Oval chainrings

Christo

still confused as to how a 34T oval ring behaves like a 36T on the flats and 32 on the climbs when it pulls exactly the same amount of chain as a 34T round ring per crank revolution....

or is this one of those creationist arguments? Just believe and you will be lov

still confused as to how a 34T oval ring behaves like a 36T on the flats and 32 on the climbs when it pulls exactly the same amount of chain as a 34T round ring per crank revolution....

or is this one of those creationist arguments? Just believe and you will be loved...

When the the chainring comes closer to the crank you turn the same amount of teeth but they are closer to the crank i.e. less torque required and then when your chainring goes away from the crank(when you are at the stronger part of the cycle) you still turn the same amount of teeth with higher toque .

So what it comes down to is where your pedal stoke is weak you need less torque and where you are strong you need more torque but don't feel it because you have a lot more power at this point of the stroke 

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First impressions going from a 30t normal to a 34t kalbo elliptical.

It's *** hard on my local loop. But that was to be expected by going up by 13% on the front. Legs felt it for sure.

However - And this is a rather large however - there was a tangible smoothing of the power delivery. My mash became a puree, and the crossover between legs was noticeably less pronounced, to the point of being indistinguishable apart from the legs going up and down.

Traction is vastly improved on technical and loose climbs. And even though it was physically more taxing pushing a bigger gear, I managed, with far more ease, to clear one of the climbs that normally results in me huffing and puffing like an asthmatic paedo in a kindergarten.

So. Is it worth the money to upgrade, even though my existing 30t showed hardly any wear?

Upon initial (and rather short) test, I have to say yes. No doubt about it. I'll know more after this weekend's Enduro at Simonsberg (which has loads of climbing I'm told) but for now, the benefits are clear.

Myles, it will take a few rides before you wont even notice the difference

Yeah, given that I'll adapt and all, but I'm sure I'll notice it if I went back to circular

First impressions going from a 30t normal to a 34t kalbo elliptical.

It's *** hard on my local loop. But that was to be expected by going up by 13% on the front. Legs felt it for sure.

However - And this is a rather large however - there was a tangible smoothing of the power delivery. My mash became a puree, and the crossover between legs was noticeably less pronounced, to the point of being indistinguishable apart from the legs going up and down.

Traction is vastly improved on technical and loose climbs. And even though it was physically more taxing pushing a bigger gear, I managed, with far more ease, to clear one of the climbs that normally results in me huffing and puffing like an asthmatic paedo in a kindergarten.

So. Is it worth the money to upgrade, even though my existing 30t showed hardly any wear?

Upon initial (and rather short) test, I have to say yes. No doubt about it. I'll know more after this weekend's Enduro at Simonsberg (which has loads of climbing I'm told) but for now, the benefits are clear.

Mon dieu [emoji50] could it be I had a similar experience to that of our tech guru? Albeit that I was unable to put it as eloquently though [emoji4]

or is this one of those creationist arguments? Just believe and you will be lov

or is this one of those creationist arguments? Just believe and you will be loved...

When the the chainring comes closer to the crank you turn the same amount of teeth but they are closer to the crank i.e. less torque required and then when your chainring goes away from the crank(when you are at the stronger part of the cycle) you still turn the same amount of teeth with higher toque .

So what it comes down to is where your pedal stoke is weak you need less torque and where you are strong you need more torque but don't feel it because you have a lot more power at this point of the stroke

..aaaa...llll..r..iii ii ghty then

<insert "we got a live one".gif>

Chainsuck... ??? :eek:

post-67394-0-91619700-1462949772_thumb.jpg

I see this is what the guys abroad call it. So this is the second time this has happened to me on the Q-rings.

First time it happened just after 2 weeks of the installation so it could have just needed a fine tune, now 2 months later it happened again.

This time it happened while shifting from the small to big ring, and the chain basically gets jammed between the inner of the small ring and the bb, and there is no way to get it out other than removing the crank.

This happened at 5am this morning, thankfully not too far from home so I could just roll back.

So has anyone else experienced something similar and how did you resolve the issue ?

I am thinking of having a plate made to cover the gap between the small ring and bb so there is no place for the chain to get jammed.

I enjoy the Q-rings so don't want to go back to round.

attachicon.gifDSC_2043.JPG

I see this is what the guys abroad call it. So this is the second time this has happened to me on the Q-rings.

First time it happened just after 2 weeks of the installation so it could have just needed a fine tune, now 2 months later it happened again.

This time it happened while shifting from the small to big ring, and the chain basically gets jammed between the inner of the small ring and the bb, and there is no way to get it out other than removing the crank.

This happened at 5am this morning, thankfully not too far from home so I could just roll back.

So has anyone else experienced something similar and how did you resolve the issue ?

I am thinking of having a plate made to cover the gap between the small ring and bb so there is no place for the chain to get jammed.

That problem (and stupidlyfast wear) is why I binned them years ago. Not a problem on a single ring set up till the chainring is worn

attachicon.gifDSC_2043.JPG

Google "chain catcher"

That problem (and stupidlyfast wear) is why I binned them years ago. Not a problem on a single ring set up till the chainring is worn

Well I am sure there is a way around this, bike is at the shop now and they will check it out but I think this needs some creative engineering to have the problem fixed.

Google "chain catcher"

not a problem of the chain catcher. Have tried 2 different catchers but the problem is still there.

Ahh ok. sorry man, hope you come right.

thanks man, will have to come up with something.

You need to replace those rings more often. As someone once told me, they're made out if a special kind of Devonshire cheese. That's one solution. The other is go back to round rings but ha hey, once someone sees a rabbit dropping money into a shoe and starts believing in the tooth fairy hard to convince people otherwise.