ScottCM

Yes I take salt tablets, as well as Omega 3,6,9 and Magnesium Glycinate (find it works better than slow mag) daily

And then do you find you don't need to supplement any more during an event? (apart from the usual food & drink)

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I train pretty much every day twice a day for my triathlons, I take salt tablets daily.  I cannot remember the last time I cramped, whether doing an LSD or high intensity workout.  I also heavily salt my food.

You also likely don't cramp much because you train twice a day...

PS: Gross tip of the day, if you're feeling like cramping and you don't have any rehidrat/tablets etc - you can always just lick your arm  :blush:

Hey guys.

What do you eat for breakfast before a marathon and during the run?

Before... oatsoeasy and an apple about 20 min before the start.

During... Some gus and some jelly babies

Pre-race smoothie: Small scoop of Protein, banana, dates, almonds, full fat yoghurt, 4 seed mix, cranberries - and blended up with full cream milk. 

During race, Rehidrat every 15km's, the odd gel for when feeling a bit pap, bananas, salted oranges, potatoes whenever I can get and then a mix of coke water one stop, plain water the next stop. Tend to take it easy on the cokes early days and favour them a little more towards the end.

Everyone is different though, you've gotta find what works for you - and that's not always much fun  :ph34r:

Hey guys.

My trusty pre race meal is beacon/eggs . and toast with a wack of peanut butter .

All the proteins and fats i need to keep my skinny ass going .

Saturday i ran a personal best and a negative split , my last 7km i ran at 4min15 perkm with plenty in the tank

Hey guys.

also remember is as import what you put in the day before to build all reserves .

During the run it was only water and goo .

I will admit i did not run 42 like all the beasts but only 21 

That 21km time was pretty beast though!

Got a first marathon lined up - or you gonna focus on the shorter stuff for now?

That 21km time was pretty beast though!

Got a first marathon lined up - or you gonna focus on the shorter stuff for now?

Im really liking the 21 thing at the moment, easy to train for when still trying to fit in riding and swimming.

however the 42 will happen im sure of it.

BUUUT i really want to do some trail runs, that looks awesome .

More than anything the attitude and positive upliftment of runners reminds me of racing XCO in the 90's , no matter who you are or where you finish everyone is treated the same, really enjoying the people so much.

Im really liking the 21 thing at the moment, easy to train for when still trying to fit in riding and swimming.

however the 42 will happen im sure of it.

BUUUT i really want to do some trail runs, that looks awesome .

More than anything the attitude and positive upliftment of runners reminds me of racing XCO in the 90's , no matter who you are or where you finish everyone is treated the same, really enjoying the people so much.

You should come try adventure racing then...

I turn my back to go ride some MTB and you guys write half the old testament in volume! 

Well done to everybody on their runs! 

Iron, trail runs are wayyyy more fun! 

And onto the eating thing - I eat whatever is available, either yoghurt and muesli (though not shortly before a run - I learnt THAT lesson the hard way!) or Futurelife. Run with gels and take them bit by bit. Divide one gel into at least 2-3 small servings and mostly water. Skip coke as much as possible, but grew to love those Powerade sachets at Oceans! Due to that, I think I used only 1.5 gels on the entire Oceans. Yes, it was my first and yes, I did not go to nail it, just finish, but still...

After my MRI they say the following "small chondral defect with irregular of the cartilage on the articular surface"

Waiting for the ortho but will this stop me from running completely? Has anybody had this and can still run after taking off running for 2 months?

It only happens when I run no issues when walking or racing(cycle) in the Vets.

Edited by Zatek

Im keen to try adventure racing..there seems to be none in KZN though so it kinda makes it a little costly.

that is changing next year, there is a 120km full moon in Aug 2018 in Drakensberg, as well as one in Swaziland and one at cape st francis.

Transkei tough is also not so far for the kzn folk.

You also likely don't cramp much because you train twice a day...

PS: Gross tip of the day, if you're feeling like cramping and you don't have any rehidrat/tablets etc - you can always just lick your arm  :blush:

Great I will have to run after other runners to lick their arms.....