ScottCM

15 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

What is the fit like on these? I have been a UK 10 my whole life in every brand I have tried but unfortunately, the last pair of shoes I ordered online, from a brand I have had a few fairs from, feel a little snug.

Slightly narrower toe box than the previous version but seems pretty true fit in my opinion.

• Replies 17.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/4/2024 at 8:13 PM, Vetplant said:

Friend of mine ran a 3h06 at N4 Trac Elands marathon. 

How do I break it to him that his efforts are in vain as it isn't recognised as a Comrades qualifying race :(

That's news to me. I know some people who used it for qualifying I'm not sure they are aware. Others used it to qualify for Two Oceans, which was a last chance this weekend.

What is your source, I can't find anything on that. 

18 minutes ago, Chumi said:

That's news to me. I know some people who used it for qualifying I'm not sure they are aware. Others used it to qualify for Two Oceans, which was a last chance this weekend.

What is your source, I can't find anything on that. 

Other Friend of mine at work(Who has completed multiple IMSA's) mentioned that it fails on two criteria:

-Doesn't meet the minimum elevation gain requirement

-Start/Finish is not with the required distance from each other(Something like 400m maximum). This specifically put in place to prevent a point-to-point marathon.

I tried to verify by looking at whatever source I can find listing "Comrades Qualifying Races" and the race is not listed on a single one of those websites...

Thus my concern

Edited by Vetplant

8 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Other Friend of mine at work(Who has completed multiple IMSA's) mentioned that it fails on two criteria:

-Start/Finish is not with the required distance from each other(Something like 400m maximum). This specifically put in place to prevent a point-to-point marathon.

I tried to verify by looking at whatever source I can find listing "Comrades Qualifying Races" and the race is not listed on a single one of those websites...

Thus my concern

I think those criteria are for world records, kaapsehoop also fails to meet the criteria as well but is a qualifier. 

10 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Thus my concern

Given this post by the race, it'd be concerning (false advertising even) if it were not a qualifier

image.png.d1645575d419690d73e8ec9aa84f8c9f.png

3 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Given this post by the race, it'd be concerning (false advertising even) if it were not a qualifier

image.png.d1645575d419690d73e8ec9aa84f8c9f.png

If I was their legal eagle, I would argue that they don't claim it to be a qualifier anywhere in that post. Very cleverly worded...

17 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Thus my concern

well it is allowed on the Two oceans  and comradesimage.png.e63ca5fa5d71a65ff67dcb187009a6c2.png

image.png.db2dbc4ea1b7e0eff5ef506569d499a3.png

The peninsula marathon start/finish is about 42km apart, so that 

Edited by Shebeen

2 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

If I was their legal eagle, I would argue that they don't claim it to be a qualifier anywhere in that post. Very cleverly worded...

image.png.66ef1a2e7cc2e2482f138531f547c2cd.png

Just now, MongooseMan said:

image.png.66ef1a2e7cc2e2482f138531f547c2cd.png

My bad... I might need glasses.

Trending towards being fake news then the non-qualifier question. Thanks for the inputs gents.

On 3/5/2024 at 6:55 AM, tjommies3 said:

Thank you for this

For now, I can't even think about silver. I need to finish 30km+ without feeling like I'm gonna walk soon. I will train, and I will get to the point that I need to be at, i.e. pain free. I will then check my schedule in terms of when I could possibly do Comrades, but one and done is all that I am interested in. I have done it before with Oceans in 2018, so I know that it's possible. It will just take a lot more work. The work won't include the test run at Comrades though. I know that I can finish it, so I don't really need that proof.

Thanks once more

I suppose we have different goals for Comrades. If you've only comitted for the entry and can get that subbed out, then why not? It will always be there next year.

Personally I just want to be a part of it, finish and only then concerned with the time/medal.

Really not sure if I will do a second one, not even thinking about that now.

It would be different for me if I was regularly doing marathons/ultras and then added this onto that sort of schedule. The last marathon I did was in 2011 (when i was early 30s), and I've only now joined an actual running club. It is almost like everything is new, I am seriously wondering if I will ever get some sort of speed back. Despite doing more actual road running than ever, I don't appear to be going quicker week by week. Realise that's not the actual goal but feel like it should be happening (should actually go look at strava to work it out first with figures).

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I suppose we have different goals for Comrades. If you've only comitted for the entry and can get that subbed out, then why not? It will always be there next year.

Personally I just want to be a part of it, finish and only then concerned with the time/medal.

Really not sure if I will do a second one, not even thinking about that now.

It would be different for me if I was regularly doing marathons/ultras and then added this onto that sort of schedule. The last marathon I did was in 2011 (when i was early 30s), and I've only now joined an actual running club. It is almost like everything is new, I am seriously wondering if I will ever get some sort of speed back. Despite doing more actual road running than ever, I don't appear to be going quicker week by week. Realise that's not the actual goal but feel like it should be happening (should actually go look at strava to work it out first with figures).

1: I am glad one of us has still got the 1 and done mindset. I have lined up a faster qualifying with a 4 month build to target a better qualifying for next year's race. This is evidently a masochists wet dream event.

2: How much speed work have you been doing? My garmin race predictor and average pace is dropping week by week this year.

7 minutes ago, dave303e said:

1: I am glad one of us has still got the 1 and done mindset. I have lined up a faster qualifying with a 4 month build to target a better qualifying for next year's race. This is evidently a masochists wet dream event.

2: How much speed work have you been doing? My garmin race predictor and average pace is dropping week by week this year.

Did one and done last year, finished with a Bill Rowan medal

18 minutes ago, shaper said:

Did one and done last year, finished with a Bill Rowan medal

You have better self control than me. I have not even finished the qualifier yet and I have a list of things to do better next time. 

54 minutes ago, dave303e said:

no plans for 2025 just yet...

54 minutes ago, dave303e said:

not much. I am aware of that being necessary and did make use of the school track when it was marked up for two sessions where I pushed myself towards puking. I should probably do that again before moaning.

but I'm talking about running for 10-15km over the same sort of routes. my average speed is not really dropping (anecdotally!) 

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

You have better self control than me. I have not even finished the qualifier yet and I have a list of things to do better next time. 

9 marathons, 6 ultra's, 1 Comrades, 2 Ironman, sorted with the training and what not to do, so on to the next for me, The 6 Major marathons, starting with Chicago in October.

1 minute ago, shaper said:

9 marathons, 6 ultra's, 1 Comrades, 2 Ironman, sorted with the training and what not to do, so on to the next for me, The 6 Major marathons, starting with Chicago in October.

fair enough, that is a solid challenge