ScottCM

During December I committed to get up at 4 in the morning to run. Due to the heat, and work. First few days was rough, but now Im up at 4 everyday ,even on rest days. That sucks. Amazing how quickly your body adapts. Going to bed in your running kit also helps.

How late do you go to bed?

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running is a game of patience yeah! Just put in the time, the results will happen by themselves. 

Also, overseas runners are apparently confused by the general ZA runners. We run too fast when we should run slow, and run too slow when we are supposed to run fast. Which leads to my observation of the general ZA runner (long distance - because that is all we do in ZA; distance uber alles) being a one paced slogger. 

Hilarious and very sad to see people slogging at their usual ultra pace on an athletics track when they are doing intervals..

So lets say I do most of my runs at 5:45 per km (give or take 10 secs), whether its 10 or 20km, just normal 'get out and train' runs.

In a 21km race I'll aim for 5:00/km but will prob be closer to 5:10 or 5:15ish.

I don't really do intervals because I only run 3 times a week at best, and reckon I need the distance more than anything.

what speed should my longer easy runs be at? over 6:00/km? 6:30?

So lets say I do most of my runs at 5:45 per km (give or take 10 secs), whether its 10 or 20km, just normal 'get out and train' runs.

In a 21km race I'll aim for 5:00/km but will prob be closer to 5:10 or 5:15ish.

I don't really do intervals because I only run 3 times a week at best, and reckon I need the distance more than anything.

what speed should my longer easy runs be at? over 6:00/km? 6:30?

Do you use a hear rate monitor? Running according to heart rate helped me a lot. Long runs should be in zone 2. Ive noticed that I always did my long runs about 15s too quick. At about 6min/km Im at about 60-70% of threshold.

Do you use a hear rate monitor? Running according to heart rate helped me a lot. Long runs should be in zone 2. Ive noticed that I always did my long runs about 15s too quick. At about 6min/km Im at about 60-70% of threshold.

Yeah that sounds like a better measure, than outright speed.

I don't usually look at HR on my watch screen, I'll give it a go from now.

thanks!

My mouse slipped whilst I was looking at a site and this happened…

post-63043-0-42565700-1515522330_thumb.png

It's just the 65 but, as what could only be described as a dirt roadie at this stage, it's pretty daunting. Especially the navigation aspect. So, if any of you guys and girls have done something like this, I'd really appreciate a chat over a beer or a run to get some insight and advice.

Talking about Bruce...

And he brought parkrun to RSA. Turned those 200,000km into 22,366,785km by parkrunners, which is still increasing! Talk about giving back to the sport you love!

I've seen this so many times - not just with running.  The hard days are to easy, and easy days too hard, so you get the benefits of neither, and don't recover on the easy days...

For people to figure how slow a slow run should be, try using the Jack Daniels (Not the whiskey! ) (running) VDOT Calculator.

Use your current best pace (not ever fastest, not last years miracle fast run, nor your intended/target/goal pace!) 

Lots of people make the mistake of thinking they want to train to run a 4min/km 10km or whatever pace/distance, and start by running at that pace over shorter distances, thinking they can increase the distance they can keep the pace as they get fitter.... Hello INJURY!

A copy of Jack Daniel's (click to read up on him) VDOT calculator can be found at runsmartproject.

For example, a current best time of 2:06:35 on a 1/2 marathon (6minutes/km pace) will render the following training paces: (There are specific meaning and percentages of total training attached to Repetition / Interval / Threshold, but I'm too lazy to go fetch my book with all this stuff in ;)

post-14863-0-98852300-1515528833_thumb.jpg

BTW, if anyone knows of an entry going for the Johnson Crane, please let me know.

21 or 42?

My mouse slipped whilst I was looking at a site and this happened…

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-01-09 at 20.24.00.png

It's just the 65 but, as what could only be described as a dirt roadie at this stage, it's pretty daunting. Especially the navigation aspect. So, if any of you guys and girls have done something like this, I'd really appreciate a chat over a beer or a run to get some insight and advice.

