TDF commentary .... Time for a change

Popit

At this point, I think it's only right that to point out that I'm sure anyone who is knocking Phil Liggett on this thread, is not doing so on a personal level.

I myself, have met Phil on a few occasions, and he really is a fantastic guy. 

I just feel that as of late, he is getting a lot of facts and names wrong. It happens. That is life.

But when you are getting paid to do a job that others are capable of doing (and are actually doing it better) and you are getting it wrong, it's time to step aside.

I do think Phil has a fantastic voice for commentating, but at the end of the day, it comes down to what is coming out of your mouth being more important than how it sounds.

+1 Well said

Over the last 2 days Phil has informed me (albeit incorrectly) that:

Rui Costa is the current world champion.

Tony Griepel was doing the domestique work.

Anyways, whether he retires soon or not, he has had a fantastic career that I can only dream of having.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In his shoes I will try hold onto the job as long a I can, getting paid to travel the world to commentate on cycling.

Perhaps someone can send this link to whoever pays Phil to commentate to let them know there are a lot of Hubbers who believe he has past his sell by date. 

In his shoes I will try hold onto the job as long a I can, getting paid to travel the world to commentate on cycling.

Perhaps someone can send this link to whoever pays Phil to commentate to let them know there are a lot of Hubbers who believe he has past his sell by date.

Once commentators are established, they seem to be pretty much bombproof, moreso than radio DJs who also take decades to die.

Thing is they are known quantities and a brand and with so much time to fill it's great to be able to stick with a team that works.

If hubbers are making these comments then it's going to be widespread which means the paymasters have done their thinking and calculations and believe this is the best way to go for now.

I wonder how they will deal with a change, phase Phil out or clean break. I met him a couple of years back and he gave a talk and wasn't really all there. Still v happy to have him carry on, not like its hard to workout what's going on, just nice to have some background noise.

His backing of Lance was bad.

How many times did Paul remind Phil of the climb over the last 2kms.  I missed the frsrt few before I started counting and then counted at least 10.

Paul & Phil can be a bit much, especially on a time trial, but they are much, much better than the two commentators from the Giro. All the one could talk about was his booze habit. Matt Keenan is probably the best one for me.

Got to agree. The old gang are no longer interesting. Just like two Charles Fortune's. Don't know how they will attract any young listeners.

Road racing is lik F1 or WRC. Excitement, money and, dare I say it, sex.

At this point, I think it's only right that to point out that I'm sure anyone who is knocking Phil Liggett on this thread, is not doing so on a personal level.

I myself, have met Phil on a few occasions, and he really is a fantastic guy. 

I just feel that as of late, he is getting a lot of facts and names wrong. It happens. That is life.

But when you are getting paid to do a job that others are capable of doing (and are actually doing it better) and you are getting it wrong, it's time to step aside.

I do think Phil has a fantastic voice for commentating, but at the end of the day, it comes down to what is coming out of your mouth being more important than how it sounds.

Over the last 2 days Phil has informed me (albeit incorrectly) that:

Rui Costa is the current world champion.

Tony Griepel was doing the domestique work.

Anyways, whether he retires soon or not, he has had a fantastic career that I can only dream of having.

I was quite surprised to hear that Dean Martin has come back to life and now riding for Cannondale-Garmin.

And there's a chap called Stuart Yates riding for OGE.

My gran used to call each of her 6 grandchildren by any one of the other grand children's names (she usually restricted it to the same sex, so I didn't get called "Louise" very often) and would sometimes go through two other names before getting it right. And that was when she was ok!

When my son was born and by then she had dementia properly, my son became me and I became my dad. She would ask me how my "wife" was, meaning my mum. It was crazy. Sometimes very funny, other times just heartbreaking.

She lived to be 100 years and Six months old.

My gran used to call each of her 6 grandchildren by any one of the other grand children's names (she usually restricted it to the same sex, so I didn't get called "Louise" very often) and would sometimes go through two other names before getting it right. And that was when she was ok!

When my son was born and by then she had dementia properly, my son became me and I became my dad. She would ask me how my "wife" was, meaning my mum. It was crazy. Sometimes very funny, other times just heartbreaking.

She lived to be 100 years and Six months old.

Good innings that!My mom used to call all three of us when she wanted one of us but had forgotten which one we were. I think she knew us more by sight than anything else. Luckily we were three boys so no getting called girls' names...

Got to agree. The old gang are no longer interesting. Just like two Charles Fortune's. Don't know how they will attract any young listeners.

Road racing is lik F1 or WRC. Excitement, money and, dare I say it, sex.

Ha, Ha, two "Charles Fortunes" thats classic, I had a good chuckle.

I (and I assume you) are old enough to remember listening to Charles Fortune, best known for his Sunday afternoon Cricket commentary, where he would go off on a tangent and mumble endlessly on about "the Blue Jays singing in the willows" and "the sun peeping over the ridge of the oval casting long shadows over the players" to describing the cake and sandwiches served for tea - today of course he would be laughed off the field, but back in his day there was no TV and commentating on radio he had to create an atmosphere, something I  thought he was pretty good at in his day, unfortunately he lost the plot long before he was tossed unceremoniously out of Springbok radio,... but Yah, Two "Charles Fortunes", I like the comparison. :thumbup:        

I think Phil Liggett is an absolute LEGEND and will always be the Voice o cycling. He is pleasant, knows his stuff and always modest and always has a good word for every cyclist. Paul on the other hand is a bit of an "I"surgeon".... I did this I did that I I I I....... jeez who remembers that annoying DUFUS Paddy Agnew that used to commentate on the Giro years ago. I am Irish myself but hell his voice and stupid anecdotes killed me!!!!! and rollin alog now, rollin alon......in da poolaton!!!! jeez. Now that Auzzie dude is very good as well!!! I like his pleasant disposition and he is also very knowledgeable......