1x11 - 34T vs 32T

Aaron_B

So I've just upgraded to 1x11 from 1x10 (11-42) with 32T. Was very happy with the 1x10. Climbs were great but lacked the top speed on the flats.

The 1x11 is amazing. Ratios smoother, shifting more precise and crisper. Decided to put a 34T up front for extra top speed but now the granny (if you can call it that) is pretty tough - obviously. I'm handling it at the moment conquering some steep, tough climbs but want to know what your experiences are and what I might expect on longer rides/races.

Should I go back to 32?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it'll be about 6% easier than the 34t. 5.882% easier, actually, so not that much difference, but it'll *almost* be the same as putting a 45t on the back. 

New XT? Or did you go SRAM, in which case it's 10-42...

Sram XX1 love it. I think I'll give the 34T a chance. Big test will be Trailseeker marathon in Grabouw. Until then, I'll keep trying all the monster climbs in Durbanville Hills and see how I cope.

32 and loving it. Personally its better for me when I really need it...not too fussed about losing a bit on flats/gradual declines........

Give it a chance !

If you do stuff longer than 3 days you may want to change back to 32.

I still have 1 x 10 with 32 on front and 11-42 at the back and find that i only spin out on top end at about 45/46km/h. Not sure i ever ride that fast for longer than a few hundred meters (at best) in any MTB race.

Glad you are happy with your 1 x 11 set up though.

I run a 36t on the 42 and it is only super sh!t over abt 17%.. youve got 2 choices, toughen up or get off and push!!!

Guest notmyname

Give it a chance !

If you do stuff longer than 3 days you may want to change back to 32.

I still have 1 x 10 with 32 on front and 11-42 at the back and find that i only spin out on top end at about 45/46km/h. Not sure i ever ride that fast for longer than a few hundred meters (at best) in any MTB race.

Glad you are happy with your 1 x 11 set up though.

The first delivery for my conversion arrived about 20 minutes ago and I was having a dash of buyers remorse. I also went 32t and the spinning out issue has plagued me until I read this. Shot man. Now I'm just waiting on CWC and Kalbo.

Edit: gawd damn typos

Edited by Small Fry

So I've just upgraded to 1x11 from 1x10 (11-42) with 32T. Was very happy with the 1x10. Climbs were great but lacked the top speed on the flats.

The 1x11 is amazing. Ratios smoother, shifting more precise and crisper. Decided to put a 34T up front for extra top speed but now the granny (if you can call it that) is pretty tough - obviously. I'm handling it at the moment conquering some steep, tough climbs but want to know what your experiences are and what I might expect on longer rides/races.

Should I go back to 32?

I saw an article on bikerumour or some such the other day on a 42 - 9 SRAM compatible 11 speed cassette - should help with top speed...

The discussion about gear ratios is pointless unless you also mention what wheel size you are using.

Basically, 29er is 11.5% harder than 26" and about 6% harder than 27.5 so all else being equal (cluster, tyre profile etc) a 29er with 32 chainring will have practically the same ratios as a 27.5 with 34 chainring.

A lot also depends if you like to mash your pedals or spin. I'm a masher. On a 29er with 11-42 10spd and 34 up front I find that I easily spin out on faster sections, especially the forestry roads linking sections of single track. Climbs are manageable but towards the end of a race when my legs are tired I am sometimes wanting more granny.

At current fitness levels I reckon I would do better times on my old 2x10 with 26-38 front and 11-36 rear. It gives 11% more range at both ends than my 1x10 setup but I would gain 400g on the bike and lose the left hand dropper remote mounting that works so well. 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

1x10 is teaching me to spin more and making legs stronger on the climbs. If you have just converted, be prepared to stick with it until your legs adjust - your 1st ride after converting does not give the whole story.

Sram XX1 love it. I think I'll give the 34T a chance. Big test will be Trailseeker marathon in Grabouw. Until then, I'll keep trying all the monster climbs in Durbanville Hills and see how I cope.

On my 1X10 setup I rode a 36T up front with the standard 11-36 cassette. I could ride all my local trails with that gearing. Also did TransBaviaans with that and rode every climb without a problem. I have to add that I was riding the TB, and not racing it. 

When I went 1X11 I thought i'de go with a 34T up front, which I did. After doing a few of the local mtb races this year i've come to the following conclusion...

People always worry about "spinning out" at the top end. I reality, during all of the races i've done so far, that has hardly happened, ever. You will wish you had a 32T up front waaaay more often than you actually get to use the 10 at the rear. 

With a 34T up front the amount of times I end up using the 10 cog at the back is minimal. I think with a 32T you will end up using all of your cassette, more often. 

Just to add, some of the races I have done include marathon races, stage races, shorter XC races (W2W, Gravel&Grape, 100Miler, TrailSeeker, Darling Brew Extreme). 

People tend to stare into the fact that they might spin out on the downhills with lighter gearing, when in fact, that hardly ever happens. Also consider how often you klap 40km/h+ on your mtb, on flat roads, if ever. And if you did, a 32T will be more than sufficient for that. 

P.S. Leave the 36T for the Koolharvy wannabees. They will obviously tell you to HTFU. When you get to the finish line before them because you didn't have to push your bike up that monster climb, you will be smiling.  :clap:

The discussion about gear ratios is pointless unless you also mention what wheel size you are using.

Basically, 29er is 11.5% harder than 26" and about 6% harder than 27.5 so all else being equal (cluster, tyre profile etc) a 29er with 32 chainring will have practically the same ratios as a 27.5 with 34 chainring.

A lot also depends if you like to mash your pedals or spin. I'm a masher. On a 29er with 11-42 10spd and 34 up front I find that I easily spin out on faster sections, especially the forestry roads linking sections of single track. Climbs are manageable but towards the end of a race when my legs are tired I am sometimes wanting more granny.

At current fitness levels I reckon I would do better times on my old 2x10 with 26-38 front and 11-36 rear. It gives 11% more range at both ends than my 1x10 setup but I would gain 400g on the bike and lose the left hand dropper remote mounting that works so well. 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

1x10 is teaching me to spin more and making legs stronger on the climbs. If you have just converted, be prepared to stick with it until your legs adjust - your 1st ride after converting does not give the whole story.

I'm in the same boat, reckon I'm going to stick with the 1 x 10 for now. Also love my dropper set up on left.