TDF commentary .... Time for a change

Popit

AKA Murray and Ferrari....

Yes they are fixtures, but at what point does better commentary trump legacy?

The only commentators that should never have been changed was Julain Ryder and Keith Huewen!! I watch old YouTube videos just to hear them again... then I go huddle in the shower and think about how empty my life is without them.

Julian and Keith .... Best commentary pairing for ANY sport bar NONE . Loved them !!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirby on Eurosport is a head case but like listening to the Pommy cricket on the radio if you get into it, it's awesome. ;) 

Plus Kelly is king. 

Loads of people love watching the Tour that watch no other cycling at all. Part of the attraction for them is the Phil and Paul team. The extra viewers drive up the advertising rates and so we get to see a lot more cycling than we usually could.

They are not my favorite but they are very pro South African and they are not so bad that it spoils my viewing.

When eating a donut try to focus on the pastry, stop worrying about the hole in the middle.

When eating a donut try to focus on the pastry, stop worrying about the hole in the middle.

Gold! :)

Phil has a couple of houses over here. One in CPT and one up near Phalaborwa I think.

Phil has a couple of houses over here. One in CPT and one up near Phalaborwa I think.

He should retire to one. Then learn that it's Teklehaimanot. Not Telelkamonot or Teklemonont or Telehainot...

Edited by Ryanpmb

I have lots of respect for Phil. He does so much for SA cycling. Having a guy like him punting the SA riders the way he does, does wonders for our image. Even having him at the argus and 94.7 is a marketers dream

Neil manthorp? I love sabc radio cricket ,prefer it to the tv.plus they have the brilliant Andrew samson who is a national treasure

British folk are never very welcome on the Hub and it comes out a lot at tour time. e.g.

Wiggins

Sky

Cav

sheesh even Froome who's almost a Saffa, has been taking stick for being

Boring

Doping

& then the attacks on his Mrs

The commentary is great in my view because its what I'm used to and grew up with, and the mistakes are a social media industry of their own. Murray Walker, the finest exponent of the art.

The very worst commentators are the SABC radio cricket folk (apart from Natalie Germanus and Nigel(?) someone).

The others sound like a bunch of fans who've found the commentary box unlocked and the microphone on and thought theyd give it a go.

Phil Ligget is the voice of cycling. Carlton Kirby commentates all year round on other stuff on Eurosport. Can't stand the way he gets over excited about a crash, almost sounds like he wants them to crash before they do.

At this point, I think it's only right that to point out that I'm sure anyone who is knocking Phil Liggett on this thread, is not doing so on a personal level.

I myself, have met Phil on a few occasions, and he really is a fantastic guy. 

I just feel that as of late, he is getting a lot of facts and names wrong. It happens. That is life.

But when you are getting paid to do a job that others are capable of doing (and are actually doing it better) and you are getting it wrong, it's time to step aside.

I do think Phil has a fantastic voice for commentating, but at the end of the day, it comes down to what is coming out of your mouth being more important than how it sounds.

Over the last 2 days Phil has informed me (albeit incorrectly) that:

Rui Costa is the current world champion.

Tony Griepel was doing the domestique work.

Anyways, whether he retires soon or not, he has had a fantastic career that I can only dream of having.

Rob Hatch would be a worthy successor.

I remember the Giro when Wouter Weylandt died - he interviewed what seemed like every nationality in their own language.

Very impressive, that was..

He also seems very knowledgeable too.

Appreciate everything Phil's done over the years, but I personally feel it's time for a change. The same sayings over and over, and lately too many mistakes..

As a compromise perhaps P&P could rotate with another team every hour or 2

Edited by Eraser

AKA Murray and Ferrari....

Yes they are fixtures, but at what point does better commentary trump legacy?

The only commentators that should never have been changed was Julain Ryder and Keith Huewen!! I watch old YouTube videos just to hear them again... then I go huddle in the shower and think about how empty my life is without them.

Those two were a rolling comedy show of note, the chirps and comments were great and they added a lot to the races.