• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beating me as am only on 1742kms

Also managed to fit in:

Cycling 7621km

Swimming 218km

Hope to break the 2000kms for running by the end of the year!!

I knew there was a reason you were at world champs 

Advice please for a newbie.....I started running about a year ago with two 5km runs a week. Sometimes a bit further and some weeks 3 times. Weekends are for cycling.

This past weekend I did my first 10km race and finished with a time of 1:02. I see it as a start somewhere. My question now - I want to become faster - a lot faster. My aim is to do a 10km in 50min by end of January. Will this be possible and what training must I do to achieve this?

Advice please for a newbie.....I started running about a year ago with two 5km runs a week. Sometimes a bit further and some weeks 3 times. Weekends are for cycling.

This past weekend I did my first 10km race and finished with a time of 1:02. I see it as a start somewhere. My question now - I want to become faster - a lot faster. My aim is to do a 10km in 50min by end of January. Will this be possible and what training must I do to achieve this?

I’ve found that the beat way to get faster is by intervals and shorter distance time trials. A lot of 800m sprints, 2km and 4km TT’s and you should see an improvement quickly. I think a lot of people just go out and run x amount of k’s at a steady pace. Focus on running the short stuff instead of just jogging.

Dropping a minute per km in 2 months is a big ask. @Frosty has a real good program he followed for 10km and ultimately 21

Speaking of which...@frosty when is your 21

Well all you need to do is to Accelerate

Best is to start with a 10km program, plenty available on the internet

Dropping a minute per km in 2 months is a big ask. @Frosty has a real good program he followed for 10km and ultimately 21

Speaking of which...@frosty when is your 21

11/11

I’ve found that the beat way to get faster is by intervals and shorter distance time trials. A lot of 800m sprints, 2km and 4km TT’s and you should see an improvement quickly. I think a lot of people just go out and run x amount of k’s at a steady pace. Focus on running the short stuff instead of just jogging.

This is something I'd like to start to do. Up to now, I've only ran to increase distance and time with every run. 

Do these TTs/speed sessions/etc. really carry over to increase your endurance/speed over longer distances? 

This is something I'd like to start to do. Up to now, I've only ran to increase distance and time with every run.

Do these TTs/speed sessions/etc. really carry over to increase your endurance/speed over longer distances?

Short answer yes [emoji51]

I'll tell you on Sunday after the race

Most definitely

I will be very surprise if this comrades entries makes a week.   3064 already and every time you refresh it is 50 more!

I will be very surprise if this comrades entries makes a week. 3064 already and every time you refresh it is 50 more!

Hopefully there are entries left after my qualifier..

Was so maklik, voel soos 'n lokval [emoji39]

Dit is.   Hulle vang jou elke jaar!

800 in the last half hour...

Edited by Jackes

Hopefully there are entries left after my qualifier..

Surely you don't need to have run the qualifier before you enter...? (Not that I have entered or plan to do so.)