[Event] 2016 Cape Town Cycle Tour

News bot

Yep its a 7:40 start .. all of 35 minutes later than my original start time of 7:05 ....

BUT my 13 year old son also got in ... and it 2 hours earlier than his original start of 9:36 (ok almost 2 hours)

which means .. we not chasing cut offs ...  :thumbup:

that motivation  ,,,, well ...thats a whole different story .. and it probably depends on who is reading it as well. .... i am very fortunate to get 2 spots 2 years in a row :) ...

Glad it worked out for you guys. Wonder what happens to your early slot now...can we swap :ph34r:

Edited by Ferromone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone crack an invite to the PPA start group 0745?

Would've been an improvement on my start time.

Wonder what some of the fortunate one's motivation letters were...

Yep its a 7:40 start .. all of 35 minutes later than my original start time of 7:05 ....

BUT my 13 year old son also got in ... and it 2 hours earlier than his original start of 9:36 (ok almost 2 hours)

which means .. we not chasing cut offs ...  :thumbup:

that motivation  ,,,, well ...thats a whole different story .. and it probably depends on who is reading it as well. .... i am very fortunate to get 2 spots 2 years in a row :) ...

I read through 1,249 letters last year to select 200 of the best. Stories ranged from well motivated essays to a complete blank in motivation. So actually not 1,249 but about 900 (the blanks were ignored).

I recommended the best to my committee who chose the most valid. But it is a k@k job as over a thousand were disappointed.  And my team and I then had an additional 200 emails expressing this disappointment at not having been selected.

One particular family with 3 generations all initialled D (2 Davids, a Dawid and a Daniel) was included as they told a good story about riding with dad and granddad. They wrote: I ride safely in our 3-generation team with my brother, my father and my grandfather! But it was a sympathy inclusion as we reckoned it was easier to include all 4 than explain the wrong D had turned up in the group. But at least I eliminated the quandary he faces this year about waiting for his kids or not.

Here aresome of the successful motivations:

As a mother of two children below the age of 10 who love to ride their bikes around the neighbourhood, and as a big proponent of cycling as an affordable means of transport, I would like to help to create awareness amongst motorists and cyclists that we need to treat each other with great respect- because if we are not cautious, very precious lives could be at stake. Proudly riding for the Safe Cycling group provides an opportunity for me to show my committment to the cause!

Safe cycling is a issue I am passionate about as a unit manager of a busy orthopaedic war. I have treated and nursed back to health cyclists who have been involved in accidents and the Safe Cycling campaign creates public awareness regarding the prevention of such accidents and unnecessary loss of life.it would be a privilege and adds enjoyment to the Cape Town Cycle Tour to be part of a group as a Gaunteger!

As a young cyclist (12 years old) I would like to show my support to make cycling a safe and enjoyable sport for all. The Cape Town Cycle Tour (aka Argus) was started to make people aware of cyclist. what a better placxe to show your support

I am a paramedic working for Netcare911 and am very passionate about safety - as for the last 20 years I have seen the results of collisions and people taking unnecessary risks. I will ride and wear the clothing with pride! 

I am a young cyclist who has a chronic illness (chrones desease) and have been training for this race for the last six months with my dad who has completed six argus tours to date.I have set this as goal to prove to myself that even with this desease end can acheive my goals i set for myself.Having a earlier start time will really help me in achieving my goal I am a young enthusiastic cyclist who allways abides by the rules of the road.Pease help me in acheiving my goal of riding with my dad it will relly be appreciated

My wife, was in a terrible cycling accident a few year ago, ever since we have been actively involved in cycling safety wherever the opportunity arises.  We would be honoured to be part of the "Stay Wider of the Rider Awareness Ride".  We will take part in the Awareness Race on 28 February and have ordered cycling shirts.  Please consider both of us to take part in this group.  PS.  My Father-in-law, has also applied to take part in this Awareness Ride, it will be an absolute privilege and blessing to ride with him and my wife.  Many thanks for a wonderful campaign.

I save that for my second lap, my worst is when you are flying at 55km/h past UCT and okes think its a good idea to wave and shout to the fans, which always ends up with a wobble and a touch of wheels. 

I don't care who you are, please keep both your hands on the bars and concentrate until Smitswinkel at least...

Bro, you're way too serious. :lol:  But you can relax, I start behind you and I'm happy with anything under 4 hours.

