ScottCM

The problem you have ... is if you do go a 'specialized' running store and use the old wise beings for their IP, and then head to sportmans warehouse to buy said recommended shoe only to give a student commission they didn't earn, its a bit of a douche move. Thrifty, but eh.

Use your points for clothes or whatever, but support the little guys.

(Please don't take this as a personal attack)

I just bought a set of Nimbus 21’s a few weeks back from Run Store in Bellville. Had a fantastic chat with the very knowledgeable salesman including a session on the treadmill to analyse my gait and checking it again afterwards in my new shoes. At no time was I rushed or made to feel as if my business wasn’t important. How much would I have saved if I bought the same shoes from SW? R1.

• Replies 17.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More info on the hydration pack please. Am considering doing the Cape Town Marathon with a hydration pack but the one I’ve been using is quite bulky and heavy.

https://www.aonijie.info/running-waistcoats

I have the 5L Withwind one, if you need to fit in more jackets and stuff the 10L Wind Runner would be the choice.

Detail review - https://trailmag.co.za/aonijie-withwind-5l-review/

There is also a few nice reviews on youtube.

You can order direct or from Takelot.  I get 25% discount on takelot, so it was a bargian.

Thanks Jackes. See there are a few shops in the area that actually keep stock. Would love to fit the 2.5 or 5l before blindly ordering online.

Hi, any advise on decent shoes for someone >100kg, mostly park- and Myrun on tar and some gravel / cattletrack?

Looking to use shoe booster, so that might limit me to the 2 providers.

I want to sort of know what I need to look for when going to the shop.

Thanks

Find a Sportsman Warehouse that has the equipment to check how your foot hits the ground, and a bit more. They’ll then be able to tell you which range of shoes will fit/suit your foot.

I did mine at the Boksburg store. They aren’t a small shop with the expertise but it’s morally better than using the small store for their IP and then going to SW to buy a pair.

I’m not that serious a runner that I need the best possible shoe, but I do believe that getting a shoe that fits is important. I did it more than 2 years ago, but only running for 20 months, with no foot problems.

Next step, based on some feedback I got from a small shop owner, is to correct my running technique... #heelstriker

these two points , please take note of them, dont listen to you friends who say xyz shoes are the best , go find what works for you.

THis

Has anyone done the 22km Peace Trail run they usually have the day before CT Marathon?  My wife is doing CT but I'm not ready for a marathon yet so figured I'd do the trail run the day before.  But I'm hearing this isn't just a little stroll along some gravel roads like the Trail runs we get in Pretoria so now I'm getting a bit worried!

The problem you have ... is if you do go a 'specialized' running store and use the old wise beings for their IP, and then head to sportmans warehouse to buy said recommended shoe only to give a student commission they didn't earn, its a bit of a douche move. Thrifty, but eh.

The other thing to bear in mind is that often the sales reps at the big franchise stores are incentivised by the brands. i.e. sell the most New Balance 1080 this month and win a free trip to Cape Town. So you may end up being guided towards a shoe that isn't actually suitable.

The small owner-run stores tend to spend more time and have more experience. They're also keen to retain you as a customer so it's important to them to get it right. That alone is worth far more than the extra R100 one will pay over a mass brand price. In my experience, though, the pricing is actually pretty similar most of the time.

Some running stores offer paid running gait analysis (SBR comes to mind). So if you pay a couple of hundred bucks for the assessment, you don't feel so guilty when you use that shoe booster.

Next step, based on some feedback I got from a small shop owner, is to correct my running technique... #heelstriker

Interesting topic, is it really possible and how exactly do you do this?

Asking for a friend, seriously

Anyone here doing Mandela Marathon/21/10? I'm seeing stories that the registration is badly run...no tshirts when everyone is meant to get a tshirt. Also heard that the water etc for water tables hasn't been delivered and there may be no refreshments on Sunday??

Interesting topic, is it really possible and how exactly do you do this?

Asking for a friend, seriously

I recorded video while running on a treadmill - recording all 4 sides. I then sent it to the coach (who isn’t my coach yet) for an analysis.

