ScottCM

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it normal to feel like crap during the last few days of tapering? Everything is stiff, legs feel like lead.. Maybe is just stress..

YES!  :P

I also tend to get some phantom pains during a taper as well. Suddenly an Achilles will be sore, just for hals an hour, then it's fine. Then you'd walk around and suddenly "feel" your calve. Then a bit later an ankle would be stiff, so it continues. 

Happy days! Rest well and klap it!

YES!  :P

I also tend to get some phantom pains during a taper as well. Suddenly an Achilles will be sore, just for hals an hour, then it's fine. Then you'd walk around and suddenly "feel" your calve. Then a bit later an ankle would be stiff, so it continues. 

Happy days! Rest well and klap it!

my phantom pain is flu symptoms.......very stressful that is.

All this slow talk.... Remember when you first started cycling? Did you avg 30km/h+ for 60 km on your first rides? I remember my first ride. I cycled 15km with my MTB on tar and I slept the rest of the day...

Be patient. Especially with running. It gets better and your speed will increase. Don't do too much, too soon as you might get injured. Like Paddaman has mentioned before, this is a gradual process.

Set yourself a goal / pick a race and train according to a plan. Be realistic about it.

Don't compare yourself to anyone but yourself.

And most importantly, enjoy it! We are privileged to be able to run.

This is my Oprah speech for today.

Your "Oprah" speech was good reading and is so true!!

I remember my first MTB race of 20kms out near Harties. Think my average speed was about 12km and i slept in the car the whole way home  :eek:

Again, sorry if it's already been covered on this thread but please could you more experienced runners briefly explain your warm up/stretching routine before you hit the road for your run.

Thanks in advance..........

I dont really do stretching before a run. I only do warm ups and warm downs on my days I do hills en speed work. Its usually done at a slow easy pace. I must actually start doing stretching again because I have "spondylolisthesis". The physio showed me excersices to do, I am just a bit lazy to do them once a day. But I must mention, the gyming does help alot. Its just my hamstrings thats sometimes very tight.

Another question: The main reason for starting running is to train in a limited time during the week. You guys doing cycling and running - how will running improve my cycling? EmptyB said it improved his cycling pace and climbing - what is the rest of your experiences?

From my little experience, and this is just non-scientific, observation. 

Running helps for cycling.

Cycling does sweet nothing for running. 

How did I get to this?

I have two serious runner friends, guys who do things like the Puffer, Fish River Canyon (running the canyon in one day), various desert marathons and obviously  Comrades and the likes etc. Currently my one friend is  logging  about 120 to 150 km a week. 

Both of them have on occasion got on a mid level bicycle and rode 100 km  or did a 3 day cycling tour  or rode for a team who needed a replacement rider in a race. 

No cycling training in most cases.

No, non of them won the race.  They were about mid-field 

But They did not die. Mostly complained about the saddle, nothing about the legs.  

Yes,  I still cycled faster than them,  and "looked" better the next day. 

I do consider myself an ok cyclist.

BUT . . . .

This is the same as me getting of my bike and jogging something like measly half marathon. 

There is NO WAY IN HELL I will  make it (before I started jogging)

Even at my best ever cycling fitness I could not even jog 10 km (possibly not even 5 km ) and not be dead  and possibly sustain serious injury. 

When I started my jogging in October, doing just 2km, I could about not walk the next day. 

I would limp over to my bike, but once on, no pain or nothing in the cycling  muscles.

My riding buddies did not even know I started jogging till I got of the bike at the end of rides, limping to my fridge for a beer. 

Seems if so much extra muscles is used for running.

Maybe its the pounding effect. . 

I can ponder the reason for this at length. 

Others may have the answer as to why. 

That is just my observation. (2cent) 

Edited by IH8MUD

From my little experience, and this is just non-scientific, observation. 

Running helps for cycling.

Cycling does sweet nothing for running. 

That is just my observation. (2cent) 

Agreed.

Running being weight bearing makes you "hard".

One thing to remember though - the best thing for cycling is cycling. A bit of running isn't going to turn you into Chris Froome on the bike.

Running is a great cross trainer for cycling but if you want to improve your cycling then cycle.

About the only time running improves your cycling is when you're time challenged - then a short run is better than no ride.

***my opinion of course***

Again, sorry if it's already been covered on this thread but please could you more experienced runners briefly explain your warm up/stretching routine before you hit the road for your run.

I tend to use the first as well as the last three km of a run as the warm-up and cool down. That's about it for me. If I'm doing speedwork, like intervals, hills or tempo, then I'll do a good four km warm up and then about six short (15 seconds) strides (90% effort) with a minute and a half slow jog inbetween. I find I'm much more fluid and relaxed in my form after that.

But we're all physiologically different so try a few different bits of advice from here and see what works.

Edited by Barry Stuart

My routine is very scientific. 

Warm up: Put on running clothes.

Stretch: Put on socks and tekkies.

Added warm up for bonus points: walk out front door. 

If/when I do stretch, it is afterwards. (That is actual stretching, not taking off shoes and socks...) 

I may not be the best person to ask, but that is my honest answer...

I don't stretch before a run. I do warm-ups before hill repeats and speed work. I always stretch after training runs.  Most importantly is foam rolling... Especially after long runs. You will be swearing (a lot) but it helps with recovery. 

I agree running helps for your fitness levels on the bike. The problem is your bum as you are not used to sitting for so long and I find my lower back and wrists get sore if I haven't cycled for a while. 

Unfortunately, it does not work the other way around. 

I dont really do stretching before a run. I only do warm ups and warm downs on my days I do hills en speed work. Its usually done at a slow easy pace. I must actually start doing stretching again because I have "spondylolisthesis". The physio showed me excersices to do, I am just a bit lazy to do them once a day. But I must mention, the gyming does help alot. Its just my hamstrings thats sometimes very tight.

I'm pi$$ poor at warming up properly, maybe why my calves are tight for the first km or two!!

Any idea why your hamstrings are tight?

My routine is very scientific.

Warm up: Put on running clothes.

Stretch: Put on socks and tekkies.

Added warm up for bonus points: walk out front door.

If/when I do stretch, it is afterwards. (That is actual stretching, not taking off shoes and socks...)

I may not be the best person to ask, but that is my honest answer...

Sounds similar to my routine ????...hence my question.

Another question: The main reason for starting running is to train in a limited time during the week. You guys doing cycling and running - how will running improve my cycling? EmptyB said it improved his cycling pace and climbing - what is the rest of your experiences?

Running helps cycling big time. I think doing hill repeats or interval sessions (quality sessions) is a big benefit to cycling. I did a quick Amashova (2h43) last year having ridden 3 times the whole year, with no ride longer than 42ks as far as I recall. I put it down to consistent running and introducing more quality sessions into the programme.

I'm pi$$ poor at warming up properly, maybe why my calves are tight for the first km or two!!

Running exercises calf and hamstring muscles, ergo, they will be tight.  Best warm up is to walk, then jog, then run.......

I have no Idea, Maybe it was because I had such terrible back pain when I ran years ago, that my body over compensate to help my back. So with that my hamstrings shortened. I think :unsure: . But the problem with that is, I don't extend my leg as much as I want to.