For many CTCT is about fun, if you want something a little more serious do the one tonner or TransKaroo. Even then those are still all about having fun. 

Bro, you're way too serious. :lol:  But you can relax, I start behind you and I'm happy with anything under 4 hours.

For many CTCT is about fun, if you want something a little more serious do the one tonner or TransKaroo. Even then those are still all about having fun. 

I like having fun, but going to hospital is not my idea of fun. My priorities are Safety > fun > Race 

I like having fun, but going to hospital is not my idea of fun. My priorities are Safety > fun > Race 

Yeah, definitely agree on the safety first thing. You'll be out of action for a long time if you take a dive on the CTCT. 

My youngest daughter is super excited about my seeding. Guess she'll take plenty of pics of my number to give her old man grief over the foreseable future. As a rock lover this is the only time I will ever use these two letters together....

1D :ph34r:  :eek:

Edited by Tubehunter

Like X 100000

So I get this in an email from the MedClinic Team:

"Our records show that you have answered “yes” to the question asking if you suffer from (or have previously suffered from) heart or blood vessel disease, metabolic disease or kidney disease.

We would like to share some important information with you relating to exercising with known heart or blood vessel conditions and/or using heart medication, known metabolic or kidney disease.

Bla bla bla"

Now I don't remember exactly what I answered but it would have been that I have had myocarditis - 7 years ago - and none of the bla bla that follows (watch out, you might die, have a check up, get an ECG) has ANYTHING to do with what was medically wrong with me, or possible consequences.

So, do these guys even know the difference between a viral illness that affected (temporarily, past tense) the heart, and coronary artery disease?!?

Ha ha!

Wonder what other advice is being dished out??

(Glad I didn't know about my osteophytes when I answered that stupid questionnaire.)

Who on earth put this piece of pathetic "research" together and what in-heaven's-name is MediClinic going to get out of it??

I read through 1,249 letters last year to select 200 of the best. Stories ranged from well motivated essays to a complete blank in motivation. So actually not 1,249 but about 900 (the blanks were ignored)................

It must have been a huge undertaking to select the group. If it'll make you feel better, we THOROUGHLY enjoyed riding together last year. In fact, we decided NOT to apply for the Safe Cycling group again this year, purely to give someone else a chance to hopefully do the same.   :thumbup:

I read through 1,249 letters last year to select 200 of the best. Stories ranged from well motivated essays to a complete blank in motivation. So actually not 1,249 but about 900 (the blanks were ignored)....

After reading some of these I fully agree. Thanks for sharing some of them. These were actually all much better than my letter. No worries and thanks for the effort.

Edited by Ferromone

"Our records show that you have answered “yes” to the question asking if you suffer from (or have previously suffered from) heart or blood vessel disease, metabolic disease or kidney disease.

We would like to share some important information with you relating to exercising with known heart or blood vessel conditions and/or using heart medication, known metabolic or kidney disease.

Bla bla bla"

Now I don't remember exactly what I answered but it would have been that I have had myocarditis - 7 years ago - and none of the bla bla that follows (watch out, you might die, have a check up, get an ECG) has ANYTHING to do with what was medically wrong with me, or possible consequences.

So, do these guys even know the difference between a viral illness that affected (temporarily, past tense) the heart, and coronary artery disease?!?

Ha ha!

(Glad I didn't know about my osteophytes when I answered that stupid questionnaire.)

Who on earth put this piece of pathetic "research" together and what in-heaven's-name is MediClinic going to get out of it??

I ticked the "Have you cramped" box, and then had to explain what I do to prevent cramp.

So I ticked "Other", and wrote "Nothing helps with cramps - HTFU!"

They didn't mail me back :(

Bla bla bla"

Ha ha!

se should not have been honest

I ticked the "Have you cramped" box, and then had to explain what I do to prevent cramp.

So I ticked "Other", and wrote "Nothing helps with cramps - HTFU!"

They didn't mail me back :(

That's hilarious

Hahaha

se should not have been honest

Yeah... but, got creative in other areas... not realising how "creative" THEY might be in dishing out medical advice!

Ai,  the seeding is strange - I have been seeded in 5g becaise I have done 11 plus Tours but my wife who has done 1 - the short one last year with me at the same finish time - is seeded for an earlier start than me. And we want to ride together...