ScottCM

4 hours ago, Vallende Vaandel said:

After suffering through 30mins of ads - so glad we don't watch dstv anymore - I had to wait for the presenters to sign off to make sure I hadn't missed the actual story... the coverage felt like an afterthought to pacify the running community. Where was the prompting and questioning we came to expect from Cart Blanche? The 'water under the bridge' comment was taken as a legit explanation, and the full extend of the blunders made still left as swept under the carpet. Lat night's coverage was just as anti climatic as the last minutes of the comrades itself

Worth watching at all on repeat?

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Worth watching at all on repeat?

I think it's always wise to get the direct info 🙂 The debacle was discussed right at the end, no longer than 10 / 15 min

• 3 weeks later...

My Last Rodeo (Marathon)

Bezenol Marathon HillCrest Villagers Club

1995 Before Internet 😁

The Vacuum Cleaner is Older, And Still Works. 🙉

bezanol1.jpg

bezanol2.jpg

Edited by dasilvarsa

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

C4A126C8-0AD6-45AE-B781-D38F81C09087.jpeg

I'd have agreed 10 years ago.... Now trail running is just as stuck up and pretentious as anything.

All the kit, all the advice, all the excuses with very little to back it up.

I was lectured the other day by someone I didn't know on how to train for an ultra and what I was doing was obviously wrong. 'Have you even run an ultra?' I was asked scornfully 

Adventure Racing is where the real vibe is. Where it's always been

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I'd have agreed 10 years ago.... Now trail running is just as stuck up and pretentious as anything.

All the kit, all the advice, all the excuses with very little to back it up.

I was lectured the other day by someone I didn't know on how to train for an ultra and what I was doing was obviously wrong. 'Have you even run an ultra?' I was asked scornfully 

Adventure Racing is where the real vibe is. Where it's always been

Shhhh we don't need golfers in AR, there will be too many deaths.

But I do agree about the trail running going down the wrong path. More scarily for me is the hiking element. I was up on the magalliesberg 'trail running' and the number of hikers was incredible. Good to see so many out there but boy oh boy am I glad I am not part of search and rescue. There were 3 or 4 groups where I thought were ticking time bombs for getting themselves into trouble.

12 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Shhhh we don't need golfers in AR, there will be too many deaths.

But I do agree about the trail running going down the wrong path. More scarily for me is the hiking element. I was up on the magalliesberg 'trail running' and the number of hikers was incredible. Good to see so many out there but boy oh boy am I glad I am not part of search and rescue. There were 3 or 4 groups where I thought were ticking time bombs for getting themselves into trouble.

Western Cape Search and Rescue/MR has already conducted more rescues this year than any other and it's only the start of August. 

I'm not judging them, but people do arrive wholly unprepared and ill equipped. Yes, you can 'see' civilization, but it's a long way to the tar road if you're dehydrated, hypothermic, hypoglycemic or a combination of all of the above with a twisted/sprained/broken leg element.

But ja, the trail running scene is just that unfortunately, a scene. It's name dropping, influencing selfies and 'sponsored athletes' who can't actually string together 50km but have killer socials.

Yoh I'm old and grumpy. 😝

24 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Western Cape Search and Rescue/MR has already conducted more rescues this year than any other and it's only the start of August. 

I'm not judging them, but people do arrive wholly unprepared and ill equipped. Yes, you can 'see' civilization, but it's a long way to the tar road if you're dehydrated, hypothermic, hypoglycemic or a combination of all of the above with a twisted/sprained/broken leg element.

But ja, the trail running scene is just that unfortunately, a scene. It's name dropping, influencing selfies and 'sponsored athletes' who can't actually string together 50km but have killer socials.

I was actually judging the venues the other day. hey should be advising people to stay on certain trails depending on how prepared they are. Or have a suggested kit list and Search and rescue numbers openly available. But ya it is good to see people getting out there at least.

I have to agree with you on the trail running scene, and the sponsored athletes who pick and choose runs based on the field size so they always seem to win even though they beat no one... I must also be old and grumpy(likely just grumpy)

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I know growing old is mandatory, but does that apply to the grumpiness too? 

Maybe I just have a lekker bunch of mates, but I don't experience the  trial scene  like that. I love the time I spend in the mountains, even the one/two races I do a year. 

For the record, I can't string together 50km either. 

1 hour ago, PhilipV said:

I know growing old is mandatory, but does that apply to the grumpiness too? 

Maybe I just have a lekker bunch of mates, but I don't experience the  trial scene  like that. I love the time I spend in the mountains, even the one/two races I do a year. 

For the record, I can't string together 50km either. 

I thought you meant the race/group scene.

I love trail running. I still do it most days. I just don't go near many races or groups but occasionally run into people I know in their 'squads'.

But I find riding/running the same. I love the dudes I ride with, just like I love the people I choose to run with. But neither of those groups represent the 'it' crowd of either

You still need to invite me for a run!

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I thought you meant the race/group scene.

I love trail running. I still do it most days. I just don't go near many races or groups but occasionally run into people I know in their 'squads'.

But I find riding/running the same. I love the dudes I ride with, just like I love the people I choose to run with. But neither of those groups represent the 'it' crowd of either

You still need to invite me for a run!

10 years back I liked the race scene. Now I just like to run. And ride my bike.

Actually, I really enjoy the Helderberg Trail Running Crew group runs. But they don't take themselves very seriously, that helps. And they are very welcoming to newbies. I think that is half of why we see so little women on mountain bikes, the crowd is rather intimidating and exclusive. 

I should probably be less anti-social...  He says before he disappears off into the Karoo for a long weekend . 

Edited by PhilipV

• 2 weeks later...

Toying with the idea of attempting comrades in 2024. A quick question for the more knowledgeable than I. For the qualification martthon, is there a list of sanctioned marathons where one can qualify or is any timed organised marathon accepted? ( for international runners) 

31 minutes ago, IceCreamMan said:

Toying with the idea of attempting comrades in 2024. A quick question for the more knowledgeable than I. For the qualification martthon, is there a list of sanctioned marathons where one can qualify or is any timed organised marathon accepted? ( for international runners) 

Coach parry gives a nice breakdown, but unfortunately nothing on international runners:

https://blog.coachparry.com/comrades-marathon-qualifying/

Why don't you just pop over for a quick check-in and race a qualifier. ;) Pound Stirling is still strong enough...

1 minute ago, IceCreamMan said:

Not a terrible idea but leave is the issue. 

I've got a colleague who is being "forced" to take leave by HR because he has accumulated too many days. He has 30 in the bank! I'll never get there!