ScottCM

Thanx for posting this Hacc. Interesting to see how I perceive a race's difficulty vs what is listed here.

Can't wait for that Haapsehoop marathon

I definitely agree that Tough One is a 5.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Rhodes Trail Run on Saturday. Mavis Bank was steep. Yes everyone tells you about Mavis, and how uphill she is and how tough she is and so on and so forth. However, what is often left out is a few other uniquely Rhodes things, like the three river crossings, the "cattle track"and wild rose bushes and the camber all before Mavis (at 23km). So by the time you get to Mavis bank, you are softened and shredded properly. Mavis bank (2500-2600meter above sea level) also takes your breath away (ie there is no oxygen up here). After that there is still another 28 km odd to run. Yes there is some gravel road (always uphill) until Tiffendals, then about 6km of rolling lawn (Lesotho style) cattle trodden grass clumps, twisting your ankles forcing you to walk or use poles to stay upright. A sigh of relief, gravel road and 15km downhill to home. Downhill. F%$^#@, concrete cliffs to slip, slide and trip on for 6km. Even a landy would not ride this on a good day. Next year I bring a couple of beer boxes and slide down rather. Last 8km a running pleasure, pity the knees were totally wrecked by that concrete road.

And we were lucky as the snow is coming a week late. Champagne weather. (ps not really as all those bushes were full of green shoots which made them grab and claw at you as you ran past, over and through them).

Will done dude.. My business partner was there and he is a seasoned Rhodes runner and said it was tough

Who has run the City 2 City 50k? Nice route / race? I see its a qualifier as well.

City  2 City is probably the most awful route in South Africa.  Everything is grey from winter, it is run along the old Joburg-Pta road, the traffic is horrible, and at some intersections in Mid Rand downright dangerous.  But that is the whole charm of the race.  Sometimes you need to run through the valley of death......

Edited by Paddaman

Who has run the City 2 City 50k? Nice route / race? I see its a qualifier as well.

Surprise, surprise... Central Gauteng Athletics has cancelled the City 2 City Marathon (24 September) due to a lack of sponsorship.

">July 13, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Surprise, surprise... Central Gauteng Athletics has cancelled the City 2 City Marathon (24 September) due to a lack of sponsorship.

">July 13, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

I'm sorry but i don't see how that is possible with the correct people at the helm. i mean how hard is it to get sponsorship from the two most economic cities in RSA. Heck, they could even do a joint effort if need be. make a huge promotion about a JHB company/radio station etc handing over the battern in midrand to a PTA company radio station for the final leg Relay style. Just bad marketing and poor staff selection in my very limited experienced opinion. 

I'm sorry but i don't see how that is possible with the correct people at the helm. i mean how hard is it to get sponsorship from the two most economic cities in RSA. Heck, they could even do a joint effort if need be. make a huge promotion about a JHB company/radio station etc handing over the battern in midrand to a PTA company radio station for the final leg Relay style. Just bad marketing and poor staff selection in my very limited experienced opinion. 

I think it's more a case of sponsors not wanting to be associated with a race that has fallen off the wagon and hasn't delivered for years... 

Just look at Soweto marathon as a prime example, was piss poorly run for years to the point it almost collapsed, and now it's sold out half a year in advance because it's finally being well run.

Don't specifically know the history of City to City, but with so many good races on the calendar, the poorer ones will fall away.

I think it's more a case of sponsors not wanting to be associated with a race that has fallen off the wagon and hasn't delivered for years... 

Just look at Soweto marathon as a prime example, was piss poorly run for years to the point it almost collapsed, and now it's sold out half a year in advance because it's finally being well run.

Don't specifically know the history of City to City, but with so many good races on the calendar, the poorer ones will fall away.

The concept of the City to City has massive potential.  At one stage the JSE even sponsored it.  There is a lot of goodwill to be won, with possible messages being carried between the two mayors.  A possible bridging of the old historic divide between the political capital and the de facto economic capital of the RSA.  The start could even be moved to Alexander to make it more inclusive. 

I must grudgely agree that the organizing committee has dropped the ball.  Maybe it is time for the race to handed over to a successful (or few successful) clubs to run.  Say a RAC (Joburg), Irene (MId Rand/Centurion) and Magnolia (PTA) as a combined effort.  Thereafter other clubs can build consortiums to bid for it, for example, Pirates, Phobians ext.

City  2 City is probably the most awful route in South Africa.  Everything is grey from winter, it is run along the old Joburg-Pta road, the traffic is horrible, and at some intersections in Mid Rand downright dangerous.  But that is the whole charm of the race.  Sometimes you need to run through the valley of death......

Hahaha this is a great write-up!

Anyone use the adidas supernova ? They are a good price on take-a-lot plus i get a bit more discount with multiply.

https://sport.takealot.com/sport-men-s-adidas-supernova-running-shoes/PLID43623172

Yup, I can also get them for R960  hehe.    Unfortunately they don't have the 0.5 sizes that I would need.    Everybody I spoke with loves them.   They are however still a bit too narrow for my liking, although they are wider than the previous generation.

Yup, I can also get them for R960  hehe.    Unfortunately they don't have the 0.5 sizes that I would need.    Everybody I spoke with loves them.   They are however still a bit too narrow for my liking, although they are wider than the previous generation.

I'm only on silver so they just over a R1000 for me. I see the asics gt 1000 are also on sale , so that's another option.

I'm only on silver so they just over a R1000 for me. I see the asics gt 1000 are also on sale , so that's another option.

Supernova is neutral, Gt1000 is light stability.

Anyone use the adidas supernova ? They are a good price on take-a-lot plus i get a bit more discount with multiply.

https://sport.takealot.com/sport-men-s-adidas-supernova-running-shoes/PLID43623172

I received a pair from takealot yesterday and took them for a spin last night, sublime.

- I have wide feet and the 8's fit just fine

- right foot is marginally bigger than left foot

and these shoes just fit so damn good out the box.

I'm an ex-NB fanboy, but I have been impressed with the adidas Supernova's. Sure I haven't done plenty miles yet, but initial results are good and the number of runners in our club using them says a lot.