Oakley replacement lenses HELP

Bianchi Baby

I paid customs VAT and a handling fee for my lenses.

Took 8 weeks by USPS/SAPO but evetually got it. The courier cost for added convenience is something I'd gladly pay.

From Oakley US i presume?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.revantoptics.com/

Be sure to select the correct lenses for your frame. If in doubt, use the model number on the frames to find out the correct lens name. I thought I had Half Jacket 2.0, but it turned out to be Half Jacket XLJ (there is a small difference that does matter).

Edited by geraldm24

I paid customs VAT and a handling fee for my lenses.

Took 8 weeks by USPS/SAPO but evetually got it. The courier cost for added convenience is something I'd gladly pay.

You've got me confused now. You initially said duty was 0 but later t you said you paid "paid customs VAT and a handling fee". Isn't customs the same as duty. Even if  not, it is what I meant when I asked the question. So can you remember how much it was?

Cheers.

You've got me confused now. You initially said duty was 0 but later t you said you paid "paid customs VAT and a handling fee". Isn't customs the same as duty. Even if not, it is what I meant when I asked the question. So can you remember how much it was?

Cheers.

Duty and VAT are not the same thing.

Duty on lenses is 0%

VAT is payable on the value of the goods upon entry into the country. Usually your invoice value (in ZAR) * 1.10 * 14%

The SAPO charges a handling fee, which is another amount. I don't have the previous invoice but it's about R50 if I recall.

So, take your invoiced value * ex.rate * 1.1 * 0.14 and you'll get close to the VAT portion. Add another R50 for handling and then add your invoice value + shipping (if it wasn't included). That will be your estimated landed cost.

Duty and VAT are not the same thing.

Duty on lenses is 0%

VAT is payable on the value of the goods upon entry into the country. Usually your invoice value (in ZAR) * 1.10 * 14%

The SAPO charges a handling fee, which is another amount. I don't have the previous invoice but it's about R50 if I recall.

So, take your invoiced value * ex.rate * 1.1 * 0.14 and you'll get close to the VAT portion. Add another R50 for handling and then add your invoice value + shipping (if it wasn't included). That will be your estimated landed cost.

Thanks. I must have misread or misunderstood you. When you said "custom VAT", I thought you meant they were 2 separate charges. Thanks for the calculation and explanation. Of course there is another question:

Why the multiplication by 1.1?

Cheers.

Thanks. I must have misread or misunderstood you. When you said "custom VAT", I thought you meant they were 2 separate charges. Thanks for the calculation and explanation. Of course there is another question:

Why the multiplication by 1.1?

Cheers.

From the SARS webdite:

How is VAT calculated on imported goods?

The VAT rate in South Africa is currently 14%

To calculate VAT on imported goods, the ATV (added tax value) needs to be determined first.

This is done as follows:

[(Customs Value + 10% thereof) + (any non-rebated duties levied on the goods)] x 14%

= [ATV] x 14%

= VAT payable

The 10% mark-up on the customs value in this calculation is applicable when goods are imported from a country outside the Customs Union. Therefore, if goods have their origin in any of the BLNS countries (Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia or Swaziland), the 10% will not be added to the calculation.

When goods are exported to any of the BLNS countries, the same applies (no mark-up on the customs value to determine ATV).

From the SARS webdite:

How is VAT calculated on imported goods?

The VAT rate in South Africa is currently 14%

To calculate VAT on imported goods, the ATV (added tax value) needs to be determined first.

This is done as follows:

[(Customs Value + 10% thereof) + (any non-rebated duties levied on the goods)] x 14%

= [ATV] x 14%

= VAT payable

The 10% mark-up on the customs value in this calculation is applicable when goods are imported from a country outside the Customs Union. Therefore, if goods have their origin in any of the BLNS countries (Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia or Swaziland), the 10% will not be added to the calculation.

When goods are exported to any of the BLNS countries, the same applies (no mark-up on the customs value to determine ATV).

Brilliant answer and thank you. It's not what I wanted to hear (indicating that the exercise may be too costly) but perhaps others in CT will want to order in bulk and share the costs. I'll have to think about that.

Thanks again

I have just ordered 3 sets of polarized lenses and a set or ear socks from Revant optics, the whole order came to $209, based on my calculations the vat etc will come to R450 odd, that's less any FedEx fees as i dont have these as yet, should have them by Friday so will give feedback then.

it works out to roughly 1k for a set of lenses.

depending on how much you love your Oakley's it may be worth it, i have 9 pairs of Oakley's that i have collected over the years, i love Oakley so for me its worth the money to get them good as new again.

for me i went this route as a replacement set of Oakley lenses for my Jawbones which i use for cycling was quoted at more than 3k. i have only heard good reviews regarding the quality form Revant so i figured i would take the chance, also they stock for glasses that Oakley no longer make which is a bonus.

Edited by Cruz addict

grand a pair is steep, might as well buy new Oakleys, does anyone have the contact details of the Oakley suppliers here in Cape Town????

grand a pair is steep, might as well buy new Oakleys, does anyone have the contact details of the Oakley suppliers here in Cape Town????

They sent me this:

Hi Janno

Thank you for your query.

Please contact our customer services department on 0861 486 100 ext 2 and they will be able to assist you with a replacement frame

Many thanks

I have just ordered 3 sets of polarized lenses and a set or ear socks from Revant optics, the whole order came to $209, based on my calculations the vat etc will come to R450 odd, that's less any FedEx fees as i dont have these as yet, should have them by Friday so will give feedback then.

it works out to roughly 1k for a set of lenses.

depending on how much you love your Oakley's it may be worth it, i have 9 pairs of Oakley's that i have collected over the years, i love Oakley so for me its worth the money to get them good as new again.

for me i went this route as a replacement set of Oakley lenses for my Jawbones which i use for cycling was quoted at more than 3k. i have only heard good reviews regarding the quality form Revant so i figured i would take the chance, also they stock for glasses that Oakley no longer make which is a bonus.

I have 3 lenses in my trolley and they are quoting me $55 shipping fee. That is the ouch part. 

I have 3 lenses in my trolley and they are quoting me $55 shipping fee. That is the ouch part. 

I paid $8.99 for my shipping - the $55 is by FedEx.

post-1372-0-52871000-1446029288_thumb.png

If you use the USPS method ($8.99) then you can't track the order once it leaves the USA. I ordered on August 7 and received my lenses on 25-Sep (felt like it was a lifetime, but I eventually got them). Next time I'll go the FedEx route or do a group-buy.