Motorcyclist and cyclist killed in collision on Tokai Rd M3 on-ramp

Sidmouth

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove passed it this morning, was horrible.

Looked like a very mangled commuter bike and a fairly intact motorbike, 2 bodies under blankets.

Commuters often use that little stretch of M3 but there is a huge yellow line so who knows how it happened.

Don't know the road layout but I can speculate. 1. Cyclist on a freeway which is against the law and 2. Biker speeding in the yellow line cause he doesn't want to split which is also against the law.

Both made the wrong decision (and yes) I do blame the lack of respect of the law and the lack of policing for this.

RIP to both

Don't know the road layout but I can speculate. 1. Cyclist on a freeway which is against the law and 2. Biker speeding in the yellow line cause he doesn't want to split which is also against the law.

Both made the wrong decision (and yes) I do blame the lack of respect of the law and the lack of policing for this.

RIP to both

Are you sure its against the law to split? 

We had an argument the other day, and the one biker said it is allowed as long as he does not speed, and if he does not go faster than 15 km/h faster than the traffic...... 

In my biking days i only weaved at the traffic lights.

It happened on the "on ramp", for that to happen, either a head on or someone was going really, really fast.

Very sad accident.

RIP.

We had an argument the other day, and the one biker said it is allowed as long as he does not speed, and if he does not go faster than 15 km/h faster than the traffic...... 

In my biking days i only weaved at the traffic lights

Totally legal .

Legal to split. Illegal to use the emergency lane. Onramp, same setup. What was the cyclist doing there and why was the biker speeding?!

It is legal, I think he refers to the biker riding in the yellow lane, which is not.

Either way RIP to both.

i read it that biker was riding illegal in the yellow lane not that lane splitting is illegal. Lane Splitting/Filtering is Legal.

looks like it was about here - 

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-34.0602923,18.4481639,3a,75y,10.06h,89.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHgTS49u6ry3ZPdLq29ossg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Whilst i know it's illegal to ride on the freeway - the lack of proper alternatives do make it the only feasible way for many commuters. I don't like to speculate, but it could well have been the cyclist moving from the highway/bridge side to the yellow line, and the motorbiker coming up from tokai road to join the onramp. a cyclist has to cross moving traffic in these places and probably the most dangerous part of riding on a freeway

edit: RIP to both, terrible news to hear,

looks like it was about here - 

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-34.0602923,18.4481639,3a,75y,10.06h,89.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHgTS49u6ry3ZPdLq29ossg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Whilst i know it's illegal to ride on the freeway - the lack of proper alternatives do make it the only feasible way for many commuters. I don't like to speculate, but it could well have been the cyclist moving from the highway/bridge side to the yellow line, and the motorbiker coming up from tokai road to join the onramp. a cyclist has to cross moving traffic in these places and probably the most dangerous part of riding on a freeway

edit: RIP to both, terrible news to hear,

That's what I think happened looking at where the bodies were lying. Speed must have had a role

Archived