1x11 - 34T vs 32T

Aaron_B

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Contermans Mast climb double up to the Bloemendaaler is not easy. Dorsberg is a good test when it comes to a short power climb. The Hillcrest steep climb is another one that springs to mind but it's 450m long.

Monster climbs? Which ones?

The Contermans Mast climb double up to the Bloemendaaler is not easy. Dorsberg is a good test when it comes to a short power climb. The Hillcrest steep climb is another one that springs to mind but it's 450m long.

SHORT!? Felt like that thing carries on for eeeeeeeever!

Don't be a pussy. Murder that 34t!

If I had a 42 at the back I would go 36. I am currently 34t upfront and 36 back

If I had a 42 at the back I would go 36. I am currently 34t upfront and 36 back

I am on 36 front and 11/36 back (29er) and wont lie, it gets tough on the longer climbs.

On short punchy stuff i can power up.

Anything below 10% ave. gradient is generally fine. 

Did the short monster and could climb just about everything, some places were a bit too loose for my liking.

...and on the Epic 'Fred' a 30 seems to be the sensible consensus...

Horses for courses :-)

Just a personal experience but I find that the longer climbs even if a bit steep I manage OK with my 34*36 (OK it is a 650b) but it's when I get to those short steep things like on the blues at Thaba and Rietvlei that I struggle ....

I have just fitted a 40 so we'll see :)

It's all fine and cool to have a 36t up front, until you hit that ridiculous climb 80km in... If you don't see yourself riding steep climbs so far into a race, go for it! :thumbup:

It's all fine and cool to have a 36t up front, until you hit that ridiculous climb 80km in... If you don't see yourself riding steep climbs so far into a race, go for it! :thumbup:

Agreed,

but i ride for fun now and a bit of fitness.

Dont really care for spending undulating hours on the bike at the moment.

When and if i want to start racing i will get the gearing suited to that.

Maybe slap the new 2x10 XT on.

I'm running a 34t with an 11-34 cassette. Wanted a 11-36 but the 11-34 was on sale. Also I'm on a 26er. I can ride up most stuff but occasionally I get shut down. I try not to worry. 10 speed is still a heck of a lot more the single speed. Also the point about persevering through the beginning phase is probably very true. I'm definitely adjusting. But I'm also definitely a masher rather than a spinner, I stand up and hammer often.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I've done extensive testing on the 1x11 with 34T ring. Biggest test was Nissan Trailseeker #2 in Grabouw. 75km/1800m climbing.

Coped fine, monstered the climbs and finished well. 55th/401. I'm going to keep it.

I guess my reasonably low weight of 67kg to go with the 9.8kg bike is a good combination.

• 7 years later...

Hi all.. 

Resuscitating this thread..

what's the standard ratio for a 1x12 setup on a 29" dual sus?

I have a 10/50 cassette and need to buy a chainring.

I weigh 100kg if that helps?

Most bikes come standard with a 32T chainring. The suitability depends on your riding style, strength and the terrain you ride.

If you're doing a lot of climbing, the 32 is probably suitable. 34T work well for highveld terrain in my experience

Edited by Ozzie NL

I ride 2x because despite all the marketing hype, 1.) it is more efficient (both theoretically and empirically) and 2.) I have the cognitive abilities to both understand this and also operate a front derailleur. 

However, to your question, I weigh about the same as you do and the biggest problem I have is that I can generate more force than my knees can cope with. I invariably have to run smaller chain rings to prevent overuse injuries. 

In my experience the smaller rings have made a huge difference although I've ridden compact on my road bikes for years, I have also recently gone from a  36/26 to 34/24 for JoBerg2C and I finished the 930km without any knee issues and I'll not be going back to the larger rings. 

At the point where you "need" to be in 32x50 (i.e. you're riding up a hill that is so steep you can't maintain a usable cadence in a harder gear) you're crawling along at 5.8km/h at 65rpm at which pace you might just be quicker walking anyway. 

image.png.fbbc996adababfe00f8abd2b1f096851.png

Unless you have multiple 8%+ grades you regularly ride where you want to be spinning with relative ease at 85rpm I wouldn't go for a 32 chainring. 34x10 is also enough to stick with the majority of roadie group rides in my experience (unless you're in the 35km/h+ boat, at which point if you're riding a mountain bike you should be fit enough to not need 32x50 anyway).