ScottCM

I'm looking for some recommendations on a decent treadmill, not keen on Trojan, Reebok etc. Zwift compatibility would be ideal.

I was looking around online, but it seems that higher end treadmills aren't readily available to the public.

Nordictrack? https://www.treadmillreviews.net/nordictrack-treadmill-comparison/  Think Sportsmans have some  https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/catalogsearch/result/?q=nordic+track, else  Technogym if can get

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a good one, industrial grade if you can or top of the range. I killed mine a few weeks ago which is sad. It also could only do 4:15/km so it was limiting.

Spec something on the hours/week you run and your pace you want to run on it.

Industrial ones make smart trainer seem super cheap sadly.

Hi Mudsimus

If you dont manage to find a Treadmill that will work with Zwift I can recommend getting the Zwift Runpod that will allow you to sync real time data to Zwift during your run on any "dumb" treadmill.

https://www.runbeatable.com/men/technology/running-analytics/zwift-runpod/

Thanks for all the feedback, will look at all options.

Im definitely getting the runpod.

I currently have a very basic Trojan. Im really impressed with it actually. I did a 50 hour month so far including to 5 hours continuous runs and had no issues. But the deck is starting to wear and its getting noisy. But that is expected after 4 years. So will probably replace it sooner than later.

Thanks for all the feedback, will look at all options.

Im definitely getting the runpod.

I haven't tested it but in theory a Tickr X HRM (cadence via BTLE only)  / Fenix 6 should also work for virtual running

I'm looking for some recommendations on a decent treadmill, not keen on Trojan, Reebok etc. Zwift compatibility would be ideal.

I was looking around online, but it seems that higher end treadmills aren't readily available to the public.

What’s wrong with Trojan, etc?

Like I said in my earlier post, not much, but would like something a little more durable, stronger motor, suspension deck etc.

They're a bit 'flimsy', or at least that is when compared to the commercial ones. They are also limited in their speed. Mine goes up to '12' which is too slow for interval training. The belt is a bit finicky, struggle to keep it true. When I run it stays true, when my kid walks, it shifts to the side...

That said, it has been an absolute life saver during lockdown. Up to three of us using it some days and it has handled well.

Actually, ZWIFT is something I have been doing some research on lately as I kit out a home gym.

I am probably going to get the RUNN device and set it up on our treadmill. Seems to be the easiest way to go about it. Just install it once and BOOM - Smart treadmill.

I like the Stryder POD, but can't face paying that amount of money for it.

Has anyone actually been running on Zwift (the last post in this thread about it was 2018) ?

What's your bucket list race?

The Great New York 100 mile race. Looks pretty awesome. 

Actually, ZWIFT is something I have been doing some research on lately as I kit out a home gym.

I am probably going to get the RUNN device and set it up on our treadmill. Seems to be the easiest way to go about it. Just install it once and BOOM - Smart treadmill.

Has anyone actually been running on Zwift (the last post in this thread about it was 2018) ?

I run quite a lot in Zwift. Started with the Zwift running pod and it works fine. You have to calibrate it, but it's easy enough, just make sure you're treadmill speed is true (mine was about 45s/km optimistic at 5 min/km). Replaced it with the Stryd pod and works brilliantly as it's got bluetooth and ANT+ so I can link the tablet (running Zwift) and the Garmin watch at the same time and doesn't need calibrating.

What I also find with the Stryd is that (I think) it pushes the power value through to Zwift as the measured distances between Zwift and the watch are closer together - independent of how much Zwift climbing was done in the run.

As the treadmill is not linked, it doesn't change the gradient automatically and I generally just leave it, but it does improve the whole indoor running experience significantly. I usually select a course of more or less the distance I want to cover and try and complete it, which kind of pushes you to not just stop at any arbitrary time. As an example, I was only really off the first week of lock-down, but managed to complete 3 half marathons on Zwift in that week.

So for me it made a huge difference and is definitely worthwhile. 

I don't do Zwift run but have run and trained with a Stryd foot pod for the last 2 yrs, it has improved my speed work, and quality of running when running to power rather than running to pace or HR.  Especially when it comes to running the longer distances and for the rolling hill terrain courses, it is much easier to pace.

Have heard good things about the RUNN sensor, easy to fit and accurate.  You will however only be using it on the treadmill, where as the Stryd foot pod you can used on the treadmill for interval training, zwift via bluetooth and can also use when out on the road.  I think you have a garmin, so you can easily have all the Stryd power data on your watch.  I now only train and race on power with the occasional glance to check on HR.  Having run on power for so long i know that if i stick to the power that I want to run at I know that I don't generally have to worry about HR.

The cheapest option is a Zwift Runpod.

I don't do Zwift run but have run and trained with a Stryd foot pod for the last 2 yrs, it has improved my speed work, and quality of running when running to power rather than running to pace or HR. Especially when it comes to running the longer distances and for the rolling hill terrain courses, it is much easier to pace.

Have heard good things about the RUNN sensor, easy to fit and accurate. You will however only be using it on the treadmill, where as the Stryd foot pod you can used on the treadmill for interval training, zwift via bluetooth and can also use when out on the road. I think you have a garmin, so you can easily have all the Stryd power data on your watch. I now only train and race on power with the occasional glance to check on HR. Having run on power for so long i know that if i stick to the power that I want to run at I know that I don't generally have to worry about HR.

The cheapest option is a Zwift Runpod.

Main reason for the Runn over the pod is that wife, me and son all use treadmill. So it would be easier from that angle.

I currently run with fenix5x and Garmin hrm-run strap.

I might consider getting a Stryd pod in the future. I quite like the one with wind analysis.

Main reason for the Runn over the pod is that wife, me and son all use treadmill. So it would be easier from that angle.

I might consider getting a Stryd pod in the future. I quite like the one with wind analysis.

I have the original Stryd, works fine.  Their app and analysis of your run post training or racing has come a very long way and is very in depth now which I like.

I would also like to upgrade to the latest with wind algorithm etc, but also can't get around to paying that amount.  Will have to wait until the current Stryd dies of old age or there is sale special somewhere.

Sounds like the Runn is the best option for you.

This was a very interesting read:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/06/testing-in-the-wind-tunnel-with-stryds-new-running-power-meter.html