Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

I have a slightly different problem.

Found an item in the classifieds, contacted the seller, chatting backwards and forwards, agree on the price, shipping, etc and then I say send me the bank details and I'll pay and since then nothing but silence!  What the hell?!

AFAIK it's not been sold to anyone else?

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO few weeks ago someone advertised a very cheap camelbak and i saw it first:) Told him ill take it, made the payment immediately, and told him ill pick it up when i come to stellenbosch this week or so. few days later he tells me he doesnt have it anymore because his friend sold it. He pays back the money which is fair BUT how am i suppose to know that he didnt just sell it for more to the next guy right? So i give him a bad rating on the seller rating BUT i explain what happened. He then contacts me to say its unfair etc so i decide to make it a "neutral" rating but when i go back to his profile its not their anymore. ADMIN?

Anyway. I dont really care. just thought id rant seeing that its FRIDAY for me!WHOOOP

SO few weeks ago someone advertised a very cheap camelbak and i saw it first:) Told him ill take it, made the payment immediately, and told him ill pick it up when i come to stellenbosch this week or so. few days later he tells me he doesnt have it anymore because his friend sold it. He pays back the money which is fair BUT how am i suppose to know that he didnt just sell it for more to the next guy right? So i give him a bad rating on the seller rating BUT i explain what happened. He then contacts me to say its unfair etc so i decide to make it a "neutral" rating but when i go back to his profile its not their anymore. ADMIN?

Anyway. I dont really care. just thought id rant seeing that its FRIDAY for me!WHOOOP

that deserves a bad rating in my books...

That is grounds to tell him to FU%$ OFF!

People who change the terms of an agreement after it was made are no better than zebra urine.

So why slur zebra urine???

Bad rating. Things like that do happen but he he should have sent you a six pack or something small etc.

i know this is about classifieds BUT should an online store stick to their price if it's advertised at that price and payment has been made and invoice recieved?

I have experienced some issues that annoy me:

1) A buyer contacted me regarding an item I was selling. He agreed to purchased the item and asked for.my banking details which I gave. Never heard from him again after numerous follow up messages.

2) I enquired about two items from different sellers only to get a response saying the items were sold. I mean really, if its sold then update the ad ir remove it.

3) Enquored about products but get absolutely so response even after pms and comments on the ad. If you put something up the be decent enough to monitor your ads and answer requests.

i know this is about classifieds BUT should an online store stick to their price if it's advertised at that price and payment has been made and invoice recieved?

It depends, do they have E&OE in their terms?

I know its not worth much these days but then neither is the CPA.

If they are cool and want to keep a customer happy then they will generally honour their mistake. How much price difference are we talking about?

I have experienced some issues that annoy me:

1) A buyer contacted me regarding an item I was selling. He agreed to purchased the item and asked for.my banking details which I gave. Never heard from him again after numerous follow up messages.

2) I enquired about two items from different sellers only to get a response saying the items were sold. I mean really, if its sold then update the ad ir remove it.

3) Enquored about products but get absolutely so response even after pms and comments on the ad. If you put something up the be decent enough to monitor your ads and answer requests.

I once pulled a 1) on someone when I realised just before making the payment that I really didnt need the item and I was just wasting money on it. I got hold of them right away and explained that I was an idiot and wouldnt be taking it.

2) been moaning about that since I first joined this forum all of those years ago.

It depends, do they have E&OE in their terms?

I know its not worth much these days but then neither is the CPA.

If they are cool and want to keep a customer happy then they will generally honour their mistake. How much price difference are we talking about?

It's quite a major price difference, about 10% of actual selling price. I didn't realize it at the time as I knew nothing about the specs of the product, thought I was buying a much lower spec hence the price. I don't want to argue or anything of the sort with them but I just thought that it would be fair to meet me somewhere in the middle considering I did pay and have recieved the invoice.

I once pulled a 1) on someone when I realised just before making the payment that I really didnt need the item and I was just wasting money on it. I got hold of them right away and explained that I was an idiot and wouldnt be taking it.

2) been moaning about that since I first joined this forum all of those years ago.

I can understand uf you decide you no longer want something and at least you told the buyer. That is perfectly fine I think but this guy just not get back to me at all.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting an oldie here I know, but just been having a run of poor deals.

Committed to buying, arranged for collection (cash deal), only to hear that item has been sold to somebody else when wanting to collect. 

WTF.! :cursing:

Small vent to realease some frustration ... :thumbup:

Resurrecting an oldie here I know, but just been having a run of poor deals.

Committed to buying, arranged for collection (cash deal), only to hear that item has been sold to somebody else when wanting to collect. 

WTF.! :cursing:

Small vent to realease some frustration ... :thumbup:

I am with you.  Thought I was the only one.  Don't reply to adds or PM's.

Frustrating,  Even tried phoning.

Looking to buy a bike on the Hub so this thread was very helpful. I realize the buyer and the seller both have an equal amount of input/contribution to the ethics and successful conclusion of any transaction. As a potential buyer I need to remember that in life, you get what you give. As someone posted....die wiel draai.....

Now to find that bike... :whistling:

I have just sold a wheelset as of yesterday - so from a "selling" perspective I try to give a good price so that I don't have the constant back and forth....but this still happens from guys trying to get their bang for their buck....you get serious run around at times - I had interest from 4 legit hubbers and I play open cards...saying that there are people looking at the item and it really is 1st come 1st serve.