ScottCM

broken thumb.

Have a cast up to the forearm.

It’s a stupid silly thing but the cast affects the running. The hand swells and the thumb throbs when out for a run and it is super annoying.

Plus, it’s starting to smell a bit funky.

Funky might be a bit polite ????

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A question on training, that might have been discussed here before.  What's your thoughts on going out and banging out workouts at race speed (each to his own), and building up from there, vs following a program where you do intervals in difference heart rate/pace zones and then doing slower long runs in like  zone 2?

Following one of those, I am wondering how you convert the interval training to doing a half, or marathon, in the speed you want to finish it in.

A question on training, that might have been discussed here before. What's your thoughts on going out and banging out workouts at race speed (each to his own), and building up from there, vs following a program where you do intervals in difference heart rate/pace zones and then doing slower long runs in like zone 2?

Following one of those, I am wondering how you convert the interval training to doing a half, or marathon, in the speed you want to finish it in.

When I started running I did all my runs at race/threshold pace. I gained almost no fitness past a certain point and I had every single running injury under the sun.

Since June last year I ran much more structured. 70% of my miles is in zone 2 or there about. And I'll mix that up with some tempo runs. Since then I had no injuries and all my PBs improved by quite some margin.

When I started running I did all my runs at race/threshold pace. I gained almost no fitness past a certain point and I had every single running injury under the sun.

Since June last year I ran much more structured. 70% of my miles is in zone 2 or there about. And I'll mix that up with some tempo runs. Since then I had no injuries and all my PBs improved by quite some margin.

Yeah, forgot about the injuries, you are 100% correct.  What distances do you run?

If it wasn't for injuries we would all be training at race speed every day :-)

I see it in our group. Newbie joins, wants to run with A team

Newbie injured after 3 weeks...

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

Sooooooooo, my long serving Garmin 910xt died on Friday and Garmin SA confirmed its death this morning. They are now offering me a 920xt as replacement for just under R 2 000 with a 90 day warranty.

Question is, do I go for the 920xt or a new 935 from Sportmans for R 6 699 (R 7299 - R 600 Vitality 15% device discount)???

Mind says 920xt, heart would love a new 935xt...

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Go slow most of the time. Build up and progress. It's a hard sport on the body, esp when starting out. 

And even once you've built up, go slow more days than not. A lot of my "long runs" are more time on the legs than mileage, since I spend it on trails, taking in what we see and having a jol. 

Sooooooooo, my long serving Garmin 910xt died on Friday and Garmin SA confirmed its death this morning. They are now offering me a 920xt as replacement for just under R 2 000 with a 90 day warranty.

Question is, do I go for the 920xt or a new 935 from Sportmans for R 6 699 (R 7299 - R 600 Vitality 15% device discount)???

They not offering you the option of the 935 through Garmin? 

If it wasn't for injuries we would all be training at race speed every day :-)

I see it in our group. Newbie joins, wants to run with A team

Newbie injured after 3 weeks...

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

This always annoys me, running clubs want people to join, yet when they do, noone bothers to run quietly with them and get them up to speed.

I see it in the club Ive joined, its fine for my husband because he is fast, but im in "no mans land" not as fast at the A team (or could be but them im always in the red and hanging on and made to feel useless) but to fast for the slower team. 

If I had to advise new runners,  join a big club and then there is a better chance of finding a group that get stronger and faster together. 

They not offering you the option of the 935 through Garmin?

No, I asked. They said the replace like for like and the 920 is currently the closest 'like'

No, I asked. They said the replace like for like and the 920 is currently the closest 'like'

I think that's code for 'we can't move a 920xt for love or money' 

At R2000 for the 920XT that is a bargain - does it come with the swim strap etc?

For what it is worth, you can do the fitness assessment for R425 and get another 10% off, which should be ~R730, saving you an extra 330, but costing you time and investment. Where did you get the R600 from? 15% of R7300 is ~R1100

also, thought it was worth mentioning, 920xt's still seem to sell well 2nd hand for R2000, so picking up one "new" with 90 day warranty sounds like a better venture. If the 920xt packs up in a year, mabe you get offered a 935 then at a rate still lower or near the vitality discounted 935

Edited by Dirkitech

Go slow most of the time. Build up and progress. It's a hard sport on the body, esp when starting out.

And even once you've built up, go slow more days than not. A lot of my "long runs" are more time on the legs than mileage, since I spend it on trails, taking in what we see and having a jol.

I started running much better times (for me) when I stopped chasing those sub 5min/km on my training runs. My long runs I done with an old oom at the club at his pace. This was due to me nursing an injury and I told myself the subsequent loss in pace would be fine as long as I could keep on running. Lined up for my first race after training like this for a while and boy was I pleasantly surprised. Apparently the saying of training slow racing fast does hold some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A question on training, that might have been discussed here before. What's your thoughts on going out and banging out workouts at race speed (each to his own), and building up from there, vs following a program where you do intervals in difference heart rate/pace zones and then doing slower long runs in like zone 2?

I followed a program of gradually building up speed and distance that worked much better than just trying to run at race pace.

I started off at 6:00 min/Km (running) and 8:30 min/Km (walking). The pace didn’t change much, only the interval length. Walking reduced and running increased. This was over a 14-week period, starting from a zero base, to be able to run 10km in sub-55 minutes.

I then ramped up from 10km to 21.1km by simply following the same type of training. The duration increased as the distance increased, but the same principle applied.

In that time (11 months), I never picked up any injuries, was able to race (cycling) and still be competitive.

Currently I don’t have a goal to run faster, but if I do, I will use the same program. Everything will be similar, but the pace (intervals and recovery) will be quicker.

For the record... Running further than 21.1 is not in my current or future plans, but achieving a PB is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk