How old do you have to be before you can start playing the age card?

Hackster

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look its simple, if you have to ask this type of question then its already to late.

The downhill starts at 30 (sorry all ye 29 year olds), baaad luck for the 39'ers and 41 yr olds

The good news is you can control how steep the downhill is and even use the momentum to your advantage.

Time for my afternoon nap 

using your example, as long as you say that you came say 163rd in your age group, and not dropping "I came 163rd in the race this weekend" without any context.

I knew a girl that did well in her age group with triathlons, say 3rd, but maybe 20th place overall for the ladies.  She used to tell everyone left right and centre that she came third!  That used to annoy me, irrespective of her age...

Hackster

How old are you?

I'd be surprized if you're, say 42 or older.

The older one gets, the tougher it gets to deliver those sweet results than 5-10 years ago.

47 this year.

I'm one of those guys that peaked late. Never did any sport of consequence. Always rode, and when the bug bit again five years back, cycling suddenly became a compelling part of my life.

So far, the results are still improving but there are signs that my progress is slowing...

It's not a cop out or 'playing a card' (horrid cliché), its a reasonable way to measure things, though not the only way.

Racing groups are done by age if you are not 'elite', so there you go.

At 66 I do it all the time when the youngsters of 50 drop me ....

....or when they berate me for not rolling through - I just tell them when you turn 60 come and join me on the back!

47 this year.

I'm one of those guys that peaked late. Never did any sport of consequence. Always rode, and when the bug bit again five years back, cycling suddenly became a compelling part of my life.

So far, the results are still improving but there are signs that my progress is slowing...

Yeah, man

Time and aging definitely erodes performance

And there's hopefully lots of intelligence and experience on your side.

However, if I say "I'm old and thus slow", I'm probably right.

However, if I say "I'm older than last year but can train and race more smartly than ever...", I'm probably right.

I've recently realised that some of my riding mates tend to play the age card when quoting race results.

They say they came 163rd in their age group rather, whereas I'll say that I came 513th overall.

I think it's a cop-out.

But how old do you need to be, before you can hide behind your date of birth?

On a similar topic, I've always wondered what Argus results would look like, tracked by best time by age. Fastest 18-year old, fastest 19-year old etc. It'd be interesting to see at how performance declines through the various age bands.

I've seen some very senior gentlemen towards the front of the Argus seeded groups. Grey ghosts, I believe they're called.

Why are you concerned with how other measure themselves? I must admit that I only look at results when I need to know my seeding in a multi stage event. If you are 500th out of 700, but 150 behind you is not bothered with their result, are you 500th out of 550 or 700?

Why are you concerned with how other measure themselves? I must admit that I only look at results when I need to know my seeding in a multi stage event. If you are 500th out of 700, but 150 behind you is not bothered with their result, are you 500th out of 550 or 700?

Nope. Don't agree. Its nice to measure yourself against the field. Same goes for if 150 faster than you don't bother then you have made up 150 places?

When older guys beet me I like to point out that I have only been cycling for a year and because they are older they have had more time to prepare than I did.[emoji48]

When older guys beet me I like to point out that I have only been cycling for a year and because they are older they have had more time to prepare than I did.[emoji48]

I normally make some funny noise followed by "maar nee! Toe proe die brannas mos lekker"

Doesn't it stain?

Archived