Ethics in classifieds!?

JTK

ALL My adds clearly state to call for priority option, I don't log in 24hrs a day to check PM's and comments... so unfortunately a PM or the proverbial dibs might go unnoticed until much later .

Direct communication(verbal) avoids complications and shows interest . Even when i hit the Dibs call i make sure to phone immediately .

Good luck to all for future dealings, and thanks to the ethical guys for making it a pleasure doing business.  :thumbup:

Had there been a number, I would have called... 

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fortunately I have only had good experiences buying from the Hub classifieds, but can't say the same about selling: buyer transfers money to my account but then "forgets" postage, or paying and promise to pick up but then asks for it to be posted and I never see the money I then have to fork out for postage again.

Don't get me wrong, being able to advertise and sell old or unused stuff is great compared to trying to do it via a shop or worse scumtree.

As a seller I've always gone out of my way to show I'm honest and trustworthy, sometimes even delivering the goods in person, but so far NOT ONCE have I received any seller rating, be it good or bad. Which makes it difficult the next time to sell as people are more and more hesitant to buy from classifieds if you don't have a good positive seller's rating. I also don't tend to say much in general, so my post count will always stay low, disqualifying me from the "Roux'tjie criteria".

If I give you a rating after a transaction, please be a decent person and do the same.

• 1 month later...

I am ticked. This is not the first time this has happened but this is 3rd time in almost as many days where I buy something and there is confirmation that I am first after which the seller sells it to the next/another person. I can only assume for a better price. This is to my mind totally unethical. Both on the seller and the new buyer's part. Am I just being upset over nothing? 

The general sales/purchases on the site has been great from my perspective but is certainly going down. I buy a fair amount yes. I buy for my greater extended family that does not have the finances most have. I look for a bargain yes. I see the potential use for the individual in need. Of late though it seems to happen more an more often where a sale is not represented as indicated. I have bought a XT wheelset in "great condition" with a shot rear hub and freewheel. Frame in good nick with shot /seized pivot bearings. Forks with shot stanchions that are "perfect". These have mostly been a met with an attitude of "wtf are you on about? You bought it. Your problem... " And of late a host of purchases that "sorry another guy took it" after I confirmed I am taking it..

I have never given anyone a bad seller rating. Taking it on the chin. I am however going to start now. And I urge all to do the same. Maybe it will resolve the general slide and decline of moral values in the classifieds. Rant over.

Question is was your money in the sellers hand or account? If not and the other persons was, then so be it. First come first served.

Fortunately I have only had good experiences buying from the Hub classifieds, but can't say the same about selling: buyer transfers money to my account but then "forgets" postage, or paying and promise to pick up but then asks for it to be posted and I never see the money I then have to fork out for postage again.

Don't get me wrong, being able to advertise and sell old or unused stuff is great compared to trying to do it via a shop or worse scumtree.

As a seller I've always gone out of my way to show I'm honest and trustworthy, sometimes even delivering the goods in person, but so far NOT ONCE have I received any seller rating, be it good or bad. Which makes it difficult the next time to sell as people are more and more hesitant to buy from classifieds if you don't have a good positive seller's rating. I also don't tend to say much in general, so my post count will always stay low, disqualifying me from the "Roux'tjie criteria".

If I give you a rating after a transaction, please be a decent person and do the same.

Common problem here on the Hub.  I rate every sale/purchase and then if there is no response, I delist the comment I made.  BTW most "no comments" have been from shops  and not individuals.

As Wyatt said, I must be a crap buyer or seller.

Just to be clear.  Say you were selling a bike for R10K.  Buyer 1 negotiates it to R8500 and promises to pay R1000 deposit to secure.  Before the R1000 has been paid, buyer 2 comes along and says he'll take it for R9500.  What now?  

To my mind, the crux is that the R1000 has not been paid over yet and so the deal has not yet been sealed.  As soon as the R1000 is paid over, that's it.  The deal is done.  My opinion but keen to see if others agree.

Wrong. You committed to buyer 1 at R8500 and need to give him at least a chance to pay the deposit. Tell him how long - 24 hours, maybe?

