ScottCM

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck for the weekends training everyone. 

Who's doing any events this wkn?

http://www.raceresults.co.za/flyers/dn0318.jpg

I have a two hour LSD scheduled this weekend. Any suggestions for where or an event to run. A bit bored of my old route in and around Fourways.   

Sunday, Fairlands/Northcliff https://www.entrytime.com/event-details/?EventId=5459

Might be able to enter at registration.

Last long ride Saturday and will be doing this run as a tempo run ... then looking forward to start tapering for IMSA :)

Edited by shaper

We got Umgeni Water Marathon, doing the 15km run in Midmar Dam.  Such a nice event. My husband has been battling with Achilles problems and pf for ages and he was finally convinced to buy a pair of Hoka shoes..he says they are an "acquired feel" but so comfortable.  If these shoes convert him..then I think they must be incredible..but I will feed back once he has done more milage, he giving them a go at water marathon and will make the decision from there if he runs OMTOM in them.

We got Umgeni Water Marathon, doing the 15km run in Midmar Dam.  Such a nice event. My husband has been battling with Achilles problems and pf for ages and he was finally convinced to buy a pair of Hoka shoes..he says they are an "acquired feel" but so comfortable.  If these shoes convert him..then I think they must be incredible..but I will feed back once he has done more milage, he giving them a go at water marathon and will make the decision from there if he runs OMTOM in them.

Good luck with the run, I've always been keen to do that marathon. How's your weather looking for the weekend? I believe you guys have been getting good rain in the midlands as well?

I'm doing my first trail run for the year on Sunday, the Walter Sisulu 20km. By the looks of things, it should be a good, fun mudfest.

Over 50mls in the last 25 hours.  Plenty rain.

Its such a good run, the 32km and 42km a little more challenging but the 15km is really good.

Good luck on your trail run..they are the best.  Id run a trail run any day over a road run.  If you are down our way on the 22nd April, do the Insingizi trail run, there is a 9 and 18km option...beautiful run.  Plenty single track.  Its tied together with the Mid Illovo Mtb race.

On the note of Hoka's

I am retiring my speedgoat 2's from serious running as of this week, will buy another pair early next week after payday.

Lifespan:

6 months -Bought October last year

1080km - note these are trail shoes and I actually probably ran 300-400km on tar with them and wore out the tread.

Blisters:0 (Haven't had a blister in years though, so not really a big rave)

Longest run: 60km skyrun route for wartrail- 9hours

Current condition:

To be fair my tar running has worn the tread out a bit fast, as a light runner to me the soles and support still feel good and solid. The upper has no tears or damage, certainly looks better than other name brand shoes after 1000km. I will still wear them for gym work and as plaas shoes for a while.

Damage in general- nothing to write home about, few tassles of foam but all superficial, structurally all seems good.

Comments:

It takes a little to get used to them, especially in tech but once you comfy in them you appreciate them and down hills are awesome. I don't rate them as fast shoes for short distance, but on longer runs they are amazing, I am gonna look at getting a combo of speedgoat and then a short distance race shoe. The upper is narrow which suites my waterski shaped feet. I have not had a single leg niggle even inthe time running these shoes, but that could be coincidence. 

Would I recommend them? - If they are the right shape for your feet and want to run far then definitely without hesitation. I have 2 more over 150km running races coming up this year and both will be done in Hoka Speedgoats.

On the note of Hoka's

Did you ever have Challenger ATR's? I'm wondering the difference. I have the ATR 3 because its basically the same show as the old cliftons, Although I wouldn't mind trying the speedgoats when these get older

I perhaps have a really stupid question. but when it comes to trail vs road running, what type of 'effort ratio' should one work off of? as in what distance trail run would be the equivalent of a 5km, 10km and 21km road run?

I am super interested in giving a trail run a go at a local mtb trail (which allows runners) but dont want to set the bar too high so that I am put off.

I have a two hour LSD scheduled this weekend. Any suggestions for where or an event to run. A bit bored of my old route in and around Fourways.

Like I said you are welcome to join the Jukskei group on the weekend

I perhaps have a really stupid question. but when it comes to trail vs road running, what type of 'effort ratio' should one work off of? as in what distance trail run would be the equivalent of a 5km, 10km and 21km road run?

I am super interested in giving a trail run a go at a local mtb trail (which allows runners) but dont want to set the bar too high so that I am put off.

The correct scientific answer is: it depends. 

There is no golden ration. Trail runs vary to each other. I have one start to a run where it takes me approx 45 min to cover the first 3 k's from my house, but gain about 600m in elevation if I must guess. Then there's runs where you can just klap singletrack and it flat and fast. 

Something to remember is it's a bit more alternate movements, not just one foot in front of the other, for some runs and your stability is therefore important. Make sure your joints can handle the sideways and rotational impact by building up gradually. If you run gravel roads, not an issue obviously! But unless you run flat routes, be prepared to give those calves a good workout - together with the rest of the climbing muscles.

Give it a go! Take snacks along and rest along the way. You'll find the time ticks away much faster in nature than in the concrete jungle! Have fun! 

We planned on doing the Denel race (because it just 10km from home and I have VIP parking), but we have babysitter problems for Saturday morning. So we are considering making the trip through to RAC for their Sunday club run which I always enjoy. EmJayZA??

My first week this year not making the list. I pulled something in my groin on Tuesday . Went for a slow run yesterday but it's still there :-(

It's at a place where going to a physio it might get uncomfortable for everyone in the room

Nooooo, I got beaten by a girl... :clap:  :thumbup:

Well Done Jessica, jeez she's looking super strong.

And by such a huge Margin, I feel like the Aussie Cricket Squad..

Edited by Lexx