ScottCM

Just worried about my bikes . . . . some are being ridden much less, standing with flat tires.  Terrible I tell you.   :blush:

It happens...

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting statement on the ASA License Application form:

ASA does not own you, how can they prohibit you to participate in say a fun run at e.g. school, church etc etc?  :thumbdown: 

It says compete, not participate.  So I feel compete means the desire to win, not the desire to put on training miles.  Luckily, they have not yet included trail running events yet........

Also trail running tends to use the term "challenge" and not race to provide a degree of wiggle room.

Park run actually falls into the category of "club time trial" and not fun run.

Edited by Paddaman

I am also a newbie...

Started running in October for the first time in my life, I started run/walk 2km and upped gradually. I can do now 8km comfortable but I am VERY SLOW.

When I started my knees gave me a bit of a niggle, but I think it was the change of exercise.

My two questions:

1) I want to run for 3 days in a row, but some advise that I got was that it will only hurt my knees and that I must skip a day. What is your opinions on this?

2) As I said - I am really slow. Must I just keep doing my (aiming for 10km) till I get faster in time? or Must I try to push myself to go faster? or Must and when do I start doing intervals (as that seems the thing to do to up you speed)?

I am also a newbie...

Started running in October for the first time in my life, I started run/walk 2km and upped gradually. I can do now 8km comfortable but I am VERY SLOW.

When I started my knees gave me a bit of a niggle, but I think it was the change of exercise.

My two questions:

1) I want to run for 3 days in a row, but some advise that I got was that it will only hurt my knees and that I must skip a day. What is your opinions on this?

2) As I said - I am really slow. Must I just keep doing my (aiming for 10km) till I get faster in time? or Must I try to push myself to go faster? or Must and when do I start doing intervals (as that seems the thing to do to up you speed)?

Everything with running takes time.  Slowly increase the number of days you train a week.  Start with training every alternate day.  When your body is able to do this, then include a bit of walking on the "rest days".  Once your body is used to this then increase the distance you run and walk by no more than 10% a week.  Then when you are able to run every day, start running faster on alternate days, then start running further........

Hi all. Another newbie here. I attempted to start running last year October and hurt my knee. Went to physio and bio and confirmed patellofemoral pain syndrome (is this also known as runners knee?) I will be starting a couch to 10km soon with the aim of doing and completing my first 10km race in April. I will be definitely be taking it easy and progressing slowly as I have learnt my lesson about too much too soon! As mentioned here time and time again - its takes time abd you cannot rush!

Thanks to all who contribute to this thread! You guys/gals rock!

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Nice to see all these new faces... it's slow and tedious at first, but stick it out, build up slowly and reap the rewards. For time efficiency there isn't really a better fitness option out there.

Enjoy the journey guys and soak up the knowledge from the many top guys we have on here.

I am also a newbie...

My two questions:

I'm also slow but I don't care (thanks to what I've read on this thread). I can see me trend is getting faster and it's without pain!!

I'll keep on gradually upping my distance and consistency and worry about speed in due course.

Without doubt the running has improved my cycling pace and climbing...

The only worry I have at the moment, is not over training, as I have a pretty good solid base to work from.

My Biggest fear are getting sick from my aircons. Living in the lowveld with temp which is constantly at between 38-46'C is no joke. In and Out of my office during the day and getting back from a hot run into a cold house. :eek:

So far my Vit C 1000 and extra supplements have helped. :thumbup:

Edited by Lexx

The only worry I have at the moment, is not over training, as I have a pretty good solid base to work from.

My Biggest fear are getting sick from my aircons. Living in the lowveld with temp which is constantly at between 38-46'C is no joke. In and Out of my office during the day and getting back from a hot run into a cold house. :eek:

my supplement load includes vit c, magnesium, zinc and MSM

my supplement load includes vit c, magnesium, zinc and MSM

I also use Pharmaton, Zincmag Sport, Omega 3 and VIT C1000

My Biggest fear are getting sick from my aircons. Living in the lowveld with temp which is constantly at between 38-46'C is no joke. In and Out of my office during the day and getting back from a hot run into a cold house. :eek:

Never go a day without Vit C 1000....

I'm also slow but I don't care (thanks to what I've read on this thread). I can see me trend is getting faster and it's without pain!!

I am also a newbie...

All this slow talk.... Remember when you first started cycling? Did you avg 30km/h+ for 60 km on your first rides? I remember my first ride. I cycled 15km with my MTB on tar and I slept the rest of the day...

Be patient. Especially with running. It gets better and your speed will increase. Don't do too much, too soon as you might get injured. Like Paddaman has mentioned before, this is a gradual process.

Set yourself a goal / pick a race and train according to a plan. Be realistic about it.

Don't compare yourself to anyone but yourself.

And most importantly, enjoy it! We are privileged to be able to run.

This is my Oprah speech for today.

Another question: The main reason for starting running is to train in a limited time during the week. You guys doing cycling and running - how will running improve my cycling? EmptyB said it improved his cycling pace and climbing - what is the rest of your experiences?

Yip . also the same regarding the shoes and watch. :clap: :clap:

Running with Asics Cumulus 17. Good so far.

Next pair perhaps a bit more trail oriented as most of my running is on the flat MTB trails and jeeptrack. Things are quite rocky in Windhoek

I am lucky enough to live 300 meter form our cycling/recreational area.

http://www.farmwindhoek.com/

Also got a decent (for me) running watch from the wife for Xams. Garmin FR35

Also logging everything.

Just worried about my bikes . . . . some are being ridden much less, standing with flat tires. Terrible I tell you. :blush:

As long as you are exercising, that’s the important thing.

Don’t worry your bikes will survive, just turn the wheels 90 degrees every few days.....to prevent flat spots ????

Even better try ride once a week to keep some saddle fitness, even if it’s just a recovery ride. At least your bum will still be familiar with the saddle....

Another question: The main reason for starting running is to train in a limited time during the week. You guys doing cycling and running - how will running improve my cycling? EmptyB said it improved his cycling pace and climbing - what is the rest of your experiences?

The time thing is what mainly got me running, we had two kids and heading out for a ride at 6am and coming back around lunch time was just not really fair on the family - in running terms you get a similar workout and are back around 8/9 no problem. Midweek it's obviously even easier as you can always sneak in a 30/40 minute run, while a decent ride (2 hours) is not so easy.

It's the same reason for a lot of people.

Definitely made me stronger on the bike, power to weight ratio generally goes up as running is better at burning fat, the gut in particular. Legs get better all round conditioning as you use a wider more balanced range of muscles. Core will generally get a lot stronger too. Even mental strength gets a big boost, running is physically so much harder on the body you will find riding a lot less challenging... there are no free km's when running. 

Just try be vigilant with your stretching, I've struggled swapping between the two in the past, cycling tightened up my quads which often created issues on the runs thereafter...

Lastly, a note that I have not ridden much these last few years - plan on fixing that this year though as my girls are a little older and I'm hoping to have a bit more time for it.