ScottCM

1 minute ago, IceCreamMan said:

Beggars belief that someone would do that. Comrades is tough enough as it is. If you BS the system you shaft yourself. 

crazy world. 

Agreed, the sad part is I suspect the 25 people caught is probably just the tip of the iceberg

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Beggars belief that someone would do that. Comrades is tough enough as it is. If you BS the system you shaft yourself. 

crazy world. 

Yip, you only bull**** yourself .... 😒

15 minutes ago, Craai said:

Agreed, the sad part is I suspect the 25 people caught is probably just the tip of the iceberg

Absolutely... There's prob 100's more.

come now, I said it a few weeks back when someone in Comrades association declared the 2022 race drug free after a tiny amount of tests. There is no way there were not back markers chucking down illegal substances for pain, or to get them through ahead of cutoff. I have seen guys doping for 5km park runs. Hell there is so much marijuana abuse in ultra trail I am sure it is likely spilling into the back markers here.

8 minutes ago, dave303e said:

come now, I said it a few weeks back when someone in Comrades association declared the 2022 race drug free after a tiny amount of tests. There is no way there were not back markers chucking down illegal substances for pain, or to get them through ahead of cutoff. I have seen guys doping for 5km park runs. Hell there is so much marijuana abuse in ultra trail I am sure it is likely spilling into the back markers here.

I say to a LOT of people who don't believe me, if you've chucked down Myprodol and competed in a sanctioned event, you've opened the door to being caught using a banned substance.

Dudes also smash little nose sniftys at ultra trails and AR. Sllep monsters? nah..... just some gurning

28 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I say to a LOT of people who don't believe me, if you've chucked down Myprodol and competed in a sanctioned event, you've opened the door to being caught using a banned substance.

Dudes also smash little nose sniftys at ultra trails and AR. Sllep monsters? nah..... just some gurning

I had this discussion with someone high up in the AR organisation. I said call it world champs but more than half the field will be banned if tested.

https://www.outsideonline.com/health/running/training-advice/science/runners-high-can-cannabis-help-runners/

https://www.triathlete.com/training/the-endurance-athletes-guide-to-training-with-cannabis/

10 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I had this discussion with someone high up in the AR organisation. I said call it world champs but more than half the field will be banned if tested.

https://www.outsideonline.com/health/running/training-advice/science/runners-high-can-cannabis-help-runners/

https://www.triathlete.com/training/the-endurance-athletes-guide-to-training-with-cannabis/

Cannabis might help you with running better (or maybe not), what it certainly will help for is to develop schizophrenia if you use a lot long term ....

Is that really worth your mental health ... 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Cannabis might help you with running better (or maybe not), what it certainly will help for is to develop schizophrenia if you use a lot long term ....

Is that really worth your mental health ... 🤷‍♂️

I am not one to be testing this, heck I have been drug tested just for 'safety purposes' at our offices in JHB, not worth the risk for me.

But you can bet in the thousands of runners toeing the line Sunday there will be a few dipping into the medicine cabinet or herbal remedies to make the distance.

21 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I have had my bags searched at AR world champs pre race checking for Codeine pain pills and handing out a list of common medicine on the banned list. 

So they do cover that.

Backmarkers in a massive race though? I've seen it all. 

As someone who does not like pain meds at all, I get weirded out by the reliance some people have on weed/myprodol do just get out the house

3 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

crazy world. 

I agree.

I would allow the cheaters to run. If they do finish (which I highly doubt), I won't give them a medal and name and shame them afterward.

26 minutes ago, Hacc said:

I agree.

I would allow the cheaters to run. If they do finish (which I highly doubt), I won't give them a medal and name and shame them afterward.

Great idea 

52 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I have had my bags searched at AR world champs pre race checking for Codeine pain pills and handing out a list of common medicine on the banned list. 

So they do cover that.

Backmarkers in a massive race though? I've seen it all. 

As someone who does not like pain meds at all, I get weirded out by the reliance some people have on weed/myprodol do just get out the house

I haven't seen much drug taking in AR, maybe I'm not fast enough.

(Does red bull count?) I have seen people treat myprodol as smarties though. Last time I checked it is not banned,

image.png.cb851d2d816b4716133b3d488a0b6b7d.png

edit: a decade plus ago I bought a set of tents from Cape Epic when they were clearing out the old ones for new sponsor logos. in one of them i found a whole bunch of ziplocks with pills marked A, B, C ,D etc. wonder how legal those were!

Edited by Shebeen

45 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I haven't seen much drug taking in AR, maybe I'm not fast enough.

(Does red bull count?) I have seen people treat myprodol as smarties though. Last time I checked it is not banned,

image.png.cb851d2d816b4716133b3d488a0b6b7d.png

edit: a decade plus ago I bought a set of tents from Cape Epic when they were clearing out the old ones for new sponsor logos. in one of them i found a whole bunch of ziplocks with pills marked A, B, C ,D etc. wonder how legal those were!

I see the codeine was changed in 2019 to incorporate a codeine/morphine ratio legality.

People definitely have small vials of coke/speed on expedition races and long through the night stuff. Loads of ultra runners have been bust with a little bit of snifty in the past

On all the damn radio stations they are playing "Chariots of Fire". Big fomo....🙄.

Anybody been to the expo?

Anybody got the 2023 down route file to load onto garmin watch for peacemaking?