You will not struggle with the Nav or the Terrain/Distance on the 65. Will catch up with at one of the club runs. 

Where is the unlike button on theHub... That is just scary!

I felt the same way at Kudus on Sunday, I blame the altitude.  :whistling:

Any advice on how to get up in the mornings to train??? I have set my alarm yesterday and today and I just hit the snooze button and slept further. Even nightmares about Comrades is not motivating me at the moment.  :wacko:

Running in the morning?  Only two possible solutions:

Commute to work by foot.  (Only good if your commute for 6 -12km per day and you have a shower at work.)  It is amazing what you can do if you do not have a choice.

Get a running partner/training group.  Peer pressure can be a real motivator.

Supplement with a Strava challenge or two, such as a goal or a few segments on the route.

Any advice on how to get up in the mornings to train??? I have set my alarm yesterday and today and I just hit the snooze button and slept further. Even nightmares about Comrades is not motivating me at the moment.  :wacko:

Stop training for a week, or a month even.. Enjoy the good life like the rest of the world, you deserve it!

In fact.. stop for 6 months!

And why not sell your comrades entry? you don't need that pain in your life/ do you?

Or do you?  :devil:

How about you set your alarm 15 mins earlier for tomorrow morning and give a late-sleeping world the finger as you go skipping down the streets with a silly grin on your face.

For those that missed by first attempt at the maths of running here is an update:

Sum One:  You need to train at least twice the desired race distance within a peek weekly cycle.  (ie if you want to run a 42km race, your weekly training load should peak at 85km)

Sum Two:  One third of the weekly load should be done as a LSD in one day/session.  (Thus a marathon LSD should be about 27-30km LSD)

Sum Three:  Just less than On third  of the load should be divided into two or three quality sessions (ie track/Hills/Farleks).  Thus you should do 10km sessions two to three times a week hard.  This includes 1/3 of that being warm up and cool down.  So you get 2km warm up 10 x 500m interval (with say 100m recovery) and a 2km cool down.  Or 2km warm up and 3 x 1km hills with 3 x 1km slow/medium returns and then finish with a cool down.

Sum four:  the remainder last third(pluss) is divided recovery and tempo runs for three/two of the days of about 10-15km each, which can be broken down into a 7km recovery run in the morning and a 7km tempo run in the afternoon.

Sum Four:  Rest on one day a week......

Basic limitations:

The human body starts falling apart if you push further than 100 miles (160km) a week for more than three weeks.  The safest "sweet spot" is between 65 and 120km a week for a peak of three weeks.  Anything less is to too little anything more you risk overtraining or injury.

Never increase a training load by more than 10% a week.  Do not jump from the couch to 50km a week, and do not jump from 50km a week to 100km/week in one week.  Gradually does it.

Do not slack on speed work and do not race on LSD (long slow distance).  Let your body decide when it ready to go faster.  It will if you follow a programme

Alternate hard and soft days.

You can probably race about 10-15sec/km faster than your tempo runs.  PS never attempt to go at race pace on a tempo run, only use your race pace during interval sessions to programme your "speedometer" and not empty your tank or burn your rubber.  (if you have to test your body do a 5km park run, and not a 32km to test your speed a few weeks before a marathon).

LSD is done slowly (almost 1min slower than race pace.) It is there to condition your body and mind to the pain and boredom of a 3-4hr race, not to build your VO2 max.

Plan a week or two taper before the race.  So the peak weeks should be start about 5-6 weeks prior to the event. 

Assess your fitness now.  do the 10% incremental sums.  Compare the outcome with desired peak week, pin onto the calendar.  So if you are doing 30km a week now and you need to get to 85km peak, that is difference of 55km.  Planning for experiential growth on 3km increases and then leveling out for mishaps, you will need about 10-16 weeks to get to peak.  Then add 5 weeks to peak train, and you have a plan of between 16 and 20 weeks to populate.  (thumb suck maths here, but you get the point)

Comments welcome