ScottCM

The phantom niggles of every big taper are a real struggle, can't walk across a car park without feeling it...

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a tad more than 1200km before Comrades...but luckily I'm not doing Comrades!

Went for my first run yesterday after a 10day break after our trail run. The plan was to do an easy 8km, but cut it short at 6km. Goeie genade. I lost my lungs and legs near Lesotho. If I was to run Comrades I will probably not make the first 1/29th.

That's impressive for not training for the big C. I'm on about 850 I think. My plan was 1000 miles for the year.. Bit it looks like I might be able to go for the 2018 in 2018

That's impressive for not training for the big C. I'm on about 850 I think. My plan was 1000 miles for the year.. Bit it looks like I might be able to go for the 2018 in 2018

That is more or less my normal mileage for around this time of the year (at least for the last 5 odd years). I usually aim for two "major" events in the first 5 months of the year. This year it was OMTOM and Giant's Cup. Last year African X and OMTOM, ect.

I will do another 1200-1300km the next 7 months, and the goal will be again one marathon + Tough One. I will be aiming to do my 9th Tough One this year and it is the one race I don't seem to grow tired of. Mainly because I've never had an off day, except for the first one.

Will that 1.875 mil waters be enough this year... :mellow:     Remember the suntan lotion!

Hope that forecast holds... looks pretty great. Lower humidity a plus for sure... and a bit of clouds always a bonus.  

The phantom niggles of every big taper are a real struggle, can't walk across a car park without feeling it...

It's crazy stuff... I'm not even running at the moment and I've developed Fasciitis and Runners knee  :lol:

Tomorrow will be my last midweek early morning(04h00) run . It couldn't come any sooner as its really been a struggle these last couple of weeks. 

Strangely enough the nerves haven't started yet , next week i'm sure will be a different story.

Seeing my Doctor today. Think I have a bad sinus drip. Chest felt so tight yesterday when I did a speed session, and because I have Asthma, it feels 50 times worse. Not the best time to get sick, but hopefully its not that bad. Just dont want any antibiotics.

Wanted to share a quick story. I went to Cycle FO to pick up some additional winter gear as this winter is proving to be a lot colder than last year. When I went to pay, there was an issue with the card machine. Cycle FO's bike mechanic (Vusi iirc) was helping me pay. While we were standing around waiting for the shop manager to come back to assist with the machine, Vusi started telling me about his Comrades journey. He is about to do his third Comrades.

He ran his first Comrades in 7:15! I was floored. His aim is to get 10 consecutive Silver medals and he is a bit worried about it this year because he has picked up a little niggle in his calf. If he does not get a silver this year, he will have to start all over again. He runs from his home in Tembisa to the bike shop or sometimes his boss will drop him further away so he can run home. On weekends he will bash out a 60 or 70km run, starting at 3am. He is not sure how many KMs he does in a week, but he estimates around 150km. He said that he doesn't have any funding for "supplements" (like 32gi or High 5), and he has done some runs with nothing (which he says is very painful and difficult). 

Just goes to show you can find talent, passion and inspiration anywhere. 

Wanted to share a quick story. I went to Cycle FO to pick up some additional winter gear as this winter is proving to be a lot colder than last year. When I went to pay, there was an issue with the card machine. Cycle FO's bike mechanic (Vusi iirc) was helping me pay. While we were standing around waiting for the shop manager to come back to assist with the machine, Vusi started telling me about his Comrades journey. He is about to do his third Comrades.

He ran his first Comrades in 7:15! I was floored. His aim is to get 10 consecutive Silver medals and he is a bit worried about it this year because he has picked up a little niggle in his calf. If he does not get a silver this year, he will have to start all over again. He runs from his home in Tembisa to the bike shop or sometimes his boss will drop him further away so he can run home. On weekends he will bash out a 60 or 70km run, starting at 3am. He is not sure how many KMs he does in a week, but he estimates around 150km. He said that he doesn't have any funding for "supplements" (like 32gi or High 5), and he has done some runs with nothing (which he says is very painful and difficult). 

Just goes to show you can find talent, passion and inspiration anywhere. 

He was actually my bike mechanic for Cape Epic in 2014 when they were still Bike basement ..  I think you are referring to Thabo (Vusi is the bigger guy behind the counter normally - I stand to be corrected though)…

Super nice guy and very talented runner...

Seeing my Doctor today. Think I have a bad sinus drip. Chest felt so tight yesterday when I did a speed session, and because I have Asthma, it feels 50 times worse. Not the best time to get sick, but hopefully its not that bad. Just dont want any antibiotics.

Not great timing but still 10 days so you will be ok... If you HAVE to take antibiotic ask for Zithromax… its a sports 3 days course and doesn't affect the Tendons/Muscles etc. like some antibiotics can... and its only 3 days so you still have a week spare..

Not great timing but still 10 days so you will be ok... If you HAVE to take antibiotic ask for Zithromax… its a sports 3 days course and doesn't affect the Tendons/Muscles etc. like some antibiotics can... and its only 3 days so you still have a week spare..

I also think to have a sinus drip 10days is out is not too bad - can be sorted out in less than a week. Much better than starting to get sick 2 days before the race.

Edited by CobusV