Cyclists attacked with sjambok

Rocket-Boy

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a pic on bakkiesblad this morning of a taxi passing cyclist, and the driver was also swinging a sjambok out the window. 

How do you dare to think about that you racist!!!  :ph34r:  :whistling:  

I have to agree. If it was the other way around it would have been cover news for weeks, with a dedicated DSTV channel. 

or white on white hatred :eek:  :ph34r:

No. The point is exactly to compare and show up our intolerant behaviour, be it from cyclists or drivers. There is a better way and if the French can do it, so can we. All about learning and growing up.

As much as I agree with you on learning from the best examples and then putting that into practice, to expect that to happen when we living in a country with much greater challenges then France is asking for nirvana and never reaching it.

my point exactly - where a portion of the road has been set aside blah blah blah ...... the pavement is not part of the road and thats what the cycle path along Marine Drive is... it is the pavement. btw i still use it if i am riding 'lone ranger'.

As far as Marine Drive is concerned, in principle I hate that narrow lane BUT I use it because there are sections of that road with no yellow line AND taking the risk is not worth it.

I have cycled on Marine Drive in the road and the (intolerant) few have hooted and shouted to let me know I (cyclist) have a lane (track) specially made to ride on, so their insistence I MUST use it. The reality is that is precisely the way motorists think and I will not risk my life knowing that fact. Like it or not.

That is not a pavement, but a clearly marked cyclepath. There is a "pavement" between the road and the cyclelane.  You should not try and "interpret the law" just follow it

However riding left of the yellow line basically illegal.

the cycle lanes in Ctown and lower main rd salt river are cycles lanes.

the pavement on marine drive has been there as long as marine drive has been there. painting a white line down the middle doenst turn it into part of the road.

On the issue of taxis (and trucks) that pass too close for comfort, I experienced a few of these incidents and continue to do so (unfortunately).

On the opportunity where I caught up to them (at the next robot or stop street) I very politely (using as much colloquial tongue as possible) asked them to consider me too and allow me some space please (with a smile mind you) AND I have never had anything other than an apology.

We have to initiate the change we want to see.

Being hard arsed about this problem will not solve anything other than getting peoples heckles up even more.

"However riding left of the yellow line basically illegal."

Does this comment apply to cyclists? I know it does to motorists. Not sure what Niner meant by this.