BC Bike Race 2016

Matchstix

I also made the mistake of watching the highlight video. Damn it looks like fun. And in the heart of single track heaven. On my to-do list for sure. Will need someone to commit with me in the near future. Who is in??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BC Bike race day 1 in 2 months time

45 km 1389m climb 1400 decent

Go look at the trail videos on trail forks

http://www.bcbikerace.com/the-journey/the-stages/day-1-cumberland/

A teaser of what’s in store: 1st Climb/Descent

Starting in the town of Cumberland the route heads quickly into the forest and onto a sustained gravel climb that will separate the riders (approx. 10km) with the last 1.5km on uphill singletrack. The Highlight reel opens up once you begin the descent here you will encounter some of Cumberland’s finest singletrack as you head back towards the town: Furtherburger, Blockhead, Bear Buns - a riders trail, across Sykes bridge into the historic Steam Donkey trail, That Dam trail followed by Missing Link and Mama Bear. Once you pass through the base camp you will begin your second lobe located to the east of town.

2nd Climb/Descent

Starting through the Village park (base camp) the second sustained climb begins on road then quickly dips into the forest and begins to gain vertical on singletrack.  The Cottonwood Climb transitions into some sweet singletrack on the 50:1 trail, to Cabbage Patch before tackling a bit more gravel road. Use the road to stretch, eat and hydrate as the rest of the day will be mostly on singletrack: Short Line meets Vanilla (a new climbing trail, that will test your legs and your skills) finally it’s Truffle Shuffle to Tea Pot that link into the final rest before Railroad, the 3 Crafty Butchers to the iconic Black Hole and Space Nugget and sprint for home at the Cumberland Village Park – Day 1 in the bag.

BC Bike race day 1 in 2 months time

45 km 1389m climb 1400 decent

Go look at the trail videos on trail forks

http://www.bcbikerace.com/the-journey/the-stages/day-1-cumberland/ A teaser of what’s in store: 1st Climb/Descent

Starting in the town of Cumberland the route heads quickly into the forest and onto a sustained gravel climb that will separate the riders (approx. 10km) with the last 1.5km on uphill singletrack. The Highlight reel opens up once you begin the descent here you will encounter some of Cumberland’s finest singletrack as you head back towards the town: Furtherburger, Blockhead, Bear Buns - a riders trail, across Sykes bridge into the historic Steam Donkey trail, That Dam trail followed by Missing Link and Mama Bear. Once you pass through the base camp you will begin your second lobe located to the east of town. 2nd Climb/Descent

Starting through the Village park (base camp) the second sustained climb begins on road then quickly dips into the forest and begins to gain vertical on singletrack. The Cottonwood Climb transitions into some sweet singletrack on the 50:1 trail, to Cabbage Patch before tackling a bit more gravel road. Use the road to stretch, eat and hydrate as the rest of the day will be mostly on singletrack: Short Line meets Vanilla (a new climbing trail, that will test your legs and your skills) finally it’s Truffle Shuffle to Tea Pot that link into the final rest before Railroad, the 3 Crafty Butchers to the iconic Black Hole and Space Nugget and sprint for home at the Cumberland Village Park – Day 1 in the bag.

Save your legs for Squamish. #Best_day_ever_on_the_bike

Still most definitely on the bucket list. G - how much was your total cost over there, if I may ask? Just so that I have a goal in mind. Far rather do this than the Epic. 

I did it in 2013. 

Its freakin technical from start to finish but lekker as hell!

Do remember that your seeding after the 1st day stays with you for the rest of the week. 

So if you have a bad day 01, you will start at the back for the rest of the days. 

And there is the fair share of fast on the climbs and slow on the decent guys

There are guys that did it in 2014 I think 12 seconds in another guy clipped his hb, he fell on the egg beater pedal, cracked ribs. . . They finished

Still most definitely on the bucket list. G - how much was your total cost over there, if I may ask? Just so that I have a goal in mind. Far rather do this than the Epic.

Plane tickets were about R20k, early bird entry was $1500 (at about R9 to the $) meals were $350, massages were $300, hotel in Whistler was $100pp 2 nights (end of stage 6, stage 7 and banquet). My wife volunteered and got a free ride (free meals, a tent and all ferries etc. included), so a good way for supporters to share the experience. Beer money was about $30'a day. You could do it for around R60k per person (R30k for a supporter) if you don't spend time in Vancouver before or Whistler after the race. We spent a week in Vancouver before the race and flew out to New York afterwards, so spent in the region of R150k on the whole trip (2 people).

My Girlfriend is also going to volunteer during the event. going to visit family in ottawa before hand and the will be moving on to BC with couch surfing as accommodation

I saw they made day 6 easier it eas going to be 53km with 2600m last week

http://www.bcbikerace.com/the-journey/the-stages/day-2-powell-river/

day 2

52km 1190m climbing

A teaser of what’s in store:

The course leads you out of town on a mix of bike path, gravel road and paved road towards a series of amazing mossy singletrack trails. Once the climbing begins you will find the course shifting back and forth between century-old logging rail beds and new trails built by retired loggers, hikers and mountain bikers. You’ll be crossing countless salmon streams on hand-built wooden bridges including one crossing Blackwater Creek just below Kelly Falls. Finally you approach the already famous arched Aloha Bridge built by the local Chain Gang especially for the BC Bike Race. Here you will first ride under and then circle around to ride across the bridge and continue up the golden Aloha Trail. Open it up along the mossy Green Road towards the highest elevation point on the course, the start the Death Rattle Trail. This custom built trail will allow you to fly, swooping and undulating down through a beautiful old growth forest. Cross the road quickly and then, too good to be true, more fast-flowing new school XC along the W8 Trail. Then full throttle along Cable Trail, an old rail bed, up and over uber tight twisty Toad Hollow, down into Frog Alley’s 400 meter cedar boardwalk and then still more ancient mossy rail bed until you reach a local challenge, the “Root Garden” a mostly flat but very gnarly set of roots alongside Haslam Lake, the community’s watershed.  A small flat stint on gravel road will take you to Bob’s Your Uncle and the Cream Soda trails for some flowing fast and amazing trail, but this is leading to your final climb, cross the gravel road once more and head up 51 Dodge as you climb to the top of Myrtle Springs Trail. Well worth the reward of a sweet descent and then one more popper climb towards the screaming fast Edgehill Rip inspired by Squamish’s Ring Creek Rip. From the bottom here you will merge onto urban streets, circle beautiful Cranberry Lake and after a short paved hill climb, you’re treated to Dipper Down, the last section of singletrack in the middle of town. Dropping down a sand chute onto the same industrial haul road that led you out, you’ll fly back down through that same tunnel under the highway, and then finally, open it up the other way along that amazing ocean-side Willingdon Beach Trail to the finish line right there at base camp, steps away from the “Marine Mile” full of restaurants and shops.

Got my passport back today with a Canadian visa thats going to last the rest of my passport and as an added bonus some goodies came for my bike

• 1 month later...

Waiting for flight to vancouver, delayed due to weather.

keep the posts coming.  Looks like a real adventure.

I hope you've put some pop back in the legs since Picket-bo-berg!!!!

Good luck the 2 of you! Enjoy

Archived