His slow motion commentary reveals quite a bit, of which core strength (or the lack of it) and fatigue results in my heel striking first. If I concentrate on the technique, I clearly hit the ground on the middle part of my foot, slightly on the outside and roll inward.

I’m also a bit too upright instead of leaning forward.

Has anyone done the 22km Peace Trail run they usually have the day before CT Marathon? My wife is doing CT but I'm not ready for a marathon yet so figured I'd do the trail run the day before. But I'm hearing this isn't just a little stroll along some gravel roads like the Trail runs we get in Pretoria so now I'm getting a bit worried!

It's not tough technical terrain, but it's a fair bit of single track with rock typical of the signal hill area. The route is fairly challenging fitness wise with a bit of uphill to get around signal hill and then to come back up from the Glen. You should be fine, maybe.

Has anyone done the 22km Peace Trail run they usually have the day before CT Marathon?  My wife is doing CT but I'm not ready for a marathon yet so figured I'd do the trail run the day before.  But I'm hearing this isn't just a little stroll along some gravel roads like the Trail runs we get in Pretoria so now I'm getting a bit worried!

I marshall at high level road for that every year... It is definitely not flat gravel roads, but it is a fantastic event. Cut off times are very generous so enjoy the views, soak it all up and have a ball, the way trail running is meant to be!

I recorded video while running on a treadmill - recording all 4 sides. I then sent it to the coach (who isn’t my coach yet) for an analysis.

His slow motion commentary reveals quite a bit, of which core strength (or the lack of it) and fatigue results in my heel striking first. If I concentrate on the technique, I clearly hit the ground on the middle part of my foot, slightly on the outside and roll inward.

I’m also a bit too upright instead of leaning forward.

Interesting, what is the technique?

What i'm wondering about is if its possible to change technique effectively on a permanent basis and how long it takes to achieve...like you say while you concentrate yes, but once you start getting fatigued or forget then your body returns to its natural way.

Certainly core and muscle assessment / improvement can address certain issues.

Let us know how it goes 

Anyone here doing Mandela Marathon/21/10? I'm seeing stories that the registration is badly run...no tshirts when everyone is meant to get a tshirt. Also heard that the water etc for water tables hasn't been delivered and there may be no refreshments on Sunday??

Not doing it, but I'm in Pmb and haven't heard anything like that from anyone I know doing it

Interesting, what is the technique?

What i'm wondering about is if its possible to change technique effectively on a permanent basis and how long it takes to achieve...like you say while you concentrate yes, but once you start getting fatigued or forget then your body returns to its natural way.

Certainly core and muscle assessment / improvement can address certain issues.

Let us know how it goes 

I sent a mail to ask for tips on how to maintain my cycling form (strong enough to race age group, VB - finish with the bunch, and not get dropped, like I used to be able to do) and also run a good half marathon within the same set of training blocks, without compromising either. I don't want to do a triathlon program, because I currently have no ambition to do a 70.3, but might do in a a few years from now.

Three questions came back:

1. What does my previous and current training diary look like;
  2. What are my goals, i.e. times for both disciplines;
  3. How much time do I have to train in the week - honestly, not what I hope, but what will I actually do (including the life-happens stuff).

After sending that, another question on how "I" think I will drop 57 seconds per Km to achieve a sub 1:40 half marathon time (on a flattish course). Intervals, strength training, speed work, etc., to which I was asked to upload the video. They said I don't have to change my training plan too much, as the training load will take care of that, but I need to work on my technique. As a newbie runner (less than 2 years), they say it might be easier to get the correct technique without it feeling too awkward/uncomfortable. 

One tip given so far is to run barefoot on the grass, and pretend I am running on hot coals - keep the knees up, toes on the ground for minimal time. See how that feels, and I'll get a feel of what it should feel like. Tonight's run was on the road, as the lights at the rugby club weren't on, but I made a conscious effort to try run on my toes.

As for the core - If laziness was a segment on Strava, I'd probably have the KOM. 10 minutes 3-4 times a week is all they recommend. Then some gym work too, as I am also lazy above the hips.

I'm still waiting for the reply on how best to balance the training between the two - but I suspect that will come at a cost, which is okay if I can achieve my goal.