ScottCM

1 hour ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Hi everyone,

I’m starting this thing called running. I don't enjoy it but trying to convince my body that I actually do. 

I'm running the Dornier Autumn Trail Run 10km this weekend.

has anyone done it before and would you mind sharing the GPX file?

Welcome to the not so dark side 😎

Best of luck for the event, please post a race report afterwards. 

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Hi everyone,

I’m starting this thing called running. I don't enjoy it but trying to convince my body that I actually do. 

I tell all reasonably fit cyclists who haven't run since they were young...... Start small.

Seriously. You will injure yourself if you start expecting your cycling muscles to carry you for extended periods at a jog.

Even 5km is too long when you're first starting.

But ja, good luck.

Running is the source, hope you stick with it.........

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I tell all reasonably fit cyclists who haven't run since they were young...... Start small.

Seriously. You will injure yourself if you start expecting your cycling muscles to carry you for extended periods at a jog.

But ja, good luck.

Yep, can't emphasise enough that a cyclist needs to tread extra careful when transitioning into running. 

A "normal" unfit person will start slow enough to prevent injury because the cardiovascular system will keep the intensity and duration low enough for joints and other parts to build resilience.

BUT, for a seasoned cyclist, that 'throttle' isn't there.

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

But ja, good luck.

Shot thank you, I have started slow and can do a 8km easily now. Buuuuut it's shocking how inefficient my body is at running vs cycling. Haven't found that zone 2 running pace yet...

10 hours ago, PappaWatTrap said:

Shot thank you, I have started slow and can do a 8km easily now. Buuuuut it's shocking how inefficient my body is at running vs cycling. Haven't found that zone 2 running pace yet...

Use the talk test.  If you can talk normally or have a conversation whilst running then you will be in Zone 2, as soon as the talking becomes laboured or short sentences then you have moved out of Zone 2 and can dial back the pace until you are able to have a conversation again.  You will be around 4/10 effort.

https://www.healthhp.com.au/post/the-talk-test-for-running-zones

Can anyone recommend a good running club close to Lonehill in Jhb?

I used to run a fair bit, but mostly because triathlon forced me to. Got an itch to run again and think joining a club might be the nudge that I need to get going and stay consistent

10 minutes ago, Rich Stan said:

Can anyone recommend a good running club close to Lonehill in Jhb?

I used to run a fair bit, but mostly because triathlon forced me to. Got an itch to run again and think joining a club might be the nudge that I need to get going and stay consistent

Fourways Road Runners or Sunninghill Striders

On 5/2/2024 at 5:39 PM, ScottCM said:

Welcome to the not so dark side 😎

Best of luck for the event, please post a race report afterwards. 

Enjoyed the race. 10.5km loop at Dornier in Stellenbosch. Perfect weather. 

The first 4.5km about is uphill then the rest was a combination of fire roads and single track down. 

I ran with friend and just kept it in my threshold heart rate zone. At the 7km mark I asked my friend if I could go ahead and push the last 3.5km

Apparently I hit 200bpm in those last 3.5kms, it was probably closer to 195bpm. 

Ended the race feeling smashed but accomplished with an average pace of 5:40min/km over 10.5 km and 230m elevation. 

Not even close to the podium runners but now a I want more of these type of races

Edited by PappaWatTrap

On 5/1/2024 at 12:06 PM, Shebeen said:

Having the official cut off at 8 hours does widen the fitness filter. I wonder if they would open it up to multiple days or even course? 

I highly doubt they could make a multi day event. Too many complex logistics and the city won’t be too happy closing the roads for more than one day.

Forgot to add regarding London. Quite a few restaurant chains and other chains offer free goodies to runners. Runnersworld had a list of them. Some offer for the day of the race but a few for a few days. After the run got a free burger and fries. Free pizza at a different restaurant the same night. Nice little bonus. And you just show your medal. 

On 5/2/2024 at 4:06 PM, PappaWatTrap said:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for smiling.

My bio got me into the park run, NO park walk, thing ....

Know the feeling

On a search for better shoes .... using 4E, ie extra wide, shoes limits my options.

15 hours ago, ChrisF said:

snip

On a search for better shoes .... using 4E, ie extra wide, shoes limits my options.

Have you tried Hoka speedgoat? I run with Asics 4E road shoes but standard Hoka for the other stuffs

Edited by ScottCM

19 hours ago, Vetplant said:

Credit to Francois Jordaan and team for the honest and detailed write-up of what transpired.
(Other race organisers should take note of how to respond when the paw-paw hits the fan)

I'll do the Wally again.

Stark contrast to the Two Oceans Marathon. Been following some of it on Running Man. 

Edited by Danger Dassie