ScottCM

I quite like this thread myself Scott.... It's nice to get a general feel what everyone's interests are too.. Interested to hear others opinions

+1 i enjoy the variety. 

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Guys and Gals

I contacted the Admin in regards to TrailHub and posting other running related threads to make it more all round running inclusive and i'm delighted to be able to share their response,

"Hi Scott

Thanks for getting in contact and showing interest in Trail Hub.

Please feel free to start discussions on any topic relating to running. We're not strict about keeping the discussion to trail running only. In fact, we'd like to make the website more inclusive of all types of running going forward."

So instead of aggregating all our various topics on only this thread, lets try and generate more traffic to the sister site too.

http://www.trailhub.co.za/?utm_source=bikehub.co.za&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=bikehub

maybe this thread should be mirrored on the trail hub as well.  A small server/ database setting?

1. Is heel to toe mm's REALLY that big an issue?   For this example, 12mm together with a 8mm shoe.    The two used together as well as is the 12mm really too high and would it be better is 10mm is the max.  (Once again, not sure is these mm's is really that critical?)

2. If these two shoes are different brands, is that more of a problem.   How much truth is there in sticking to the same brand in multiple shoes?

Is this all bollocks or can this, especially the 12mm one, be part of my itb issues?    What does not make sense to me, if this mm's or then the shoe brand is part of the problem, is why did the itb only resurface then in peak April training, and not somewhere in between already (June to April with a marathon in November)

In for the 21 km.

Best of luck bud, hope it goes well

Nope, last of the long runs before Kaapsehoop. You going to run it?

Nope, taking my Son away for the weekend. Only planned event for the year is Soweto HM. 

1. Is heel to toe mm's REALLY that big an issue? For this example, 12mm together with a 8mm shoe. The two used together as well as is the 12mm really too high and would it be better is 10mm is the max. (Once again, not sure is these mm's is really that critical?)

2. If these two shoes are different brands, is that more of a problem. How much truth is there in sticking to the same brand in multiple shoes?

Is this all bollocks or can this, especially the 12mm one, be part of my itb issues? What does not make sense to me, if this mm's or then the shoe brand is part of the problem, is why did the itb only resurface then in peak April training, and not somewhere in between already (June to April with a marathon in November)

I have no idea how many mm any of my running shoes are or how it effects me.

But then I’ve only been running in running shoes since about 1985 (last century) and still a bit of a noob

Personaly I believe it is a good idea to have different types of running shoes, the idea being to allow your feet to work different muscles in the interest of all balanced development.... hope it makes sense.

However the vast majority of runners manage just fine with the same single brand of shoe. Even if you stay with the same brand / type they do tend to vary year from year.

ITB is an over use injury and will pop up after some form of over use... the over use need not be running but any activity or combination of activities which affects your itb tendon. Mine was a combination of running and gym leg work (which I don’t normally do).

1. Is heel to toe mm's REALLY that big an issue? For this example, 12mm together with a 8mm shoe. The two used together as well as is the 12mm really too high and would it be better is 10mm is the max. (Once again, not sure is these mm's is really that critical?)

2. If these two shoes are different brands, is that more of a problem. How much truth is there in sticking to the same brand in multiple shoes?

Is this all bollocks or can this, especially the 12mm one, be part of my itb issues? What does not make sense to me, if this mm's or then the shoe brand is part of the problem, is why did the itb only resurface then in peak April training, and not somewhere in between already (June to April with a marathon in November)

I run with a 3mm, 6mm and 8mm trail shoes. 4mm and 12mm road shoes. They all feel the same???? The 3 and 4mm just kills my calves on hard runs.

I run with a 3mm, 6mm and 8mm trail shoes. 4mm and 12mm road shoes. They all feel the same The 3 and 4mm just kills my calves on hard runs.

