ScottCM

The plan was 70.3 in 2019. I am postponing it to 2020.

I also found a swimming coach in Fourways, obviously, I can swim, but swimming in open water is a different story. 

My biggest obstacle at the moment is time. I still don't know how some people do it with a full-time job etc. I will have to cut down on my working hours, that is going to be an interesting discussion with the bosses... 

Maybe post a query on time-sourcing over on the Tri thread? Nothing like hearing how other people manage to squeeze in training twice a day to realise how much you don't want to can do it!

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a very funny conversation this morning with a colleague of mine.

We were (obviously) talking about running and how his training is going.

He then mentions something so funny, I couldn't stop laughing.

One of his friends counts "big bums"  at races when he is running to distract himself. (I have no idea what he classifies as a big bum)

Is there anything you count/do at races to distract yourself? I normally break it down into water points or certain landmarks. 

Maybe post a query on time-sourcing over on the Tri thread? Nothing like hearing how other people manage to squeeze in training twice a day to realise how much you don't want to can do it!

I guess the entry fee is motivation enough to make time to train. 

Is there anything you count/do at races to distract yourself? I normally break it down into water points or certain landmarks. 

I look for humour in any situation. From funny clothes to coincidences, you name it. And I'm one of the smile-and-wave-ers... Try to acknowledge the support as much as possible - and have the odd chirp back ready when required! 

Further to that, enjoy the scenery. And something I started doing recently towards end of runs and things are getting a bit draggy... I "chase" groups/people. See somebody you miiight be able to catch before a certain point, just to keep the tempo going when the tempo does not want to keep going any more. Silly game, but fun. (I think everybody does that to a degree!) 

I try to look around.

I find I get bogged down when the going gets tough and I end up staring at the road a meter ahead of me, it gets very tunnel-visioned. If I actively lift my head up and look around (at anything) it can take my mind away for a minute and maybe thats all I need. 

Scenery is a good one, people on the side, other runners, cars, bikes, dogs at gates..

I had a very funny conversation this morning with a colleague of mine.

We were (obviously) talking about running and how his training is going.

He then mentions something so funny, I couldn't stop laughing.

One of his friends counts "big bums" at races when he is running to distract himself. (I have no idea what he classifies as a big bum)

I start making rhymes and songs with things I see.

One of his friends counts "big bums"  at races when he is running to distract himself. (I have no idea what he classifies as a big bum)

Yeah, I look at bums....  :blush: :devil: :D

Edited by Jackes

I do calculations on distance to determine if I need to pick up or slow down the pace. I also think about life in general as I do in training runs. I chat to people if they up for it.. And I also look at bums.... Sorry ladies...I am not ashamed to admit this... You can look at our bums too if your want! ????

I do calculations on distance to determine if I need to pick up or slow down the pace. I also think about life in general as I do in training runs. I chat to people if they up for it.. And I also look at bums.... Sorry ladies...I am not ashamed to admit this... You can look at our bums too if your want!

Says Stretch rocking those hot pants of his  :whistling:

I have to admit that female runners generally have an impressive physique - it's hard not too notice. And we also can appreciate the hard work that's gone in to a great pair of legs and a cute bum. We're not in the sport just for the aches, pains and injuries.

I almost Forgot. Where are those Hot Pants Stretch :w00t:  :w00t:

The Last 4km of Saturdays Kaapsehoop race,I run with a girl with Adidas hot pants, and orange adidas shoes. that's all I remember. :ph34r:

Those km's flew by. :whistling:

I knew that the word bum is going to cause a stir... To be honest, I have never paid any attention to bums around me. I guess I have a game plan then for Tough One  ^_^

So ODD is now run in a clockwise direction, with a new starting point @ Hartbeespoort Holiday Resort, N of the dam.

This is a rough draft I did from the avail info on the website.  The exact route through Schoemansville is not known to me and could actually drop down to the dam at an earlier point than indicated on my map.

Who is joining me?  Entries halfway already to cap apparently.

post-57330-0-39741700-1510144115_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pieter-za

During the monotonous parts of most long runs my brain decides to run through a highlights package of all the cringe-worthy things I've done in my life. Either that or it will play the chorus from Moana/Frozen/Jungle Book on constant repeat.

Thanks, Brain, you're a real pal.

Edited by Barry Stuart

At some point on the run I will end up singing over and over the first verse of Chuck Berry "Riding along in My Automobile"

Have also found myself doing this when on long training rides and zone out to my surroundings

Edited by shaper

So ODD is now run in a clockwise direction, with a new starting point @ Hartbeespoort Holiday Resort, N of the dam.

This is a rough draft I did from the avail info on the website.  The exact route through Schoemansville is not known to me and could actually drop down to the dam at an earlier point than indicated on my map.

Who is joining me?  Entries halfway already to cap apparently.

I have entered. I have a love-hate relationship with ODD. I think clockwise might be easier?