ScottCM

Which Brooks are those, look similar to the Ravenna.

I've just bought my second pair of Brooks (Ravenna 8's), after running in Asics for so many years I really enjoy the Brook's

Ghost 10’s. Ravenna is a light support, my wife has them as well. My third pair of ghosts now, her first. Loving mine Edited by Jackes

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a really handy feature. I had knee reconstruction due to rugby stupidity and they used a bit of my hammy to fix it so I can feel the awkwardness in my stride when I'm sprinting or climbing Westcliff stairs. Have you managed to successfully correct the imbalance?

I have not resolved the gait issue, however if I run at a LSD pace or go it on the trail, I get to 50.2R-48.8L which is neer enough to feel that their is no asymmetric strain.  When I push the pace, in a TT or race, I realise that I will need to rest up or do directed stretching to loosen up during the ensuing week.  I does help remind me to stretch more.

What kind of gait info does the fenix provide?

The Garmin Trisport HR belt(blue) has the L-R balance built in.  I do not know if the running only HR belt also has it.  It is worth it to buy the HR belt aftermarket if you bought the Fenix or Forerunner with the wrist "eye" only.

Also you get cadence, stride length, vertical ratio, vertical osciliation and ground contact time.

Edited by Paddaman

So I saw this link on Facebook, any comments? This is an article written by Kevin Matthews. He ran 5000 km in 2016  :eek:

"I achieved the extra time on legs by running twice a day as much as possible and since June this year averaging nearly 140k a week and 10-12 runs. Pace wise I slowed down in the week but tried to race at least once a fortnight, sometimes more often. This allowed me to move into the Matt Fitzgerald 80% slow and steady and 20% at pace training split."

http://www.runbkrun.com/2016/12/31/2016-proved-its-all-about-distance/

PS. This is also quite an interesting article about how to improve your PB:

http://www.runbkrun.com/2018/01/03/secret-to-running-a-pb-pr-really-is-simple/

Ive done some reading on morning and evening runs to increase distance. For pure aerobic fitness it doesn’t do much. A 2h easy run is much better stimulis for the aerobic system than two 1h easy runs in one day. There is a benefit when you do two different runs in one day however, ie a tempo and an easy run. But I guess if you want to do 5000km a year you need to run the whole day????

so like happy new year to all the runners here .

hope the festive season was good to you all , i realized after Saturdays park-run that i had too much beer drinking time and need to do some work.

happy training to you all and good luck with whatever you have planned for the year.

Running is a game of patience yeah! Just put in the time, the results will happen by themselves. 

Also, overseas runners are apparently confused by the general ZA runners. We run too fast when we should run slow, and run too slow when we are supposed to run fast. Which leads to my observation of the general ZA runner (long distance - because that is all we do in ZA; distance uber alles) being a one paced slogger. 

Hilarious and very sad to see people slogging at their usual ultra pace on an athletics track when they are doing intervals..

I've seen this so many times - not just with running.  The hard days are to easy, and easy days too hard, so you get the benefits of neither, and don't recover on the easy days...

so like happy new year to all the runners here .

hope the festive season was good to you all , i realized after Saturdays park-run that i had too much beer drinking time and need to do some work.

happy training to you all and good luck with whatever you have planned for the year.

Aye! I don't know if it was being back at altitude or if it was the Christmas breakfast-brunch-lunch-slunch-supper routine but I was puffing horribly from the first km of Parkrun on Saturday.

Stolen off the Comrades Facebook site..

Where is the unlike button on theHub... That is just scary!

Aye! I don't know if it was being back at altitude or if it was the Christmas breakfast-brunch-lunch-slunch-supper routine but I was puffing horribly from the first km of Parkrun on Saturday.

I felt the same way at Kudus on Sunday, I blame the altitude.  :whistling:

Any advice on how to get up in the mornings to train??? I have set my alarm yesterday and today and I just hit the snooze button and slept further. Even nightmares about Comrades is not motivating me at the moment.  :wacko:

Any advice on how to get up in the mornings to train??? I have set my alarm yesterday and today and I just hit the snooze button and slept further. Even nightmares about Comrades is not motivating me at the moment. :wacko:

During December I committed to get up at 4 in the morning to run. Due to the heat, and work. First few days was rough, but now Im up at 4 everyday ,even on rest days. That sucks. Amazing how quickly your body adapts. Going to bed in your running kit also helps.

Where is the unlike button on theHub... That is just scary!

I felt the same way at Kudus on Sunday, I blame the altitude.  :whistling:

Any advice on how to get up in the mornings to train??? I have set my alarm yesterday and today and I just hit the snooze button and slept further. Even nightmares about Comrades is not motivating me at the moment.  :wacko:

If you can, get someone to train with you , like that it forces you to get up knowing you have somebody waiting for you. Just make sure they are more motivated than you are at the moment.

Edited by Khronis