Ladies–only mountain bike stage race launches in South Africa

News bot

There's bike washes, lube stations, great food (not just carbs), massage stations at joberg2c, sani2c, 3towers, kalahari challege. And lots of (free) wine and great food at desert knights. And if you were going to become the next Gunn-rita then you would have done these events anyway.

As an alternative to a spa day (or -weekend) this sounds great.

To try to get more women into the sport: maybe that wasn't the target anyway.

But pedi's and mani's and leasurely rides through vinyards? Sounds absolutely great as a girls weekend away: get a few girlfriends together to celebrate graduating or for a kitchen tea or a 40th birthday party. If that was the intention then this sounds great.

Edited by cat-i

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why are there no mens only races with whisky tastings at the finish and strippers to clean the bikes, in that case?? Thanks cargyrl for helping enlighten these boys.

You seem to have stumbled upon an amazing business idea.  :whistling:

You still have to think about the meals, accomodation and chill zones.  :clap:

*Forgot to add emoticons.*

Edited by Pure Savage

And i didnt queue at sani or use a headlight to brush my teeth either..#justsaying. I did however have a massage and enjoyed great food including salads. If you had offered me a pedi i probably would have been to tired to accept because i was there to ride, not to be pampered.

Maybe not my place to make any comments, but I really struggle to see why some women (almost typed girls,oops) are so offended? Would you prefer a female only race where they only have unhealthy food and no tec support?

Maybe not my place to make any comments, but I really struggle to see why some women (almost typed girls,oops) are so offended? Would you prefer a female only race where they only have unhealthy food and no tec support?

Flipped it past my so and neither she nor her friends see the problem...

And apparently I'm not a chauvinist pig for fixing a ladies flat

Edited by raptor-22

You know I haven't been on the hub for a while but nothing seems to have changed. Still filled with lots of people who have nothing better to do than bitch about stuff that should actually be exciting.

Maybe some of you guys should do the stage race. Sure they have a category for Biatches aged 2-4.

LOL!

Guest notmyname

Lol. I see the comment Missy would have made has been removed by the ninjas.

why are there no mens only races with whisky tastings at the finish and strippers to clean the bikes, in that case?? Thanks cargyrl for helping enlighten these boys.

??

:huh:

It is called Route 62 or 66 i think ,coming up in October 

There's bike washes, lube stations, great food (not just carbs), massage stations at joberg2c, sani2c, 3towers, kalahari challege. And lots of (free) wine and great food at desert knights. And if you were going to become the next Gunn-rita then you would have done these events anyway.

As an alternative to a spa day (or -weekend) this sounds great.

To try to get more women into the sport: maybe that wasn't the target anyway.

But pedi's and mani's and leasurely rides through vinyards? Sounds absolutely great as a girls weekend away: get a few girlfriends together to celebrate graduating or for a kitchen tea or a 40th birthday party. If that was the intention then this sounds great.

I think there are more touring ladies than racing ones .My wife and daughter did a bike tour in France where they rode 70km a day and enjoyed every minute .The only hiccup was a frenchie  bike shop owner that refused to help them with their bike setup ,because he was jealous of the organizer

Personally, think people are making more fuss than there actually is over this, and it seems opinion is pretty split on the idea. So maybe that itself is telling.

Spoke to a friend who is starting out riding and she asked me about this event because she read the release and was frustrated by the lack of info even after emailing the address on the 'under construction site'

She's damn fit and with a some riding experience will give most guys a hiding. What I really liked though was her comment to me at the end of talking about the event...

"I like girl's weekends away, I get that not everyone see's the appeal of this event and sure may even be critical about it and that's great. But I really don't need any bra burners or 'dudes' to get on their high horse and be offended on my behalf, I'm an adult and I can decide for myself. Maybe they should find real things to deal with"

I will do it if it's a challenge and riding thru areas one doesn't usually get to ride thru. I like the atmosphere created on "woman's only" events but I don't want dumbed down trails so I can't wait to hear more info.

I personally reckon with out the "pressure" put on at mainstream events that ladies can cope extremely well on tough stuff :)