ScottCM

The ASICS trabuco 'insert latest iteration' will suit any and all trail running situations.

I have used them to run very fast, technical mountain trails in training and I have raced them from 15km to 200 milers 

I am a mid food lander with a toe kick 

The uppers have been known to disintegrate on occasion, but ASICS SA are good with warranty claims. 

The sole is incredibly durable, the lacing is top notch and the foam/protection is brilliant.

I was eyeing out a pair of Saucony Peregrine 13s at the Sportsmans Warehouse yellow ticket sale today. They look the business as well but I have no actual experience.

The Gel Trabuco 9, 10, 11 and MAX have been to war with me. 100, 200 milers, Expedition Races, Solo speedpacking for 200km in the cederberg, various 13 peaks etc.... 100% do recommend 

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks will head to sportsmans tomorrow and se eif there is anything left in my size but there is also an asics factory outlet near me which will definately have a pair of trabuco's

12 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

The ASICS trabuco 'insert latest iteration' will suit any and all trail running situations.

I have used them to run very fast, technical mountain trails in training and I have raced them from 15km to 200 milers 

I am a mid food lander with a toe kick 

The uppers have been known to disintegrate on occasion, but ASICS SA are good with warranty claims. 

The sole is incredibly durable, the lacing is top notch and the foam/protection is brilliant.

I was eyeing out a pair of Saucony Peregrine 13s at the Sportsmans Warehouse yellow ticket sale today. They look the business as well but I have no actual experience.

The Gel Trabuco 9, 10, 11 and MAX have been to war with me. 100, 200 milers, Expedition Races, Solo speedpacking for 200km in the cederberg, various 13 peaks etc.... 100% do recommend 

shoes are super personal, just like saddles. what works for X might be a disaster for Y.

used to be an Asics guy. had a pair of trabuccos that were great, but the sole didn't last as long as i expected - (and the laces broke too actually). Gave it another shot and it was even worse, so that was it for me. Maybe I got two pairs of friday shoes, but according to strava I only got about 800km out of these two pairs (don't really know how accurate my logging is).

I wanted to give adidas terrex a try, the continental grip was the motivation there. was super happy with my AX4 so got a second pair. did a lot of kms on them last year.

disclaimer: I'm a super cheapskate. before the asics (that i got from the factory shop) I was on hi tecs. my road shoes are mr price maxed. Like @dave303e I am also giving AR a bit of a backseat this year and have entered for that 90km road run in KZN coming up in june. I might well be on asics again.

I ran in salomon for many years. I still have a pair now. I had a short stint in Hoka speedboats and they were good as well but didn't last off trail running. The last few years I have been rotating between Nike Pegasus trail and Adidas terex speed ultra 240's. Pegasus trail is what killed salomon for me. I bought brand new salomons and them at the same time and comfort and grip wise I just never went for the salomons again. The Pegasus is my day to day training shoe. They last really well as well. The adidas terex are good fast race shoes and also really sturdy considering how light they are. You can often pick up Adidas on sale as well. 

Happy shoe hunting. There is nothing I love more!!

Asics Trabuco Max 2 - great reviews, great midsole, AsicsGrip is fantastic. Very high midsole stack height and from my experience not the most stable on technical terrain.

Hoka Speedgoat 5 - my road to trail shoe. Pretty uninspiring to be honest.

Merrell Long Sky 2 - low stack height, fast shoes with 5mm Vibram Megagrip outsole. Love them for shorter runs. Excellent ground feel.

Nnormal Tomir - my “go-to” trail shoe. Very comfortable, they look to be extremely durable, the best outsole grip of any shoe I have used. Firm midsole but responsive with good ground feel(no rock plate). Expensive but I think they will outlast my feet!

Don’t discount the Merrell Agility Peak 5s on your search. Very underrated shoe brand.

Cheers

I use the Trabuco 10 for trail. Works very well for me. On road I'm in Pegasus, they compare really well for me. 

WSportsmans Warehouse had the Trabuco 11 on sale and with additional vitality discount got them for R1300. They feel really solid just unsure on it hat size and how much space there should be in a trail shoe but took similar size to my long run shoes so wil see how it works 

On 1/3/2024 at 9:23 AM, ScottCM said:

Happy new year all.

What are your running goals for the year?

How many are do Comrades, Oceans, UTCT, etc?

What are your goals?

Asking for a friend .... 😋

Friend is doing the 50km Versus challenge ....  halfway, and now suffering with shins ....

Any advise ??

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Friend is doing the 50km Versus challenge ....  halfway, and now suffering with shins ....

Any advise ??

Tell him to to relax. And rest. A pair of socks is not worth the hassle of shin splints.

2 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Tell him to to relax. And rest. A pair of socks is not worth the hassle of shin splints.

No magic potion .... 🙊

Jokes aside .... TransAct ?  Anything else worth trying ?

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

No magic potion .... 🙊

Jokes aside .... TransAct ?  Anything else worth trying ?

Nope.... rest, ice to reduce inflamation, then specific physio exercises for shin splints... depending how bad, could be 4-6 weeks for a full recovery.... and tell him in future to slow down his pace if not use to doing such mileage over consecutive days.

Yeah I bought a cheap dustin at game and iced my legs after every run. Combination of foam rolling, exercise and stretching with the ice help reduced the inflation but its also critical to get the right shoes and ensure you don't overtrain which is like 90% of the cause usually 

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Any advise ??

If your friend has issues from running 25km in a week then it's better to build up slowly. 

Definitely not worth a pair of socks. 

Took my Asics trabuco 11 for a 10km spin at Wolwespruit today and super impressed Grip and stability is great felt way more confident going downhill. I think I might have gona 1/2 size to big but I assume bigger is better than smaller so me left foot was sliding a but but nothing major. Going to try fix with thicker socks and maybe different lace techniques. Any recomendations for good thick running socks? Currently using falke which is already on the thicker side.

First impressions of the shoe is 9/10 but will have to run it in to give a full review.