I couldn't agree more! These days I buy what is on special. The past 2 years I've ran in Saucony (4mm), New Balance(6mm) and Asics(6mm) road shoes. I just know I killed (destroyed) the Asics' cushioning before even 500km (and it had the crappiest upper I've ever experienced in my whole running career). The Saucony Kinvara's was good for 800km before the sparsely placed rubber pads disappeared. New Balance Zante's are good for 1000km..

1. Is heel to toe mm's REALLY that big an issue?   For this example, 12mm together with a 8mm shoe.    The two used together as well as is the 12mm really too high and would it be better is 10mm is the max.  (Once again, not sure is these mm's is really that critical?)

2. If these two shoes are different brands, is that more of a problem.   How much truth is there in sticking to the same brand in multiple shoes?

Is this all bollocks or can this, especially the 12mm one, be part of my itb issues?    What does not make sense to me, if this mm's or then the shoe brand is part of the problem, is why did the itb only resurface then in peak April training, and not somewhere in between already (June to April with a marathon in November)

The heel to toe drop is unlikely to be related to ITB since being a forward/backward change it would affect your achilles or calves more. SwissVan probably has a pretty good strategy by constantly switching drops but if you do go from having always run in, say, a 12mm and suddenly drop to a 4 or 6mm whilst maintaining the same distances, you do risk an achilles issue.

It's also not an injury guarantee sticking to the same shoe. Manufacturers can be pretty inconsistent from year to year. Look at the Nimbus, for example. The 17 and the 19 are radically different shoes and it's rare to find a fan of one that also enjoys the other. Adidas were dead in the water (as far as running was concerned) a while back until they brought out their Boost midsole. Nike is now making a massive comeback with their Zoom midsoles, an offshoot of the Breaking2 project, and Asics is going to have to work to catch up again.

I can't imagine that 4mm can cause an issue yes.  Perhaps from 12 - 3mm, but I agree.

Since starting with the 8mm ones, they do feel nicer to me, but that can purely be the different brand and actually more premium cushioning in this instance. 

Thanks so far guys

Adidas were dead in the water (as far as running was concerned) a while back until they brought out their Boost midsole. Nike is now making a massive comeback with their Zoom midsoles, an offshoot of the Breaking2 project, and Asics is going to have to work to catch up again.

and drop their price considerably......

I can't imagine that 4mm can cause an issue yes.  Perhaps from 12 - 3mm, but I agree.

Since starting with the 8mm ones, they do feel nicer to me, but that can purely be the different brand and actually more premium cushioning in this instance. 

Thanks so far guys

I have no proof for the negative/positive effect a heel-toe drop will have on anything but the smaller the difference when changing shoes the better it should be. The therapist who treats my ITB issues said stick to the shoe you always use as manufacturers are aware that people tend to stick to what works for them more often than not.

I am relatively new to the running scene as it has only been a year since I started running seriously. I only use Nike in general, and the Free Run model specifically for running. I am onto my 3rd pair, still using the 2nd pair from time to time, and I have 2 more pairs waiting in the wings for their intro to the tar. All in all, no issues, and it looks like the difference between the older and newer models is a maximum of 2mm.

Edited by tjommies3

I can't imagine that 4mm can cause an issue yes. Perhaps from 12 - 3mm, but I agree.

Thanks so far guys

Heel height does affect some people quite critically

My wife being one, she has short / tight Achilles’ tendons and cannot run with low heels at all, she even has heel raisers built into her orthotics to compensate for this. Without heel raisers her calves take major strain and have on occasions stopped her from running due to pain.

I have been told that the smaller the heel drop the more natural the running style will be can help to change your style to a more mid or fore foot fall rather than heel.

With any drastic change in shoe heel drop, you should consider backing off distance and building up with the new shoe

Remind me why we need shoes with Zoom, Boost, DNA midsoles or any other expensive tech...

Those things are overrated.   You will however need to upgrade to Mr Sport R500 ones if you want to shave another 8 mins off that time!  ;)

That does however look like a 2mm heel to toe drop, so perhaps there is merit in the 12mm is too much arguments!

Edited by Jackes