News bot

Actually the more I think about it the better it is.. even if not all of the local guys get to ride the big races, just training with these guys will be beneficial to them.. we are talking some serious experience between the seasoned squad members .???? it can be only good for them in the long run. And I think Cav will be more motivated than ever having his boys back together.. it's like a boy band reunion.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the more I think about it the better it is.. even if not all of the local guys get to ride the big races, just training with these guys will be beneficial to them.. we are talking some serious experience between the seasoned squad members . it can be only good for them in the long run. And I think Cav will be more motivated than ever having his boys back together.. it's like a boy band reunion.

I agree ! Some of these Afrrican riders would never have seen a Major Tour with any other team but now they are team mates with some of the best in the world.

I was initially against the concept of one of the greats hijacking our team in his twilight years.

I think there will definitely be some disappointing aspects of this refocus, but long term this has to be a good move for the team.

At least he'll have to post here under another handle....

Yip, we'll demand a reply when he doesn't win every grand tour stage he races in...

#doyouknowwhoweare!  :lol:

I think DD..will have to do a country wide tour to show off their new kit. .. and signings. .. but I expect them to go all lead out train on the N12[emoji106]

I think the pros outweight the cons.  Definately a world star which grabs the headlines.  Lets hope he is not on the downward spiral now.  Renshaw is an awesome leadout man.  I wonder if he can help Edvald.  I rate Edvald, he is a serious sprinter with a great future.  How many years left on his Qhubeka contract? 

I rate Edvald, he is a serious sprinter with a great future.  How many years left on his Qhubeka contract? 

One year remaining.

Some saying that this is great for the team and sponsors but perhaps going backwards for the 'African' team and African cycling development. I guess only time will tell ....

Some saying that this is great for the team and sponsors but perhaps going backwards for the 'African' team and African cycling development. I guess only time will tell ....

Can you please substantiate your reasons why this will be going backwards ?

Watched Super Cycling last night, and that Ryder chap is no fool. He knows what he's doing, and it looks very much like every move is well calculated...

He wouldn't have signed him without very good reason. Whether it's for Cav to perform on the bike, or for everything else that he brings to the table, like event entry invites, massive amounts of exposure for the team etc etc...

Can you please substantiate your reasons why this will be going backwards ?

I didn't say that myself although I did say I am undecided on what the consequence will be. Just see commentary to this on Tweeta which of course could also just be a load of codswallop?

It seems as more the teams get into the upper levels they have to adapt to be able to perform, compete and most importantly win. Don't forget that is the key for any team and the ROI for any sponsor and so team survival. 

Look at Sky, that is supposed to be a british team and they have a core of english riders and pull through young talent from the feeder programs but most of the team is international and getting more so. OGE was 'Australia's Team' and the same thing is there. 

To be honest the teams that have kept very 'local' have struggled to get to the constant performance levels talent and expereince that is needed to be a top tier team, French and Spanish in particular. 

If the aim of the team is to win AND develop riders (who will jump ship to further their career) then you need mentors, winners, sponsors, exposure, hype and access to international events and racing. 

In some way the development angle has already been a success as it's taken LM off to a world tour team who will have him as a protected GC rider. What they have done it a short time has been phenomenal.