New ballot-style entry process for 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pity they couldnt just add more people into the race.

I know the last few groups will start in the heat but at least they get to ride.

Logistics gets more difficult with more people but a steep 470 bucks pays for that logistics anyway.....

If they changed the date earlier in the year as well (Lets say Jan or December even) you will get a extra hour of sunlight in the morning so the front guys could kick off really early.

But I have to agree with them though. This is the most fair method ultimately.

As someone already noted above I wouldn’t worry too much; come February and the classifieds will be flooded with redundant entries. I have a buddy who've competed 5 times and never entered during the September entry frenzy...

"HBO"

... " If you can't change something, then change the way you feel about it"

Like this quote.

"Red Zone"

... After experiencing the Two Oceans Ultra last year I am not unhappy with ditching the Argus.

Not done the CTCT since the route was shorter (and I'm not referring to last year). Changed to running many years ago and done the 2Oceans 4 times. Found that event a hellava lot more challenging, but greatly satisfying. Not an event for the chanster, especially if you targeting sub 6. So, ... will probably not join PPA and hope for the best. If I get in, great. If I don't, substitute?

What about a hub wide CTCT boycott??  Or a slow strike......

I would really feel better if there were any way that they could assure me that my wife, father and I would get places with this stupid system. 

I do like the race, and I will fork out the R470 if we are lucky enough to get chosen. 

If you look at the corruption stats in the country, I wonder who will need a bit of "$$$$$ motivation" to ensure a place in the race. 

And they will almost certainly built in some kind of BBBBEEEEE system into the lucky draw. 

A hub wide CTCT boycott will have my full moral support - at least until the lucky draws are finished. :ph34r:

Please proceed with this brilliant plan

Haha yes I know. 

So we can put money on it ('scuse the pun) that the DC entry system will also change after a 13 minute sell-out this year

Probably. depending on the amount of bribe motivation the organisers want. And if money or cycling is more important to them. 

Edited by allrounder

I was only chatting about this move the other day after watching the Ride For London event this last weekend. That ride (and many international marathon events as mentioned in the article) now only consider an entrant if they are raising funds for a charity.

I see the CTCT moving this way in future which I think is not such a bad thing. I still feel, though that long term supporting riders should be offered first option -- Not a lottery.

The CTCT should be advising what (if any) criteria may be used (tenure, seeding) to avoid this bad feeling 'fall-out'.

The comments about partners, accommodation and possible cancellation thereof are all extremely valid.

If CTCT is now focussed on raising funds, I see an opportunity for another peninsular race - One for Cyclists !!!!!!

If you look at the Western Cape road race calender, and compare it to lets say GP, you will see that we do not have as many opportunities down here to race. Now, we are losing yet another opportunity. 

Charities are all well, but when are we supposed to ride and experience organized events? If you are working full time, you can't fly everywhere to take part..... 

I was only chatting about this move the other day after watching the Ride For London event this last weekend. That ride (and many international marathon events as mentioned in the article) now only consider an entrant if they are raising funds for a charity.

I see the CTCT moving this way in future 

Good point, I think everyone p%%ed off at the R470 entrance fee should also consider that the year after it will probably something like R600 and then who knows what the next year?

Not saying I agree with this but that's just the way things are going to go with demand outstripping supply and the focus on raising funds - i guess if you want to do this race get in while you can still afford it because soon you might not be able to even if you want to  :cursing:

Probably. depending on the amount of bribe motivation the organisers want. And if money or cycling is more important to them.

Really?? Come now. It's a non profit organization. Rather big allegations being made here. Who would even pay the bribe??

If you look at the Western Cape road race calender, and compare it to lets say GP, you will see that we do not have as many opportunities down here to race. Now, we are losing yet another opportunity.

Charities are all well, but when are we supposed to ride and experience organized events? If you are working full time, you can't fly everywhere to take part.....

Have you taken part in the lights by Linea or WP road league events? I find there is more than enough racing at good events.