Emmarentia vs cyclists (again)

wonduhboy

Don't worry - there are plenty of active cyclist that live in the are that will fight any ban - including me - even the local ward councellor is agains any such ban.

time will tell I suppose....safety imo overides any cyclist's right to ride through there...With speed being hard to police I think they might go the option of outright ban(I really hope not, very lekker spinning trough the park before hittin vida). Hopefully people will read this thread and see that we have a big responsibility when riding through it. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PS to all

The by-law for all joberg park state NO vehicle can go faster than 5km/h. So there you have it

"drive, draw or propel a vehicle in excess of five kilometres per hour" which speaks to this general prohibition

"may not act in a manner which is dangerous to life or property"

Ever seen the speed that those security vehicles go at that go and collect the guards at knock-off time.  

time will tell I suppose....safety imo overides any cyclist's right to ride through there...With speed being hard to police I think they might go the option of outright ban(I really hope not, very lekker spinning trough the park before hittin vida). Hopefully people will read this thread and see that we have a big responsibility when riding through it. 

The dog walkers hve a bigger isssue to deal with than cyclists at the moment - there is an existing plan to turf them out of most of the park completely. Cyclists on the other hand are a relatively low level problem - this may of course change if a pedestrian gets hit by one.

There is also an existing plan to build a bike route along the spruit that has council backing - but the details I don't know.

Botantical gardens...we are not allowed(yet we still ride there), emma dam we cool. However the bulk of the "dick hotspots" are in the botantical gardens. WE HAVE NO RIGHTS THERE and people are buggering it up for all.

I am not sure you are 100% rigth that bikes have no rights - they are allowed in the park - there is a big sign on the gate that says so.

I am not sure you are 100% rigth that bikes have no rights - they are allowed in the park - there is a big sign on the gate that says so.

There is however a big difference between this guy ... 

post-24958-0-62191600-1429518135_thumb.jpg

And this guy....

post-24958-0-52639000-1429518162_thumb.jpg

Park as I have it has two parts, the dam section and botanical gardens section. As per edgars earlier post, we are cool around the dam part, its the botanical gardens section that is off limits to us. Even if we are allowed in the botanical part, the 5km/h rule applies...I just dont see it working out to be honest...over and above the other rule saying no one should be a nuisance...go and ask any of the walkers, runners, picnicers and pet owners who they have a problem with...yes you guessed right, its us. They don't mind each other, there are no signs of complaints of dogs being off leashes and picnicers suiping too much....We have the bad rep and are considered the nuisance. 

Park as I have it has two parts, the dam section and botanical gardens section. As per edgars earlier post, we are cool around the dam part, its the botanical gardens section that is off limits to us. Even if we are allowed in the botanical part, the 5km/h rule applies...I just dont see it working out to be honest...over and above the other rule saying no one should be a nuisance...go and ask any of the walkers, runners, picnicers and pet owners who they have a problem with...yes you guessed right, its us. They don't mind each other, there are no signs of complaints of dogs being off leashes and picnicers suiping too much....We have the bad rep and are considered the nuisance. 

You have not been to any of the community involvement meetings have you?

EVERYBODY bitches about everybody else... but the biggest issue is the plan to remove the dog walkers from most of the park - and they plan to build infrastructure (a huge fence) to achieve just that.

I suspect that the best solution would be to build enough directionally marked singletrack infrastructure around the periphery of the park to keep the cyclists off the concrete/paved paths - which is where the majority of the incidents with runners/walkers/strollers are - cyclists being too lazy to ride on grass.... this will also serve (if enough bends are put in place) to drop the average speed of the riders enough for it to be more predictable for the walkers - the downside is the instant you build it - there will be trail runners using it - like the top section (top roots) which is becoming more and more frequented by trail runners (whom I have no issue with in general unless they are running with earphones in - then they are unaware of their surroundings and create a moving hazard) and they need to be accomodated in some way (see dropping average speed via trail design)

You have not been to any of the community involvement meetings have you?

EVERYBODY bitches about everybody else... but the biggest issue is the plan to remove the dog walkers from most of the park - and they plan to build infrastructure (a huge fence) to achieve just that.

I suspect that the best solution would be to build enough directionally marked singletrack infrastructure around the periphery of the park to keep the cyclists off the concrete/paved paths - which is where the majority of the incidents with runners/walkers/strollers are - cyclists being too lazy to ride on grass.... this will also serve (if enough bends are put in place) to drop the average speed of the riders enough for it to be more predictable for the walkers - the downside is the instant you build it - there will be trail runners using it - like the top section (top roots) which is becoming more and more frequented by trail runners (whom I have no issue with in general unless they are running with earphones in - then they are unaware of their surroundings and create a moving hazard) and they need to be accomodated in some way (see dropping average speed via trail design)

With all due respect...I find that very hard to believe. Ride the spruit once a week and have been for the last couple of years, have only ever seen confrontations between:

Parents and cyclists

Walkers / joggers and cyclists

Dog owners and cyclists

Cyclists and cyclists

See the pattern....also I have only seen the issues in the outer singletrack sections not on the pathways as you describe. Again, we have the bad reputation...hence the signage someone put up...was this a fluke, I don't think so. Cycling in its nature is best enjoyed when travelling at speed, yes? Well therein lies our problem, runners / walkers / picnic'ers / pet owners wont hurt or kill if they are being dicks...cyclists will.

I really need to make a plan to go ride the spruit before you bunch spoil it for the rest of us.

If only I had a DH rig

I dont know how to tell you this....you just don't have the balls  :whistling:

I agree with the sign. We have used Emmarentia for years, both to walk our dogs and to ride our bikes. When I walk my dogs there, I feel embarrassed by the behavior of the cyclists.

the sentiment of the sign..yes...the condescending nature of it...no