Small oopsie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you looked good at athletics day ! only a little sling and big smiles!

and you sure now how to become the talk of the town - everyone was talking about the "oke who missed the jump and an ambulance took him away"

just glad to see you are ok. But sorry about not being able to get on a bike again - that sucks !

haha

If only i'd missed the jump. I got the jump just right... I did however miss the landing somewhat

I can prolly ride around the estate with the kids but cant take chances doing technical stuff again. If i come short its all over

Ouch! You sure did that arm properly! Heal up soon, and remember that physio is the key to long term success. Do it, no matter how unpleasant it is. Also, remember that there are lots of cycling you can still do, short of only riding an indoor trainer. Don't give up on the bike entirely.

Hi Fand

Yes, i also came to hear of your "incident"...

Hope you heal up completely and soon!  I've seen some real miracle recoveries - just ask Clayton, one of our members who was involved in a horrific car crash...and was told he'll never walk again etc.etc.

well....you'll be glad to know he did the Argus this year...A true story of grit & determination and beating the odds...so it can be done!! NEVER GIVE UP - believe in yourself and recovery! The mind and body is incredidble...

Now, for the admin stuff:

I'm a commitee member of the club - we've build this track as a community "give back..." bla bla bla and all the feelgood aspects etc, so, its open to Joe Public...and is well used... along with indemnity / signs etc.

We've used the IMBA principles and marked it accordingly...

Now despite all of that - that piece of track has seen many, many fractures (mostly shoulders)...and I'm not talking newbies only...I regard your skills as above average...some compitent riders have "run out of skill" a couple of times as well...

My question: How do we safeguard this?  Do we "dumb" down everything more? Should we remove the jumps & drop-off and berms? and just leave a flat piece of track?

I'd really like to get an fair opinion from Hubland...

PS: this track is fairly similar to the PWC track up in Gauteng (for the up country Hubbers info...)

fire AWAY...

PS:  GOOGLE or search on FB  Southey Vines / Geelsoot community trail  if you want to see more...

Hi Fand

Yes, i also came to hear of your "incident"...

Hope you heal up completely and soon!  I've seen some real miracle recoveries - just ask Clayton, one of our members who was involved in a horrific car crash...and was told he'll never walk again etc.etc.

well....you'll be glad to know he did the Argus this year...A true story of grit & determination and beating the odds...so it can be done!! NEVER GIVE UP - believe in yourself and recovery! The mind and body is incredidble...

Now, for the admin stuff:

I'm a commitee member of the club - we've build this track as a community "give back..." bla bla bla and all the feelgood aspects etc, so, its open to Joe Public...and is well used... along with indemnity / signs etc.

We've used the IMBA principles and marked it accordingly...

Now despite all of that - that piece of track has seen many, many fractures (mostly shoulders)...and I'm not talking newbies only...I regard your skills as above average...some compitent riders have "run out of skill" a couple of times as well...

My question: How do we safeguard this?  Do we "dumb" down everything more? Should we remove the jumps & drop-off and berms? and just leave a flat piece of track?

I'd really like to get an fair opinion from Hubland...

PS: this track is fairly similar to the PWC track up in Gauteng (for the up country Hubbers info...)

fire AWAY...

PS:  GOOGLE or search on FB  Southey Vines / Geelsoot community trail  if you want to see more...

Ja been following the clayton story for a while. was really happy to see him ride this year

wrt to the track - 

please dont dumb it down - the track is perfect. Im not blaming anyone except myself for my accident

I've been there a hundred times and normally get huge air over that big jump. I somehow just landed wrong

If you start dumbing down, where do you draw the line?

should we say that all bikes should be pushed and not ridden, in case someone falls?

it gets ridiculous.

ride at your own peril - no-one is forcing you to go big on the technical stuff

So sunday 1 march is a beautiful day. I decide to take my 4 kids down to southeys vines bmx track.

Kids are loving it. Ive had flu the week but decide to ride with them. Im a little out of sorts, but whatever, ive ridden here a hundred times before.

1st warning comes when i misjudged one of the jumps and eat dirt. nothing serious. sore left shoulder and winded, but i walk it off.

10 mins later i get it quite wrong on the biggest jump. im lying on the ground and my right arm is pointing the wrong way.

my son was riding just behind me so ask him to go call my wife. She gets there and I start realizing its not a sprain.

Paramedics get there 10mins later and inform me my humerus is sticking out above my elbow.

I tell them theyre not moving me until im out.

Unfortunately I dont respond to morphine. it took 2 shots of morphine to realize this. im still wide awake and now feeling sick. they gave me 2 more shots of "go to sleep" stuff befoe i finally blacked out.

woke up just before theatre by orthopaedic surgeon who introduced himself then got knocked out again.

woke up after 5hrs of reconstructive surgery to quite a mess. 5 days in hospital and im left with 2 plates and 23 pins.

summary : broken clavicle, dislocated collar bone, snapped humerus, shattered elbow, snapped ulna, fractured wrist, fractured thumb

In all likelihood i can never race again. if i crash again my arm is less than useless

now for months of physio

Fark!!!! That looks eina. Good luck with the recovery.

Everyone has said it already, but here goes...........lotto buckets of healing vibes to you. Please.follow the advice and recommendations of the medical experts and listen to your body. Ditto on V12......keep Hubville updated on your progress.

................snip snip.............

I'd really like to get an fair opinion from Hubland

..................snip snip...........

Kudos for sticking your neck our that far. :thumbup:  :clap:

Archived