ScottCM

I have never ever run the Comrades with Gels or GU's. But I told my wife I will have to start practising it if I want to improve. Because my blood sugar dropped that last 5 km a lot. Lost lots of time there.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never ever run the Comrades with Gels or GU's. But I told my wife I will have to start practising it if I want to improve. Because my blood sugar dropped that last 5 km a lot. Lost lots of time there.

I took 2 gu's and 2 vooma's, 3 rehydrate's, 1 Bovril sandwich, 1 super m.... And a partridge in a pear tree!

Only drank coke from about 25 to go every now and then

Normal marathon I take 1 gu

I took 2 gu's and 2 vooma's, 3 rehydrate's, 1 Bovril sandwich, 1 super m.... And a partridge in a pear tree!

Only drank coke from about 25 to go every now and then

Normal marathon I take 1 gu

I just used Coke, Energade, banana and potato... :w00t:

I have never ever run the Comrades with Gels or GU's. But I told my wife I will have to start practising it if I want to improve. Because my blood sugar dropped that last 5 km a lot. Lost lots of time there.

Before you start down the road of gu's, go have a full blood test done just to check.

I use do running and cycling on gu's,.... because it was the thing to do and replace glycogen stores etc..... generally felt ok doing so

Anyway I happened to have a blood test done for something else where it came back that in fact my body could not process the sugar from the gels, my body had excess sugar and gels/carb drinks etc were just spiking me to the point I was becoming pre-diabetic.

I now run half and full marathons on water alone and may supplement with a protein bar as my body needs protein rather than sugar.

Ironman this year, I did on solid food and water.  Only on the bike leg did I have a car/protein mix drink.  The run leg was just water and a few peanuts.

EDIT: Durbs 70.3 on Sunday am looking forward to enjoying a chilled day out :)

Edited by shaper

I took 6 Gu's... used 2. Handed most of them out to the broken and abandoned towards the end though. Rehidrat's my bloody hero... took 6 and used them all. Magic stuff. The potatoes, bananas, oranges etc though on the route are plentiful, definitely over-catered myself. Just needed a food bar of sorts for the first 3rd and half the number Gu's and I would have been golden.

Before you start down the road of gu's, go have a full blood test done just to check.

I use do running and cycling on gu's,.... because it was the thing to do and replace glycogen stores etc..... generally felt ok doing so

Anyway I happened to have a blood test done for something else where it came back that in fact my body could not process the sugar from the gels, my body had excess sugar and gels/carb drinks etc were just spiking me to the point I was becoming pre-diabetic.

I now run half and full marathons on water alone and may supplement with a protein bar as my body needs protein rather than sugar.

Ironman this year, I did on solid food and water.  Only on the bike leg did I have a car/protein mix drink.  The run leg was just water and a few peanuts.

Is this a normal blood test or specific to test for dietary restrictions

Is this a normal blood test or specific to test for dietary restrictions

Mine was a normal blood test as I was having high cholesterol results at the time

listen to this gents. excellent listen..had a little lump in my throat they way they were describing our race. even more interesting is listening to steve way breaking down his run..incredible stuff

https://marathontalk.com/

episode 387: steve way

Will check it out tonight

Very interesting. Are you on the Banting diet?

From what I understand those on the Banting diet are able to do ultras etc on water, the occasional rehidrat and nuts and biltong etc without issue?

Personally I believe that gels are generally not great and some folk take far too many gels.

My Comrades included a few rehidrates, water, one or two jelly babies and one farbar and fastbar. A handful of biltong and a few cokes in the last 30kms. Zero energade was consumed. I did take a potato out of a bowl but it was horribly slimy so that was the end of potatoes fo the day : )

Comrades has always been on my bucketlist.

I have been running on and off the last year due to a back injury (bike crash).

My question is how many months of constant running do you need before you can start a comrades program?

What would my first time target be over a 5km to be able to finish comrades?

Currently im folowing a 5 km program of 10 weeks.

Very interesting. Are you on the Banting diet?

From what I understand those on the Banting diet are able to do ultras etc on water, the occasional rehidrat and nuts and biltong etc without issue?

Personally I believe that gels are generally not great and some folk take far too many gels.

My Comrades included a few rehidrates, water, one or two jelly babies and one farbar and fastbar. A handful of biltong and a few cokes in the last 30kms. Zero energade was consumed. I did take a potato out of a bowl but it was horribly slimy so that was the end of potatoes fo the day : )

No I am on a low carb high protien diet rather than high fat. It does become a ketosis type diet where you burn fat stores rather than glycogen stores. It can be good for ultras where you are generally expending energy at endurance and tempo levels... not so good when you need VO2MAX as in surges and attacks in cycle races. Is not to say I don't take carbs, I just limit and control it as i need to replace glycogen and I especially avoid the spikes that gels give

Comrades has always been on my bucketlist.

I have been running on and off the last year due to a back injury (bike crash).

My question is how many months of constant running do you need before you can start a comrades program?

What would my first time target be over a 5km to be able to finish comrades?

Currently im folowing a 5 km program of 10 weeks.

Disclaimer: I have never run a comrades.

That said, a few pages back there was a debate going on about whether the sub 5 hour qualification of a marathon for Comrades was strict enough. That's a minimum entry point. To get to that minimum entry you will need to run a marathon in that time. Using RunnersWorld race predictor I put in some times and training distance to get a race prediction for sub 5.

If you can run a 5K in 30 minutes, you will need to have a training plan that has 50k per week in the build up to your marathon to get a race prediction time of 4:59 and 35 seconds.

To play with the variables use this link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/race-time-predictor

I'm currently on a program looking to up the distance and it's remarkable how much the pace tapers with the extra distance! 

I'm sure one of the more qualified team will add more relevant info! Jackes should be a good commentator having just run his first and a consolidated post from him about the process he followed to get tot he finish this year will be your ticket! (No pressure Jackes...  :ph34r:  :devil:  :whistling: )

Edited by Tubehunter

Disclaimer: I have never run a comrades.

That said, a few pages back there was a debate going on about whether the sub 5 hour qualification of a marathon for Comrades was strict enough. That's a minimum entry point. To get to that minimum entry you will need to run a marathon in that time. Using RunnersWorld race predictor I put in some times and training distance to get a race prediction for sub 5.

If you can run a 5K in 30 minutes, you will need to have a training plan that has 50k per week in the build up to your marathon to get a race prediction time of 4:59 and 35 seconds.

To play with the variables use this link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/race-time-predictor

I'm currently on a program looking to up the distance and it's remarkable how much the pace tapers with the extra distance!

I'm sure one of the more qualified team will add more relevant info! Jackes should be a good commentator having just run his first and a consolidated post from him about the process he followed to get tot he finish this year will be your ticket! (No pressure Jackes... :ph34r: :devil: :whistling: )

Thanks I saw the discussion regarding the 5 hour marathon. Thats why I asked.

I also dont know at this stage how much my time will change when adding more distance and running on tar vs my current dirt road running that I do.

I will have a look at the link