Motorcycles + Two-strokes + IOMTT talk

nathrix

Interestingly there are a couple of very fast "Road Racing Doctors" on the circuit during the race to get to an emergency situation as fast as possible

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was insane! That he had the presence of mind or luck or combination of both to counter steer whilst in the air is the only thing that has saved him! 

His leathers must need a wash after that!

• 2 weeks later...
Published on Jun 16, 2017

Experience Sulby Straight at the Isle of Man TT aboard the carbon-fibre framed BMW HP4 RACE. Professional BMW Motorrad racer Peter Hickman rides flat out in sixth, bouncing off the rev limiter. Filmed on a closed road during an official racing event at the Isle of Man TT 2017.

http://www.visordown.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/P90254449_highRes_bmw-hp4-race-04-2017.jpg?itok=7ickdmc5

More than ever I'm convinced that the top guys could literally do this course with their eyes closed for vast portions of it! It requires an intimate knowledge of the layout and the condition of the road throughout the lap, measured back to within the limit of your own handling against the speed you're doing! Simply next level crazy!!!!!

More than ever I'm convinced that the top guys could literally do this course with their eyes closed for vast portions of it! It requires an intimate knowledge of the layout and the condition of the road throughout the lap, measured back to within the limit of your own handling against the speed you're doing! Simply next level crazy!!!!!

It's funny (amazing) watching and listening to the top riders talking through a lap.

"You've got to be flat out just before the kerb, wheelie over the lump by the drain cover, use the zebra crossing to slide before pinning it 4mm from the drystone wall".

Obviously my poetic license, but not that far from the matter of fact way the death defying lap is usually described.

For a few years I have feared the TT as TV has given the riders solid, down to earth, interesting personalities (Conor Cummins, Hutchinson, McGuinness and of course Guy Martin) so I would be very glum if one fell to the TT, which claims a few each year.  The interview with McGuinness and his uncertainty about retirement made the room suddenly dusty.

• 5 months later...

Sorry if this is slightly off topic but it is "Two-stroke Motorcycle" related  :blush:  My Dad started me with off road bikes back in '85 at age 5. In '05 I had a bad accident and badly injured knee. In '06 I had another bad one with a badly injured wrist. Because of priorities and responsibilities I decided to quit riding dirt bikes. I Own a automotive engineering workshop and I'm very passionate about engines, two-strokes in particular. The other day after repairing a crankshaft of a YZ 85 I was looking at the old conrod and got the idea of making this. I Thought you guys might like or get a laugh out of it  :D    

post-62204-0-02255300-1511964092_thumb.jpg

post-62204-0-41390600-1511964118_thumb.jpg

post-62204-0-03271000-1511964129_thumb.jpg

Awesome!  When I was an Engineer-in-training at Iscor in the 90's we used to melt down old pistons and make random aluminium parts for the bikes we rode.  I don't have a nice close-up but the Steering damper knob on my Cafe racer was made out of old Yamaha pistons......

Edited by Andymann