Drop bars - do you use the 'drops'?

NotSoBigBen

Drops on road bikes  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the drops on your road bike bars?

• Yes
    • No
    • I wish they came with flat bars

It's a practice thing. Road bars give loads of riding positions and I find them much more comfortable than mtb bars where you are pretty much stuck in one position.

But you have to get a proper fit and find bars the correct width and with a bend that suits you. The newish compact bars with a shallow bend is my choice.

Then you need to become accustomed to the position. When base training I force myself to ride half an hour in the drops and then half an hour on the hoods. Do that for four hours and you will be amazed how painful it gets but also how quickly you become adapted to the position.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never could ride in the drops because of the "boep" being in the way.  Now I'm lovin it. Feels a lot saver going down hills.

At the recent meals on wheels race, it took me 2h30, and I spent 2h25 of that in the drops.

You have more control in the drops, not less.  More modulation on the brakes, better control of the steering, and your center of gravity is lower.  You also catch less wind, so you catch fewer gusts in heavy wind.

I'd like drops on my MTB (or maybe moustache bars) for the extra positions.

Hardly used the full drops.  Changed my bars to "half drops" and it is now more comfortable than ever.

I find when spending a long time in the drops my neck muscles ache from constantly looking up.

on the drops all the time unless hard climbing

more comfort more control better handling better aero

bike setup must be right though

"if your back hurts in the drops and your setup is right see rule #5"

Drops for descents, hard and fast racing and crit's. Hoods matched with flat top bars for most other things esp when sitting on the front tapping out a solid TT type position / effort.

I find when spending a long time in the drops my neck muscles ache from constantly looking up.

Ah, there's a trick:

1. move your eyes up, not your head.

2. move your chin forward, not your head back and up.

3. don't use a MTB visor

edit: added the visor

well dos it make me look stupid if Im doing a 90km ride with no place to get water, 

That's what bidons are for!

Hate drops. Once converted a road bike to flats for this reason. But came to realise that road bars offer you more grip positions than mtb bars do.

I use my drops a little more than I used to, I think this is because I've fitted bars with a more comfortable bend.

I still don't feel confident on the brakes when in the drops, maybe it's a set-up issue.

Archived