ScottCM

19 minutes ago, Jehosefat said:

Based on @shaper's post earlier of a 4.75W/kg rFTP for a 37min 10k. Assuming a 4.75W/kg cycling FTP would put you as a very good to excellent amateur but not quite good enough to be a domestic pro based on Coggan's table (that you can see here: https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blog/2012/06/watts-kg-on-the-power-curve)

The big caveat here is that running and cycling FTP are not comparable so assuming both are 4.75 is a stretch.

My point is that you'd need to be above average to run 37 min. 33 min way above average. I'm sure you guys are pretty strong cyclists. Not just any okes...

I'm a novice 61 yo runner (off an 80 cycling ctl) and have trained for a half marathon in 2018 and 2019 and am training for another one this year. I found the formula t2=t1(d2/d1)×1.06 to work for me in projecting my time based on my 5 and 10k times for the half. I will report back fwiw. I still think 37 mins is very good! Based on a 33 min 10k this formula says a 1h13 half. I'm hoping for a sub 2hr (5k 25.20, 10k 53). Great thread. 

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Edgar is that the program in miles...if so, I have tried, done the conversions.

Will be honest lacking commitment!!!

This morning, I ended up walking, was just "easier".

It is in miles, easy to convert though.

The program is relatively easy and not that time consuming. Walking is easier, it just will not get you the sub 3. 

On 7/21/2022 at 3:52 PM, Edgar said:

I will put it out there, nobody with a 37 min 10K pb is getting close to a 2:33 marathon.  Off that they would be lucky to do 2:45. 

Based off experience you would need to have a 10k PB between 32:30 - 34:00. Stryd is selling you the dream

Agreed

37min 10k is not the same as 2h33 marathon. 

On 7/21/2022 at 3:52 PM, Edgar said:

I will put it out there, nobody with a 37 min 10K pb is getting close to a 2:33 marathon.  Off that they would be lucky to do 2:45. 

Based off experience you would need to have a 10k PB between 32:30 - 34:00. Stryd is selling you the dream

Agree, I have clocked 37mins for 10km, but the idea of a sub three marathon makes me wince a little. Sub 20 hour 100 miler seems easier.

Aiming to go under 35 for 10km in the next few months and then roll up through the distances from there.

I have come to accept that I just cannot commit to fast 10k's, or a marathon or even a half marathon right now.

But, I did start the Ivy Lifd C25k treadmill plan.

Just finished week 3.

First 2.5weeks were done on the treadmill, but now I am back on the pavement!

It's nice because it's realistic. It doesn't take a lot of time. It doesn't interfere with my strength training and cycling.

And you can adapt it.

I'm trying to apply training principles such as sprints, tempo runs and long runs, so that not every session is all-out.

I'm finally consistently getting my pace below 6min/km.

And every run feels great. That's the big thing. I WANT to go and do my run now.

Maybe not for the elites here, but useful for someone coming back from injury/sickness, or lacking motivation, or starting out.

https://ivylife.ivytech.edu/event/6200831

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to get back into fitness and decided to take up jogging.

I would like to join the parkruns at Meerendal on Saturdays.

At the moment I am limited to only my motorcycle for transport. Does anyone know if there is perhaps a safe place where one can store your kit?

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as the UTMB is also on this weekend, I have a couple of questions about their entry procedure. So they changed their Entry system from points to running stones. So does that mean the trail runners in SA wont be able to qualify anymore for the UTMB in any of our 100 miler or 100k races, we only got qualifier events? The reason I ask, is I read on their website only UTMB World series events and majors gave out stones.

25 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Seeing as the UTMB is also on this weekend, I have a couple of questions about their entry procedure. So they changed their Entry system from points to running stones. So does that mean the trail runners in SA wont be able to qualify anymore for the UTMB in any of our 100 miler or 100k races, we only got qualifier events? The reason I ask, is I read on their website only UTMB World series events and majors gave out stones.

Our races seem to be on the list?

https://utmb.world/index-races?__hstc=207442892.7ad6abbb4f7c82ff9b9105172633253f.1661416790912.1661416790912.1661416790912.1&__hssc=207442892.2.1661416790912&__hsfp=2433965902

They have partnered with Iron Man and created a 'world series' with the finals being UTMB.

It looks as though our events give you enough stones to enter the lottery/entry system.

Edited by Jewbacca

I was thinking the same thing, we got plenty races to qualify and get stones to enter the lottery. But UTCT emailed me this when I asked about it?

"UTCT doesn’t award stones for UTMB as we are an independent race. Stones are only awarded to raced owned by UTMB"

So now it got me confused about their qualifying criteria? 

Seems a bit weird to me.

Any race that has qualifying events just turns into a money making scheme for someone.

But onto important things- do you think Walmsley can break the American curse at UTMB? Got to give him respect for the commitment, moving to France to train for the race for the year. He has only done 3500km this year

Walmsley looks good, I really hope he takes it. But Kilian is a beast on those Mountains. 

26 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I was thinking the same thing, we got plenty races to qualify and get stones to enter the lottery. But UTCT emailed me this when I asked about it?

"UTCT doesn’t award stones for UTMB as we are an independent race. Stones are only awarded to raced owned by UTMB"

So now it got me confused about their qualifying criteria? 

Seems a bit weird to me.

Ah.... Oh well.

Iron Man was trying to push for 'The Epic series' a while ago with the Cape Epic being the pinnacle.

I guess they have that with Kona as well, so it makes sense they would incorporate their system into the mix now that they are race partners.

UTMB has never held much allure for me weirdly. It's too 'red carpet'. I feel much the same about UTCT. 

Lots of RaRa. 

They would have been a good fit with the Iron Man group

Just Happy Comrades stayed almost exactly the same as it was 95 years ago.

Except for the new August date off course. Wonder if they will stick with it. Read a lot of comments, that people don't like the new date.🤷‍♀️

Comrades has just had their qualifying events tied down for many years and in a formal structure. Like I said, qualifying events are purely money making rackets, and comrades is also guilty. because a 7 hour marathon at Ironman is apparently good enough when a 20 hour 100Miler isn't...

I think a lot of the date comments for comrades are just people battling with change and having to train the whole way through winter other than hibernating the 2nd half of winter.

@Jewbacca we know you would only go to UTMB for the PTL event anyway