always have done.

On the 14 September, TMNP successfully reopened Silvermine East, while work at Silvermine West continued. The damage in this section included the re-building of all the boardwalks and walkways around the Silvermine Dam, down the ever popular River Walk as well as the viewing deck at Blackburn Ravine.

Although teams are hard at work, they still manage to record various interesting sightings of fauna and flora in the area. With many tasks still to be done, the Park plans to have Silvermine West reopened by the end of December 2015.

SANParks wishes to thank you for your ongoing support and will continue to provide updates to stakeholders and to the general public on progress as new information becomes available.

12360359_979775935429624_50804005908221612360190_979775962096288_444413685398611

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a post from table mountain bikers on Facebook that silvermine west is officially open to all users as from today. Can anyone confirm this?

• 3 months later...

I thought they will open the Tokai Forest at the end of March, but....

There was a proposal to open up a portion of it, to allow easier access via jeep track to the Nordhoek loop. This was, AFAIK, blocked by residents and horse riders. The forest itself was not going to open up in March. 

There was a proposal to open up a portion of it, to allow easier access via jeep track to the Nordhoek loop. This was, AFAIK, blocked by residents and horse riders. The forest itself was not going to open up in March. 

Good pts! I still don't understand why can't they open level 5 to Mast from Silvermine.. There is no trees above this??? They expect us to take risks to ride up busy road (Ou Kaapse Weg) from Tokai to Silvermine.... 

Good pts! I still don't understand why can't they open level 5 to Mast from Silvermine.. There is no trees above this??? They expect us to take risks to ride up busy road (Ou Kaapse Weg) from Tokai to Silvermine.... 

We're still at the mercy of the loggers. As long as they say no to entry in that area, then we can't go there. Even if it's just one tree that still stands in that compartment they can legitimately say there is a safety issue due to the equipment and logging. 

I know, I know...