FTP - whats yours?

Jay_B

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AFAIK the definition of FTP is not what you can hold for an hour, it's supposed to represent some physiological threshold, and how long you can ride at FTP differs from person to person (40-60mins?).

20m-5% is close enough. You aren't gonna test every week anyway, so it doesn't have to be exact!

I prefer CP/W'Bal (which has it's own issues) that I calculate off shorter intervals to exhaustion.

Functional Threshold Power, or FTP, is one of the key training terms in cycling and is effectively the maximum power you can sustain for an hour. As a result, FTP is seen as a crucial figure in determining your all-round ability on the bike, and is a number top riders swear by.

Here we go in picture format  :whistling:

attachicon.gifIMG_3543.JPG

A nice workout to do for FTP is over unders - take for example a 10 minute interval block and break it up so that you do 1min @95% FTP and then 1min @ 105% FTP keep going up and down like that till you done 10 min total, rinse and repeat  :devil:

I See Jacques Jansen van Rensburg from DiData tweeted his Over Under program this week.

5 Min 350 Watt 5 Min 290 Watt times three,  ten minutes rest and go again.

After 5 minutes of 350 Watts I will definitely not go again , that is for sure.

However will try to do this once a week at a bit lower wattage from now on.

Functional Threshold Power, or FTP, is one of the key training terms in cycling and is effectively the maximum power you can sustain for an hour. As a result, FTP is seen as a crucial figure in determining your all-round ability on the bike, and is a number top riders swear by.

As per Andrew Coggan:

post-6552-0-25284200-1452672901_thumb.png

Link

I See Jacques Jansen van Rensburg from DiData tweeted his Over Under program this week.

If it was me I would do same (or higher watts depending on weight) but bring the 5min down to less. 

If it was me I would do same (or higher watts depending on weight) but bring the 5min down to less. 

Agreed, 5 min @ 350W for me would be very high intensity... only just started last night venturing into some threshold intervals again after good few weeks at zone 2 and 3.

numbers are slowly getting better...

as of this morning

222w

2.41w/kg

Coming climbing on Saturday? I see Gray is testing our climbing legs as a buildup for CTCT.

My current plan also has over unders at ... they are fun YAY...

For me its a 9min block (3mins at 350W/3mins at 295W/3mins at 350W) recover for 5mins then repeat. 3 times at minimum :(

Edited by Patchelicious

My current plan also has over unders at ... they are fun YAY...

For me its a 9min block (3mins at 350W/3mins at 295W/3mins at 350W) recover for 5mins then repeat. 3 times at minimum :(

PAIN CAVE DELUXE  :devil:  :thumbup:

Why 350w and 295w?

Surely the over and under figures should be based on a percentage of your personal FTP?

I mean JVR using 350/295 does not mean joeaverage should try/ do that as well?

Thats just coincidence.

It is based on my personal tested FTP.

First and last portion of set is done at Core Strength Zone, which for me is between 340W-374W and middle section is done at Core Endurance Zone which for me is 265W - 330W.

So I try and do them in the middle of those zones, hence those numbers.

It has nothing to do with JVR's numbers....

Edited by Patchelicious

Thats just coincidence.

It is based on my personal tested FTP.

First and last portion of set is done at Core Strength Zone, which for me is between 340W-374W and middle section is done at Core Endurance Zone which for me is 265W - 330W.

So I try and do them in the middle of those zones, hence those numbers.

It has nothing to do with JVR's numbers....

Is that Zone 4 and Zone 3...?

Is that Zone 4 and Zone 3...?

There are so many "zone" methodologies, its hard to just say.

If you use the most common being, Coggan....

Then its more like Z5/Z4/Z5, but no exactly though :)

Edited by Patchelicious

Agreed, 5 min @ 350W for me would be very high intensity... only just started last night venturing into some threshold intervals again after good few weeks at zone 2 and 3.

There are so many "zone" methodologies, its hard to just say.

If you use the most common being, Coggan....

Then its more like Z5/Z4/Z5, but no exactly though :)

If you have a power number steer clear of zones which are really only useful for heart rate based training.  This morning I completed a HiiT session and felt completely shot but my heart never got going. If I was using zones I would have been slacking but I did my intervals at PPO for 60% of TMax so it was a good workout.

We don't know what the pros base their training on, JVR would be silly to disclose his FTP or Max and remain competitive in the pro peloton so publishing a "350/290 for 5 mins repeat" type workout is more wow than helpful to us as hacks.

Rather than guessing what power you should do for over/under training, I'd suggest rather do HiiT training - here is a very good article I found years ago on the subject: http://www.bicycling.com/training/fitness/ultimate-interval

Do this for a few months and it's guaranteed you'll either become religious or improve your FTP. Or both if done right.

You'll need a power meter to do it, heart rate won't help.

If you have a power number steer clear of zones which are really only useful for heart rate based training. This morning I completed a HiiT session and felt completely shot but my heart never got going. If I was using zones I would have been slacking but I did my intervals at PPO for 60% of TMax so it was a good workout.

We don't know what the pros base their training on, JVR would be silly to disclose his FTP or Max and remain competitive in the pro peloton so publishing a "350/290 for 5 mins repeat" type workout is more wow than helpful to us as hacks.

Rather than guessing what power you should do for over/under training, I'd suggest rather do HiiT training - here is a very good article I found years ago on the subject: http://www.bicycling.com/training/fitness/ultimate-interval

Do this for a few months and it's guaranteed you'll either become religious or improve your FTP. Or both if done right.

You'll need a power meter to do it, heart rate won't help.

I really couldn't give a toss about a pros numbers, nor only doing over unders or "zones"....

Over unders are one component of a variety of intervals that get done depending on which block one is training. I also most certainly do not guess what numbers are needed, these are specifically prescribed and assessed on a regular basis and are tied into HRs and fatigue levels etc...

I am not sure anybody was going to use his numbers as a "hack" it and over unders an interval set was just being discussed as topic of interest.

Edited by Patchelicious