ScottCM

Had a little trot on my treadmill this morning... was quite lekker. Mornings are getting lighter, so will be back on the road soon, but think where this will really help is with night/evening sessions.

Just need to get the syncing in place between my Garmin and the Treadmill - Garmin gave me a generous 3km's for my 30minutes this morning  :w00t:

• Replies 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to a chiro now for about 10 times over the last 2 and a half months. I pronate badly on my right side and I regularly have glute pain on my right side. The sessions made a huge difference and I feel lighter on my feet when running.

I agree with Paddaman, if you have alignment issues a chiro can help. My next step is to go to a Biokineticist to make my right side stronger.

The chiro said to me the camber of the road is a huge problem for runners. He suggests to alternate the sides of the road when running (I know this is dangerous and you won't see the cars when running on the left hand side)

I switched to running in the centre of the road many years ago. I usually run when there is hardly any traffic so I can hear cars coming behind me. I just glide to the right or the left depending on where the car is coming from. I may have to rethink this when electric cars are more prevalent

I switched to running in the centre of the road many years ago. I usually run when there is hardly any traffic so I can hear cars coming behind me. I just glide to the right or the left depending on where the car is coming from. I may have to rethink this when electric cars are more prevalent

Running in the middle of the road

Shocking

????

Edited by SwissVan

I went for a run outside this morning for the first time in a few weeks (since the joburg freeze began...) 

It was SO good, reminded me of just how numbing it can be on a treadmill, and just how awesome it is to be outdoors again, even if for just an hour.

Edit: Mr Steer, this is not meant as a dig at your mill..)

Edited by CBlake

I went for a run outside this morning for the first time in a few weeks (since the joburg freeze began...) 

It was SO good, reminded me of just how numbing it can be on a treadmill, and just how awesome it is to be outdoors again, even if for just an hour.

Haha... listen, I don't think anybody wants to pretend a treadmill is anywhere near as good as the real thing. I see it as a necessary evil in reality. Just an extra option for days when a run didn't work out. Also nice for my wife from a safety aspect... it's not as easy for her to head out alone at funny hours.

I run at least 3 days a week outside and 1 day is on a treadmill (speed work), each has it's place!

You should try running during the big freeze... it can be invigorating! :)

I run at least 3 days a week outside and 1 day is on a treadmill (speed work), each has it's place!

You should try running during the big freeze... it can be invigorating! :)

I fully back the - theres no bad weather, just bad clothes philosophy - as I know you do too..

Saying that I am woefully light on winter clothes. But I'm very good summer days athlete :) 

I run mostly on the pavement (as I commute-run) which is in some places very uneven, which is good to prevent overuse on the knee

Did the pre run of the Midrand striders half marathon today.

Good news ... it is a new route... still a tough route but very nice.

Got about 6-7 km of dirt roads in the second half

Less than 4 weeks to my Comrades qualifier and despite having come off a short and mild bout of bronchitis and a recurring ITB niggle, I'm feeling really good. The last week of training is something I was never expecting to do as i managed a little over 118km, over a time of 10h36 at an average 5'22". In my mind, running a sub 3h40 qualifier seems quite possible at the moment. All i need is a minimum drop of 5" per km, and since the atmosphere and fresher legs will assist, I'm really looking forward to it. Maybe I do enjoy running - who knew? ☺

You guys looking for a good legs workout.. head to the trails..

We ran the 18km trail at Klipriviersberg yesterday, 600 something m of ascent. Which I know isn't crazy compared to what the hillier regions in SA offer, but was still more than I'm used to.

Sort of half lunge, half single leg squatting all the way up 3 of those koppies.. my pins were on FIRE!

Feeling like I did some work good today.

You guys looking for a good legs workout.. head to the trails..

We ran the 18km trail at Klipriviersberg yesterday, 600 something m of ascent. Which I know isn't crazy compared to what the hillier regions in SA offer, but was still more than I'm used to.

Sort of half lunge, half single leg squatting all the way up 3 of those koppies.. my pins were on FIRE!

Feeling like I did some work good today.

...and coming down is a great workout for the quads! And legspeed/cadence... 

After my little hammie niggle my quads have been absolutely knackered. I'm guessing I'm compensating muscles while the hamstring heals properly.

Still no speed work for at least the next 2 weeks.. But I'm throwing in some fast miles in my run just to improve the cardio.... Mini speed sessions I call them

After my little hammie niggle my quads have been absolutely knackered. I'm guessing I'm compensating muscles while the hamstring heals properly.

Still no speed work for at least the next 2 weeks.. But I'm throwing in some fast miles in my run just to improve the cardio.... Mini speed sessions I call them

Perhaps you just need to Stretch a little more before your runs. 

need a new daily trainer as my existing pairs are both over 1100km (might also have been a contributor to my hammie strain!)

pulled the trigger on a pair of Puma speed 500 ignites. If they don't work out then..they were only 60 euros but i have been itching to try them. Very much a short distance shoe so they should do the job for my daily runs. will have to do a report back on build quality and feel