Giant warranty claim

Super Sywurm

I have a cracked Giant frame that will be replaced under warranty.  According to the LBS, I have to pay for the stripping of the old frame and the building of the new frame, as well as pay for the new BB.

Is it true that I sould pay for the BB and the labour, or should it be paid under warranty?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a cracked Giant frame that will be replaced under warranty.  According to the LBS, I have to pay for the stripping of the old frame and the building of the new frame, as well as pay for the new BB.

Is it true that I sould pay for the BB and the labour, or should it be paid under warranty?

I had to pay the first time I cracked a frame with Ghost, that's one of the reason I couldn't be bothered second time with the brand when the frame failed again!

The way I understand it, your lbs is quite correct re. the stripping and building up. It is usually not too expensive. Negotiate with them, sometimes they are willing to do it for a reduced fee if you bought the bike from them and you are a good customer. If the new frame cannot accept the old BB, then yes, you will have to buy a new one. This sometimes happen if the same frame is no longer made and no stock is available. The manufacturer then give you a newer frame, and sometimes they are different and all your old bits won't fit. That is not covered by your frame warranty. Btw, Giant is usually pretty good at honouring their commitment re. frame replacements and Dragons Sports, their local agent, also. Often they get the whole thing done in a week or so. Many other brands take months and much hassle. Let your lbs sort it out for you. NB. You do have your proof of purchase, I hope, because that will be needed.

As far as I understand, your LBS does have the right to charge for the rebuild. They are not reimbursed by the frame manufacturer for their labour costs.

That said, when I had a cracked Giant frame, Westdene Cycles did the rebuild for free.

For that very reason I will continue supporting them.

Also, Giant was very good with the frame warantee and I had my bike back within a week.

I also had to pay for my Silverback rebuild when the frame was replaced under warrantee. LBS charged R400.00 which included new cables and a headset bearing.

It's true and I'm sure it's part of the fine print of the warrantee. But I think it's absolute bull sh*t.

Why should you cover the cost of a new bb when Giant has failed to keep sufficient stock of the frame you bought?

Why should you pay for a rebuild, because their product has failed?

Bikes are starting to cost what small cars cost, it's time the cycle industry jacked up its after sales service. They took R20k plus from you, they promised (by means of a warranty) that it would remain free of defect for a period of time and now are too cheap to pay a bike shop the labour to rebuild their faulty product.

I think we as consumers have to make as much noise of these things as possible and maybe one bike brand will sit up and take heed. If one starts, the others will follow.

It's true and I'm sure it's part of the fine print of the warrantee. But I think it's absolute bull sh*t.

Why should you cover the cost of a new bb when Giant has failed to keep sufficient stock of the frame you bought?

Bikes are starting to cost what small cars cost, it's time the cycle industry jacked up its after sales service. They took R20k plus from you, they promised (by means of a warranty) that it would remain free of defect for a period of time and now are too cheap to pay a bike shop the labour to rebuild their faulty product.

I think we as consumers have to make as much noise of these things as possible and maybe one bike brand will sit up and take heed. If one starts, the others will follow.

The frame didn't even see 6 months before I noticed the crack.

For a manufacturer that stands by its frame (remember that is the only thing on the bike that they made and that has that lifetime warranty for the original owner) I think that it is very reasonable. Show me any other comparable product that has a lifetime warranty! The alternative is to restrict it to 6 months or a year, like most components. For a R20 000 frame, for free, I will not bitch and moan about a few hundred bucks to have it put together properly. As for keeping frames in stock in perpetuity.....impossible, if you want progress, improvements, new models! You cannot have your cake and eat it! If you are unhappy with how it works, buy a bike without a warranty, save money by doing so, and carry the risk of it breaking entirely yourself. Buy 2nd hand for that matter!

The frame didn't even see 6 months before I noticed the crack.

Look, you will get a brand new frame and a proper setup, see it as a major service and a new BB for your bike, what it actually is and pay for that.

BTW: how much is it all together?

Look, you will get a brand new frame and a proper setup, see it as a major service and a new BB for your bike, what it actually is and pay for that.

BTW: how much is it all together?

I dont know yet, I am upgrading the BB to a XTR, obviously I'll have to pay for the upgrade.

For a manufacturer that stands by its frame (remember that is the only thing on the bike that they made and that has that lifetime warranty for the original owner) I think that it is very reasonable. Show me any other comparable product that has a lifetime warranty! The alternative is to restrict it to 6 months or a year, like most components. For a R20 000 frame, for free, I will not bitch and moan about a few hundred bucks to have it put together properly. As for keeping frames in stock in perpetuity.....impossible, if you want progress, improvements, new models! You cannot have your cake and eat it! If you are unhappy with how it works, buy a bike without a warranty, save money by doing so, and carry the risk of it breaking entirely yourself. Buy 2nd hand for that matter!

I got a brand new 2013 Giant frame in 2015, I will understand if they don't have the frame in stock anymore.  I know the shop where I got the bike from, still have some of those 2013 frames.

Edited by Super Sywurm

I had to pay R600 for the strip and another R600 for the build when my Giant frame was cracked.