Ladies–only mountain bike stage race launches in South Africa

News bot

With more than 60 events annually, South Africa is undoubtedly the mountain bike stage race capital of the world. It was only a matter of time before a ladies-only stage race was established; and in 2016, Titanium Sports Events will present the inaugural Tour de Femme.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That explains the whole Bruce to Caitlyn Jenna thing...

Wonder which pros now would do well with a switcharooo like Jenna. :P

Personally I find all these girls events patronising and cliched. Most of them are about 20-40km long which is my first issue. Secondly, it's probably going to cost the earth. Plus, although I hold several Cape Wine Academy certificates I actually prefer a beer after a ride. 

As for getting my hands dirty, show me a bike wash after a race that leaves you with a clean chain! You still have to take a rag to your bike and get all the junk off your chain.

*Rant over*

Guest notmyname

Personally I find all these girls events patronising and cliched. Most of them are about 20-40km long which is my first issue. Secondly, it's probably going to cost the earth. Plus, although I hold several Cape Wine Academy certificates I actually prefer a beer after a ride.

As for getting my hands dirty, show me a bike wash after a race that leaves you with a clean chain! You still have to take a rag to your bike and get all the junk off your chain.

*Rant over*

Lol. You make a valid point.

*Rant over*

That's one viewpoint. And a valid one.

But on the other hand you have someone like my wife who is excited about this. 3 days of 40km will test her, any more and she will probably be too intimidated to try, wine tasting on the farms that we've just ridden have become a ritual, and she won't recognise a dirty chain, so she surely won't take a rag and clean it. But sadly I agree with you so I always wash my bikes myself at stage races.

I for one will encourage my wife to enter this.

I just don't think it is possible to capture the whole spectrum of lady riders into one package, the range is just too wide.

For now, the most frustrating part of this, is putting out info and talking about the event and getting the marketing going  - but not having a functioning website!! 

Surely that should be a priority as people want information without having to email. Suddenly your email is on another distribution list.

Why don't they rather market it as a "Beginner's" or "Stage Race Lite"?

The pitch seems patronizing...and I despise modern day feminism (aka "Bloggers need jobs too").

But hey, let the ladies vote with their (or their husband's...see what I did there?) wallets.

*Rant over*

I agree. I find the tone of the entire thing totally patronising and disempowering of women- assuming we are incapable of fixing our bikes, cleaning them or even competing on an equal playing field with men. Is this the 1950's?

I can only assume women who actually ride bikes are not the intended target market, and perhaps the squishy marketing will actually work for some women and encourage more women to participate in this amazing sport.

Just to be clear (and less sarcastic) - I am serious that women should vote with their wallet.  If the event is well supported then by all means, it proves that the pitch was spot on and the outraged can go start their own event instead of peeing on someone else's efforts.  If not, the marketers will have to revisit the concept.

I personally have zero problem with corporate discrimination if it is rational and based on factual realities.  Let's see if this one is.

There is a huge market for a stage race for women less serious about their riding and just want to share the experience with other women without the intimidating crazy men who ride through everything.

You will find them in tokai lower forest most mornings.

There is a huge market for a stage race for women cyclists less serious about their riding and just want to share the experience with other women cyclists without the intimidating crazy men who ride through everything.

You will find them in tokai lower forest most mornings.

Thought I'd help out there.  The generalisation isn't sound.

I happen to like ladies only events, due to these events engaging more ladies cyclists. Some of the ladies are intimidated by "races" or "events" with the men on the trails. 

More is more when it comes to anything female cycling related. Granted some do ride and want a more competitive environment, however the vast majority just want to ride their bikes and have a good time. 

Yes, I do not like the patronizing wording of the event intro, again, we experience it on a daily basis so no change there anyway.

I loved taking part in the "Women on the go" event this part Monday, it was a well organised event, female only and well attended. I had a very good time, even if I am not a mtb rider, with much skills. The ladies do race difference and oh boy, overtaking on single track does take some skill, lucky most of the ladies did not swear. LOL! 

Always amazed how little it takes to offend people on social media  :ph34r:

Don't know if it will work but I think it is a novel idea...

I agree with Slowbee though, a bit of fail to launch your event with no functional website, not a great start for "Titanium Sports Events".

Please point out the patronising bits of the article. I'm really struggling to see the offending words

Maybe it's just my chauvinism coming through but I can't see anything offensive