MTO Trails - Jonkershoek (an update on Jonkershoek)

BobbyBehan

Finally rode the 'plumber' black trail on the weekend.

Definitely up there in terms of gnarlyness.

Up top its quite steep with drop offs at funny angles so you really need good control of the bike.

Did all but one drop off which seemed over vert and it looked like I was going to crank stall it so opted to rather come back with full face helmet.

Also the rocky section is dangerous as hell - again I would have preferred to have full face with me.

The jumps all looked amazing - even the big step up. Sadly the wind was pumping so gave most of them a skip but will be back soon.

All in all, a VERY tech and dangerous trail but tonnes of fun and progression. Literally dozens of features. Be sure to walk it first. 

Also did red trail again as well. Super fun but it is has taken a beating. Will be amazing this winter.

Edited by Brawler

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I hope it bedded nicely, but there will still be some ruts

So long as it's no longer like riding on a very fine sandy beach :S

So long as it's no longer like riding on a very fine sandy beach :S

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST!

2 wheel drift, baby!

Yoh! terrifying 2 wheel drift in places :P

Trail is awesome, but the red was a little (lot) seriously blown out last I rode it.

Hope the rain has helped compact it a little. Rode a short loop in Majik yesterday and was so super tacky :D

I did a drift on sat afternoon and ended rolling off the bike around the berm in a cloud of dust that looked like a veld fire. LOL

Thank God, no injuries

i convince myself that if someone was to take a picture of me drifting, when initially starting it will look as cool as those seen on the #enduro.com sites but alas, the ending will be dust + smoke + bruises!

I found a multi tool, tire levers and a derailleur hangar on the lower section of Neverending Story today. So if you dropped them PM me and I will let you know where to collect them.

Gordon

• 5 months later...

Howzit guys,

Planning on riding Jonkers on Saturday morning for the the first time in a while. 

Just a quick question regarding the older trails that were damaged. I can gather that parts of Canary are open but does this include the section of old DH trail which led to Flowtrail?

And Firehut....is this trail open to ride?

Cheers!

Not the old dh trail no. Only old old one (nationals) and red phoenix / Bennetts red. Fire hut not fully open yet afaik. Best to ask on Bennet Ace of Spades Nel fb page

Edited firehut status

Edited by Myles Mayhew

AFAIK the old DH into flow is gone for now but there is major building work on the go right now.

The top three Canaries are all open and riding better than ever. 

The Red Phoenix has bedded in nicely and riding well after the first winter rain.

Never ending Story is open and may have seen some work this month.

The lower Firehut trail is open and I think they are busy on the upper sections now.