What about hubbers who have never seen an item, have never met you before, but will EFT the amount into your account, and never collects? We need more of these!!

I'm looking at you CM!  :ph34r: 

I've also just had an experience with a guy that said he wanted to look at my wheelset that I'm trying to sell. We met and he looked at them, he made up his mind on the spot and said he'll take them. I had to meet him later because he wanted to get cash first from the ATM, no problem.

Later came and before I could leave home he phoned me and came up with some BS about his card only being able to withdraw R2000, even when the wheels are for sale for R2000. Ok, maybe he needs bus fare or something... All good.

The next day he made up some excuse not to meet, and the next day I had to contact him to find out where/when we would meet. Then he tells me that he got another wheel, very sorry. Three days later he backs out of the deal. It's only R2k, but its the principal of the matter.

I gave hime a negative comment and he came back with a negative comment on me. So now it shows on my score, even though he backed out on the deal.

What now, is it worth making a comment after all when it reflects bad on you in the end even if it's not your wrong doing?

What about hubbers who have never seen an item, have never met you before, but will EFT the amount into your account, and never collects? We need more of these!!

I'm looking at you CM!  :ph34r: 

That is me too. I paid someone, and one thing led to another and couldn't collect and then I couldn't remember his name.

If anyone reads this and has my cash, give me a shout and we can spend it on beer next time I am in Cape Town.

Wrong. You committed to buyer 1 at R8500 and need to give him at least a chance to pay the deposit. Tell him how long - 24 hours, maybe?

Some venues i deal with give you 6hrs to pay and send proof of deposit. Most will do 12hrs but it's clearly stated what your time frame is and if you don't pay notice isn't given either. The booking is simply cancelled and removed.

I've also just had an experience with a guy that said he wanted to look at my wheelset that I'm trying to sell. We met and he looked at them, he made up his mind on the spot and said he'll take them. I had to meet him later because he wanted to get cash first from the ATM, no problem.

Later came and before I could leave home he phoned me and came up with some BS about his card only being able to withdraw R2000, even when the wheels are for sale for R2000. Ok, maybe he needs bus fare or something... All good.

The next day he made up some excuse not to meet, and the next day I had to contact him to find out where/when we would meet. Then he tells me that he got another wheel, very sorry. Three days later he backs out of the deal. It's only R2k, but its the principal of the matter.

I gave hime a negative comment and he came back with a negative comment on me. So now it shows on my score, even though he backed out on the deal.

What now, is it worth making a comment after all when it reflects bad on you in the end even if it's not your wrong doing?

That's rating abuse, report the negative rating you receive with an explanation, admin will no doubt remove it.

That's rating abuse, report the negative rating you receive with an explanation, admin will no doubt remove it.

Thanks, didn't know I could do that. Will do so now.

I've never shopped in the east.  If my past experiences at fleamarkets are anything to go by, it better I stay here :wacko:

My last negotiating effort was a disaster......Last week I wanted to buy a bra the only one in the size and colour I wanted.  Problem was it was a "twin pack" and the bras partner was missing.  I asked the manager if I could pay half price because obviously the other bra had gone AWOL.  The manager just said "NO" and then just walked away :wacko: Negotiating just doesn't work for me

Going by your name, it must be your looks my dear Heheheee.

... so unfortunately a PM or the proverbial dibs might go unnoticed until much later .

Direct communication(verbal) avoids complications and shows interest . Even when i hit the Dibs call i make sure to phone immediately .

Good point. Noted.

• 3 weeks later...

I have posted about ethics.....and learned something in the process.

Hubbers will sometimes sell to a more convenient person......in order to not have to pack and ship the parcel.....we have to live with that.

I have posted about ethics.....and learned something in the process.

Hubbers will sometimes sell to a more convenient person......in order to not have to pack and ship the parcel.....we have to live with that.

Er... Ok, but then if I want to buy, tell me that you would like to wait a few days to find a local buyer if possible, and you'll call me if you don't manage to do that. At least then I know where I stand.

But don't be a tjop and say you'll sell to me, and then just drop me for a local chap.

To my mind, we just need to try and be open with one another, and, as someone said earlier, treat each other as we'd like to be treated. So true....