Cyclists attacked with sjambok

Rocket-Boy

the cycle lanes in Ctown and lower main rd salt river are cycles lanes.

the pavement on marine drive has been there as long as marine drive has been there. painting a white line down the middle doenst turn it into part of the road.

Point taken. But its obvious that someone in the Municipality was trying to make it safer for cyclists and thus the lane (that is NOT part of the road) created for cyclists.

Question "If we acknowledge this (in some's opinion, feeble) attempt to improve our safety, should we then say 'No, spend a few more million and make the road wider to accommodate us?'."

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken. But its obvious that someone in the Municipality was trying to make it safer for cyclists and thus the lane (that is NOT part of the road) created for cyclists.

Question "If we acknowledge this (in some's opinion, feeble) attempt to improve our safety, should we then say 'No, spend a few more million and make the road wider to accommodate us?'."

Are you not talking about the dedicated cycle lane that runs all the way to Blaawberg?

"However riding left of the yellow line basically illegal."

Does this comment apply to cyclists? I know it does to motorists. Not sure what Niner meant by this.

Here is the extract from the PPA website

Roadway is elsewhere defined as the area between the two yelow lanes.

Another LAW that most cyclist break is the reflector.

Duties of cyclists

3. (1) A cyclist riding on a public road must—

(a) if the road has a pedal cycle lane, ride only in the pedal cycle lane and may not ride on any other portion of a public road except when crossing the road; or

(b) if there is no pedal cycle lane, ride—

(i) to the left of the left edge of the roadway; or

(ii) on the roadway, keeping as close as practicable to the left edge of the roadway

(a) the pedal cycle is fitted on the front with a white retro-reflector in accordance with regulation 186(3) of the National Regulations; and

(b) the pedal cycle is fitted on the rear with a red retro-reflector in accordance with regulation 187(4) of the National Regulations

By reading this I understand that cyclist must ride to the far left of the ROADWAY and not on the SHOULDER

Here is the definition of the roadway

Quoted from the act.

"roadway"

means that portion of a road, street or thoroughfare improved, constructed or intended for vehicular traffic which is between the edges of the roadway;

"shoulder"

means that portion of a road, street or thoroughfare between the edge of the roadway and the kerb line;

Edited by Niner

you are only obliged to use the cycles lanes when they form part of the ROAD - the 'cycle lanes' next to Marine Drive are pavements with a line down the middle and is used by all non motorised transport and pedestrians. 

my point exactly - where a portion of the road has been set aside blah blah blah ...... the pavement is not part of the road and thats what the cycle path along Marine Drive is... it is the pavement. btw i still use it if i am riding 'lone ranger'.

you need to use your common sense a little here.

I have used that road and cycle lane to commute to work for close on 12 years.

That stretch of road is incredibly dangerous, just look at all the bent lamp posts, barricades and crosses along that road. 

There is a properly functioning cycle lane that we can very comfortably cycle 3 abreast on, it is certainly wide enough.

You note other users on the lane, yes they are there, but they are certainly not in any way a danger or hazard to you the cyclist. I say this from experience. Get a bell or whistle to alert the pedestrians you are approaching from behind them.

We often have 12 or more riders in our commute group, can travel at speed and navigate any pedestrians / other lane users with ease.

Use the cycle lane please.

Can't help but wonder what the motivation for these assaults were? Imagine if this was white on black violence - how the press, especially the CT would have got hold of it, as they did in the Osrin matter.

And THAT (along with his likeminded brothers) is responsible for defending this country.

God help us.

Yes indeed!  This is what is saving us "from peril on the sea"

+10000000000000000!

In my defense on this issue...It would have been to blame apartheid...because back in the day sjamboks were used to control the few unruly members of society...from the top of  casper...buffel etc.

i witnessed as a crowd of about 5000+ attacking us (14 members) with sticks... pangas and burning tyres at the Chesterville police station KZN in 1987...scariest day of my life...was never that poop scared at any stage during the 20 months spent in angola in the bush war 2 years prior.

the mere sight of those caspers and buffels coming over that hill armed with sjamboks and tear gas...was such a relief...had to go wash my pants and boots after that ordeal...if those vehicles arrived 10 minutes later i dont believe i would be sitting here typing...we had literally no more ammo and only a fence between us and the mob.

nothing has changed the defense force is still attacking the public with sjamboks :(

In my defense on this issue...It would have been to blame apartheid...because back in the day sjamboks were used to control the few unruly members of society...from the top of  casper...buffel etc.

i witnessed as a crowd of about 5000+ attacking us (14 members) with sticks... pangas and burning tyres at the Chesterville police station KZN in 1987...scariest day of my life...was never that poop scared at any stage during the 20 months spent in angola in the bush war 2 years prior.

the mere sight of those caspers and buffels coming over that hill armed with sjamboks and tear gas...was such a relief...had to go wash my pants and boots after that ordeal...if those vehicles arrived 10 minutes later i dont believe i would be sitting here typing...we had literally no more ammo and only a fence between us and the mob.

nothing has changed the defense force is still attacking the public with sjamboks :(

Heheheee. Sad but true in this instance. Very funny  isetech. Thanx for making me see some humour in the madness.

Are you not talking about the dedicated cycle lane that runs all the way to Blaawberg?

Yes. Ride it regularly on my way doing the Melkbos route.

Thanx for the update Niner. Appreciated.

I admit to switching onto the road and riding just inside the yellow line. During the day you do find lots of school kids walking sections of that track. Now I'm wondering if I am breaking some law or the other. And God forbid, I have an incident and then get told I should have been on the cycle track.

Yes. Ride it regularly on my way doing the Melkbos route.

Thanx for the update Niner. Appreciated.

I admit to switching onto the road and riding just inside the yellow line. During the day you do find lots of school kids walking sections of that track. Now I'm wondering if I am breaking some law or the other. And God forbid, I have an incident and then get told I should have been on the cycle track.

That is a dedicated cycle lane, so you HAVE to use it. unfortunately Like it or not.

Edit: I also cycle left of the yellow line, thus "on the shoulder" as I feel safer there. It is just interesting what the rules say.

Edited by Niner

Going of on a tangent here.

What do think the media's reaction would have been if it was white guys swinging the sjamboks?

Would the silence from their side be deafening, as it is now, or will it be front page all over shouting WHITE RACIST'S ?

Same with the Elsenburg incident. What if it was one of the white students who used a sjambok on the "protestors"?

Can't help but wonder what the motivation for these assaults were? Imagine if this was white on black violence - how the press, especially the CT would have got hold of it, as they did in the Osrin matter.

I assume you don't read the Cape Argus - it's the lead story on the front page....

Not exactly ignoring it

Ok, went to look at the headline. Did not see anything of "Black Racist's attack innocent White cyclist's and runners with Sjamboks"  :ph34r:

What you you were looking for "Black Racist's attack innocent White cyclist's and runners with Sjamboks" and

What actually happened - "Navy men attack cyclist's and runners with Sjamboks".

Some of us read only what we expect to see.

You should pause your Garmin.

How is the radio silence in Cape Times........ Not even a mention!

So we have white students sjambokked in Eastern Cape, Western Cape and white cyclists/pedestrians in Capetown. Nothing.............front page today - transformation in Rugby.

Imagine it was white on black assault!!!!!!!! So tired of the blind eye turned by Cape Times.