2015 Coronation Double Century

Chris NewbyFraser

Ariane Kleinhans could possibly ride a 5:15 if she chills at the back? She's insanely strong  ^_^

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ariane Kleinhans could possibly ride a 5:15 if she chills at the back? She's insanely strong  ^_^

Yip...she and Ashleigh

• 4 weeks later...

They started with this:

Coronation Double Century fans, we will be making an entries announcement on Wednesday. Watch our social media channels for the latest news!

And then the actual announcement was:

We’re in negotiations about the roadworks in Cogmanskloof and will update you on 15 July regarding #CorondationDC entries.

Looking forward to this. Doing it in an all-mountain bike team with full knobblies. going to be fun.

My training partner and me looking for a team for the DC. Finishing time

around 5:30 - 5:45. Both from Sea Point area. Anyone know of a team with space please let me know.

Looking forward to this. Doing it in an all-mountain bike team with full knobblies. going to be fun.

Why do you guys do it on MTB with full knobblies?

So that you can say afterwards, "we beat a few roadies on our MTB and knobblies!!" ?

Why do you guys do it on MTB with full knobblies?

So that you can say afterwards, "we beat a few roadies on our MTB and knobblies!!" ?

eish!

eish!

Was a real question, the teams who I spoke to who did this before all said that.

My old mans team was one them; "How did your race go on the MTB dad", "lekker, we did a 8h30 but we klapped a few roadies!!"

So I am not fighting, I am asking, whats the point? If the point is to do it with a handicap, then so be it, but then dont be that guy who points out the self inflicted handicap and every opportunity. If the point is to beat a few roadies who come in at 10hours, then well done...

"I did a 3h26 94.7 with my Dual sus, knobbly, single speed, alu frame, baggies...." no you just plain and simply did a 3h26.

Post not directly directed at Aaron_B, but just a general rant.

• 2 weeks later...

So, bookmarked the page, put time in my diary and booked a meeting room for 12:45 till 13:06

:D

Really amped, after getting blown around this morning, really looking forward to this year!

Hi Gents,

I'm looking for a 6/6:30 team :ph34r: ..., first time doing DC so will need some guidance as well.

Tnx :thumbup:

Hi Gents

Im also looking for a DC team, 6-6h30 finish.Done it twice with a social team.

Pls pm me on any offers.

Was a real question, the teams who I spoke to who did this before all said that.

My old mans team was one them; "How did your race go on the MTB dad", "lekker, we did a 8h30 but we klapped a few roadies!!"

Well then maybe you should ask your old man that question  :ph34r:

But yes, I agree - one of my pet annoyances...

Although some of the people I train with (occasionally) only ride mtb, most of them probably don't even own a proper roadbike - but they train some hardcore long distances and a event like the DC appeal to them, they always aim to be the first mtb team. (And yes, afterwards they will tell you how many roadie asses they kicked)

Although some of the people I train with (occasionally) only ride mtb, most of them probably don't even own a proper roadbike - but they train some hardcore long distances and a event like the DC appeal to them, they always aim to be the first mtb team. (And yes, afterwards they will tell you how many roadie asses they kicked)

I understand the whole thing of only having one bike.

but with the price of mtb tyres, doing that much on tar with knobblies is just crazy - get slicks if you really must.

It's not even unique anymore. 

Oh I have trust me, I give him a hard time about it. He has now built himself a 7.5kg rigid fork Scott Scale for these things, (rode from Venice to Stutgart on it) has S-Works Fast Tracks tyres, so he still firmly believes (calls) its a MTB bike as it has knobblies ;)

The "reasons" are many, non of which make much sense once you probe them.

1: We do it for the fun - Then I ask well why make a fuss about "klapping a few roadies" then.

2: Its more comfortable. He has a Roubaix with 28c tyres....

3: Its a challenge. Well why not ride it just that bit faster on road bike then.

The real reason I think is that if you start a race a with a handicap, you cannot be judged for not doing "well". But you can make chirps if you do ok.

We are both very data driven people so this always leads to the invariable "what percentage is a road bike faster than a MTB on tar"... Strava segments get pulled up to compare..... becomes interesting :) and fun, THATS the point! Us bickering about it, is part of the fun ;)

Archived